Any pilots here?

Soldato
Well yes def need wave for diamond! Probably Gold as well in this country! One step at time though :p Although another option is hill soaring the Rockies or Alps ;) As you say thermal flying is very much more art then science. Its about feeling the lift and knowing when and how tight to turn. I've not had much practice as I was based up in Scotland, hence the hill and wave soaring! Much more relaxing haha. Hill soaring is awesome, nothings more fun then flying at Vne over a hill at low level!

Yea thats what I always found frustrating flying GA and gliders in the south is that the airspace is everywhere! Can be quite limiting, although I'm sorry to say as an airline pilot I'm very happy to have lots of controlled airspace to keep you rabble away from my airliner :D

As I said I'm keen, my local club is Lasham which is expensive and again has airspace issues. I thought about driving down to Parham but it isn't open much during the week which is when I'd probably want to be flying. A share is def the way to go! So much cheaper, although I always preferred flying in the 2 seaters, its so much more social and you've someone to chat too!

Associate
My local club is Lee-On-Solent however I travel up to Lasham. Yes they're more expensive however they're open 364 days a year which has enabled me to progress as fast as I have. I think that Lasham will probably have more soarable days than Lee too due to it's close proximity to the water. I could be wrong there though. I am looking forward to flying fast along a ridge without losing any height. I've played at this in my simulator (condor) but doing it for real is going to be fun. That's one thing with going fast at height, it doesn't really feel fast. As for the relaxing bit, I'm OK once I know I'm getting away but when scrabbling at 900feet QFE trying to work weak lift to get away the palms can get a bit sweaty :D

If I head West from Lasham things get better with airspace. Farnborough is trying to get some more airspace which will impact Lasham and Parham. That's all up in the air at the moment with the gliding clubs fighting back each time. I am more than happy to be kept away from your big fast airliners! I'd not enjoy being hit by one of those at all :D

The problem with two seat gliders is the price, they cost a fair whack more to buy so you end up needing a syndicate of 4 or more ideally. I understand the social aspect but the ASK21 is a bit tankish in comparison to a single seater. There is so much more feel / responsiveness in the single seater I just prefer it when flying searching for thermals. I wonder what some of the larger more efficient two seaters fly like though?

Associate
Ahem... FL65 actually. Don't go to altitude 6500 there when the London QNH is 1013 or below!

Yup you're right my bad. I'm going by memory of my 1/2mil chart, oops. I'd been discussing this in my pre-flight briefing and after coming off the tow wound on 20mbar so I was flying set at QNH which was 1014 on the day :D I did take my chart with me and wasn't relying on memory whilst flying I just knew that if I didn't go past 6500 on the altimeter that day with QNH set at 1014 I wouldn't be getting a slap on the wrist, which is the last thing I want.

Soldato
My local club is Lee-On-Solent however I travel up to Lasham. Yes they're more expensive however they're open 364 days a year which has enabled me to progress as fast as I have. I think that Lasham will probably have more soarable days than Lee too due to it's close proximity to the water. I could be wrong there though. I am looking forward to flying fast along a ridge without losing any height. I've played at this in my simulator (condor) but doing it for real is going to be fun. That's one thing with going fast at height, it doesn't really feel fast. As for the relaxing bit, I'm OK once I know I'm getting away but when scrabbling at 900feet QFE trying to work weak lift to get away the palms can get a bit sweaty :D

If I head West from Lasham things get better with airspace. Farnborough is trying to get some more airspace which will impact Lasham and Parham. That's all up in the air at the moment with the gliding clubs fighting back each time. I am more than happy to be kept away from your big fast airliners! I'd not enjoy being hit by one of those at all :D

The problem with two seat gliders is the price, they cost a fair whack more to buy so you end up needing a syndicate of 4 or more ideally. I understand the social aspect but the ASK21 is a bit tankish in comparison to a single seater. There is so much more feel / responsiveness in the single seater I just prefer it when flying searching for thermals. I wonder what some of the larger more efficient two seaters fly like though?

Ah it hadn't clicked you fly from Lasham, as you say it's a great setup but not cheap. Sounds like airspace isn't as bad as I thought though.

