Any pilots here?

Associate
Thanks,

Basically no intention of going for a licence as I simply don't have the funds for it. But I live near Elstree & have been thinking about a trial flight just for the experience, any recommendations?

CPL here currently working on renewing my ratings/hour building. I fly from North Weald which isn't too far from Elstree! Might be able to work something out there if it takes your fancy?

Associate
OP
CPL here currently working on renewing my ratings/hour building. I fly from North Weald which isn't too far from Elstree! Might be able to work something out there if it takes your fancy?

That's not too far, went to a few car shows up there years ago. What were you thinking? Email in trust

Don
There must be some on here. There's a pilot on the Hexus forums, I can't remember his name right now, but his sig is his passenger plane.

Often talks about his travels :)

Soldato
I flew the Concorde simulator at BAE in Bristol from Heathrow to JFK and back.

I crash landed at Heathrow and killed everyone on board. It was a day of mixed emotion.

Soldato
Yes the speed was far too high, as was my angle of descent.

I knew at that moment I would never become a pilot.

Soldato
Sadly not, but I imagine being a chopper pilot is one of the best jobs in the world. Ever.

I can't imagine anything more awesome than being a helicopter pilot.

Sorry this doesn't help you, just wanted to say how awesome helicopter pilots must be :) Best job in the world!

Yep... I wanted to join the RAF.... sight problems, bye dream! then I thought hang on maybe you can fly helicopters for navy or something.

Oops.... bad eyesight.

RIP me....fail. Other options such as commercial licence are just too expensive.

Last edited:
Associate
Hi, long time lurker here so I'd thought I'd try to contribute :)

I'm a 737 Skipper and have about 7000 hours on a variety of different aircraft. I also had a flight instructor rating many years ago but that has long since expired.

I've not flown anything like a Cessna for about 10 years but basically the idea of a trial lesson is for you to have fun (and entice you into doing a PPL)

If I recall correctly it will be about 30/45/60 mins depending on what you are willing to pay. Regarding the cost, last year I got one for my girlfriend so she could get an idea of what I do. I think it was £220 for an hour in a C172, which is a four seater light aircraft. That was from Cambridge aerodrome.

During the lesson what you do will be pretty much up to you, if there is anything (within reason) you wish to see from the air you can do so, also the instructor should give you a basic explanation of the controls and let you try the fly the aeroplane. This will probably entail keeping the aircraft in level flight, climbing, descending, turns etc. Simple stuff really.

If your feeling really adventurous you could probably pay extra for an aerobatic flight but I wouldn't advise it for your first go. On a normal trial lesson you could ask your instructor to demonstrate a lazy 8, which is a very mild almost aerobatic manoeuvre.

Flying as a hobby as very expensive, commercial training more so. If you wish to get into flying for fun and don't have very deep pockets I recommend gliding. Its as much if not more fun than flying powered aircraft but significantly cheaper (Think £600 for a license as opposed to £6000 for a PPL, those figure are from memory and well out of date, a PPL could cost a lot more now)

I you have any interest in flying I say go for it, you'll have a great time.

Hope this helps.

Associate
Hi, long time lurker here so I'd thought I'd try to contribute :)

I'm a 737 Skipper and have about 7000 hours on a variety of different aircraft. I also had a flight instructor rating many years ago but that has long since expired.

I've not flown anything like a Cessna for about 10 years but basically the idea of a trial lesson is for you to have fun (and entice you into doing a PPL)

If I recall correctly it will be about 30/45/60 mins depending on what you are willing to pay. Regarding the cost, last year I got one for my girlfriend so she could get an idea of what I do. I think it was £220 for an hour in a C172, which is a four seater light aircraft. That was from Cambridge aerodrome.

During the lesson what you do will be pretty much up to you, if there is anything (within reason) you wish to see from the air you can do so, also the instructor should give you a basic explanation of the controls and let you try the fly the aeroplane. This will probably entail keeping the aircraft in level flight, climbing, descending, turns etc. Simple stuff really.