Yea 2 seaters always going to be more expensive. I've only flown the K21 a handful of times, wasn't impressed. As you say it was heavy! I've flown the DG505 and that's much nicer, similar to duo discus. Nice and responsive, great performance etc.

I'll have to pop over to Lasham at some point and have a trial flight again haha. See how well I can keep the string in the middle! The only time you use the rudder in an airliner is in a crosswind or loosing an engine!

Associate
Re diabetes:

https://www.caa.co.uk/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=4294973794

Yes you can get a class 1 medical (needed for cpl) with diabetes but it would be restricted which may throw up issues should you want to go commercial.

However for ppl/nppl the CAA recently relaxed medical requirements in that as long as you have a valid DVLA driving license then you no longer need a class 2 medical (which used to be needed for ppl). Might want to double check the specifics on that one though because the official requirements page appears to have only been partially updated and is therefore as clear as mud.

Soldato
Congrats on your silver height! Skillful stuff to get it with thermals! I cheated a little and used wave over the highlands to get mine, and if you think thats cold, imagine 14,000ft over Scotland in Feb! I had about 5 layers on and was still freezing! Bad luck for the duration though, next time find a nice hill you can fly up and down haha, although some might say that isn't quite what silver is about!

I'm really tempted to get back into gliding, so much fun! Very jealous!

For Amraam, if you're interested in flying and especially if you are considering a commercial licence then you'll need to check to see if your diabetes will be an issue for the aviation medical. If you check the CAA website there should be all the medical information you need, and if you still have questions you can phone/email them or your local AME (doctor who does aviation medicals).

On the other hand the NPPL I believe has much loser regulation and so if you can't get a full aviation medical the NPPL might be the way forward, but you wouldn't ever be able to fly for money sadly.

Thanks. yeah, I've been sort of casually reading up on it as it's something I'd love to do but I'm not sure my 27k salary could cope :/ With regards to my T1D, the NPPL is a lot more relaxed, and almost the same level, so is the LAPL. I was told it's self certified and is to same restriction/level as a HGV driving license. It might be worth me speaking to my GP and seeing what he says.

It's a lot of money though, a LOT. I'd do it next week if I knew with certainty I could afford to keep it up and not waste it by letting it expire. The dream would be to become a flying instructor; any way to be paid to fly is the dream, basically ha.

Soldato
Re diabetes:

https://www.caa.co.uk/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=4294973794

Yes you can get a class 1 medical (needed for cpl) with diabetes but it would be restricted which may throw up issues should you want to go commercial.

However for ppl/nppl the CAA recently relaxed medical requirements in that as long as you have a valid DVLA driving license then you no longer need a class 2 medical (which used to be needed for ppl). Might want to double check the specifics on that one though because the official requirements page appears to have only been partially updated and is therefore as clear as mud.

Woops, didn't see this above as I'd clicked the alert link, which annoyingly doesn't seem to show any posts newer that the alert post. Thanks for this, makes me feel a little more reassured.

One day I will do this, or I will forever regret not. The guy I flew with was impressed with my knowledge and ability largely due to my sim time and brief real life experience. Lots to think about...

Associate
Ah it hadn't clicked you fly from Lasham, as you say it's a great setup but not cheap. Sounds like airspace isn't as bad as I thought though.

Yea 2 seaters always going to be more expensive. I've only flown the K21 a handful of times, wasn't impressed. As you say it was heavy! I've flown the DG505 and that's much nicer, similar to duo discus. Nice and responsive, great performance etc.

I'll have to pop over to Lasham at some point and have a trial flight again haha. See how well I can keep the string in the middle! The only time you use the rudder in an airliner is in a crosswind or loosing an engine!

I would offer to take you up for a flight however I need to be hold either Lasham's Yellow card or have done a BI course. I have been told though they'd be more than happy to put me forward to do a BI and I would then be able to help out flying people who come along to do experience flights. Quite chuffed that they offered me this option. I said I'd like to get some more experience under my belt first. I also think I will need a proper medical, at the moment I am self cert (drivers licence).