If your feeling really adventurous you could probably pay extra for an aerobatic flight but I wouldn't advise it for your first go. On a normal trial lesson you could ask your instructor to demonstrate a lazy 8, which is a very mild almost aerobatic manoeuvre.

Flying as a hobby as very expensive, commercial training more so. If you wish to get into flying for fun and don't have very deep pockets I recommend gliding. Its as much if not more fun than flying powered aircraft but significantly cheaper (Think £600 for a license as opposed to £6000 for a PPL, those figure are from memory and well out of date, a PPL could cost a lot more now)

I you have any interest in flying I say go for it, you'll have a great time.

Hope this helps.

I am currently learning to glide at the moment in an ASK21 2 seat glider , I have done 22 winch launches and 3 aerotow launches, including my membership fee, launch fees and soaring fees I have spent just under £700. I am quite a way off soloing yet because I am an old git, the youngsters pick it up a bit quicker.

Basic winch launch is £7.50, then £0.35 per minute soaring fee.
Aerotow to 3000ft is £34. Last night we were launching into a 15 knot wind and we were getting to 1400ft on the winch.
Instruction cost is included in the above prices.

It is great fun and gets addictive, very challenging mentally. Check out youtube for some good HD videos. At most clubs you can turn up at weekend and get a taster flight, remember make sure you fasten your parachute securely and strap in well.

Last edited:
Associate
I have a week of gliding lessons booked up for myself starting on August 22nd. 5 day course is £650 at Lasham and you are refunded if you do not do over 20 winch launches. Lasham do a yearly long pass to solo which is around £1200 and that price is set in stone and you take as many lessons as it takes to get you to solo. After that you need to buy yourself a glider really or a share in one and then you can work on your badges. Much cheaper than a PPL as said though. I've always been into RC glider flying and like the challenges gliding presents. I know Lasham have a few ASK21 gliders but expect I'll be stuck in an old ASK13 for my lessons, not that it really matters when learning. I will be trying to give the instructor a wink wink to take me up in the ASK21 at some point for some aerobatic fun, if possible.

Few friends at work are doing their PPL, doing the full PPL and it's working out at about £8000. I think there is a national PPL? which is about £2000 cheaper but with that license you can only fly in the UK I think, something like that.

I'm just keeping everything crossed for the week of 22nd of August. I've always wanted to fly and have done several experience flights in a Piper Warrior, Diamond Super Dimona, ASK21 glider in the past. They were all great fun. Sometimes Groupon has a deal that's worth while. Of course I also have many an hour spent on Microsoft Flight Sim and also Condor gliding simulator. Now it's time to see how I do in the real world :D

Soldato
I've been on the BA 747 sim at Cranebank as per Feek, and also an A320 and 737 sim at a place near Burgess Hill.

Went with a friend who is an A320 pilot for all 3. Did a few different scenarios and really enjoyed it. It's amazing doing it on a proper sim, and I'd thoroughly recommend it.

Associate
Finally posted a picture of 'JAX' ASK21 glider from last night, picture taken after the wind had dropped to 7 knots.

IMG_0327.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Man of Honour
Scuzi not about anymore? I remember he passed his PPL quite a while back, and got a job in air traffic control iirc.

Still around but not flying. Got as far as doing CPL/IR and then knocked up the wife twice which put an end to flying :p Still in ATC though and my role has me working frequently with the GA community, especially those who wander where they aren't supposed to be.

Highly recommend a trial lesson for OP. Give it a go and you're likely to catch the bug! Are you close to Denham? Fantastic little airfield owned and operated by two sisters, one of whom runs the flying school.

Caporegime
Plus they can say "Get to da chopper" in a professional capacity. :D

So expensive to train though and I'd guess most come through military backgrounds.

Yeah at least 100k to train, and ex-mil types who love flying will basically do it for free :p

Not at all feasible for most of us.

But still, an amazing job if you can get it :)

Soldato
Look into paramotoring . I've done 7 solo flights now and it's shiny. It really is the magic flying chair we all dreamed of. Training to a flying solo level is under a grand, total equipment cost is under 10 grand all new, less if you buy second hand.

It is easily the cheapest most personally accessible form of flight.

Back
Top Bottom