You saying about keeping the string in the middle. Due to the draft flowing into the cockpit in the Grob 102 my feet were numb. So when I ventured out from under the cloud into the sun I was pulling my feet back into the cockpit to try heat them up and fly without a rudder. It really doesn't work in a glider. You bank, nose goes the wrong way and you slip into the turn with a very high decent rate. I will have the opposite of your problem. If I fly anything else with smaller wings I'll use too much rudder :D

Soldato
I would offer to take you up for a flight however I need to be hold either Lasham's Yellow card or have done a BI course. I have been told though they'd be more than happy to put me forward to do a BI and I would then be able to help out flying people who come along to do experience flights. Quite chuffed that they offered me this option. I said I'd like to get some more experience under my belt first. I also think I will need a proper medical, at the moment I am self cert (drivers licence).

You saying about keeping the string in the middle. Due to the draft flowing into the cockpit in the Grob 102 my feet were numb. So when I ventured out from under the cloud into the sun I was pulling my feet back into the cockpit to try heat them up and fly without a rudder. It really doesn't work in a glider. You bank, nose goes the wrong way and you slip into the turn with a very high decent rate. I will have the opposite of your problem. If I fly anything else with smaller wings I'll use too much rudder :D

Well get on and get your Yellow card!! :p I'm surprised that Lasham would push/suggest a BI course so quickly after starting. It sounds like you've your head screwed on though and know that a instructor needs to have a decent amount of experience before teaching people to fly!

Ah good old adverse yaw! Luckily never an issue in airliners (we have yaw dampers) and rarely an issue even in spam cans as they have differential or frise ailerons. You'd be fine going to power as you just don't touch the rudder.

Associate
Well get on and get your Yellow card!! :p I'm surprised that Lasham would push/suggest a BI course so quickly after starting. It sounds like you've your head screwed on though and know that a instructor needs to have a decent amount of experience before teaching people to fly!

Ah good old adverse yaw! Luckily never an issue in airliners (we have yaw dampers) and rarely an issue even in spam cans as they have differential or frise ailerons. You'd be fine going to power as you just don't touch the rudder.

I too was surprised it was mentioned and I think the person I was speaking to more meant that I have the right character to be put forward to be a basic instructor once I have the experience. It's still good to know that I'm thought of in that manner. Myself though I know I'd be responsible for P2 so I would like to get many more hours under my belt before even thinking about the BI course. I am not one for being blase about the amount of responsibility being a BI comes with.

I've been reading the BGA Theory of flight and some gliders have differential ailerons to reduce the adverse yaw effect. I assume these are the more efficient and newer gliders. I do not think the Grob102 has these. It's not until you stop using the rudder that you realise it has become second nature to input rudder along with aileron to keep the yaw string centred. Those big metal spam cans sound far too automated :p you definitely need to get back into a glider where it all comes down to the coordination of the pilot's control inputs :D

Hitman
Soldato
Finally getting around to getting my training back on track after not flying since January. Popping down to the airfield tomorrow to have a chat and devise a plan of action for the remaining exams, a refresher flight or two, get the solo QXC done then prep for the skills test. I'm at 41 or 42 hours (have an hour night flying mixed in there somewhere) so with the fresher flight(s) + solo QXC I'll be over the 45 minimum mark and 10 hour solo time so don't need to worry about that at least. Not long hopefully and just in time for summer :)

Associate
If anyone's London based (or thereabouts) there is a new club that started at the start of the year doing a bit of a seminar type meet. last time I went it was sponsored by cirrus so there was a bit of a advertising pitch from them, followed by a talk from Andrew Haines (CEO of the CAA).

The next one is 31st of may and they have a Netjets captain/Airshow pilot doing a presentation on Desicion making in the modern cockpit.

I'll be honest it wasn't the most amazing evening ever but it's free and something a bit different to do on a Wednesday:

http://www.londonflyingclub.com/

Hitman
Soldato
Next big thing would be solo QXC, only just started my QXC training so few hours to go yet.

Awesome, hope the weather improves for you! I've been in for a chat this morning and we've devised a plan - should be back in the air next Monday weather depending, should hopefully get 5-6 hours flying in over the next 2 weeks (handling refresher, short dual nav, possibly some solo circuits to get my confidence back up), a week of ground school then finally getting the solo QXC done and straight onto skill test prep. Most excited to be getting back in the air!

Soldato
Sounds like a busy plan, I have been thinking about taking a week off and just finishing everything off, need good weather though. I have already done all my ground exams so just flying time I need.

Back
Top Bottom