Any reason to go for a HDD over a SSD when i only need 60gb of space?

Associate
Hi guys,

I'm putting together a system to install Win7 and 1 game (Guild Wars 2).
No music, videos etc etc.

I wont need much space, so I am considering buying a SSD (60gb) and running everything off of that. Hopefully it will be quick boot up times and generally good performance in game when I need to load sections/levels/maps.

So given that I don't need much disc space, is there any reason I should not got for a SSD?

And can you please recommend me a good SSD to go with some Z68 mobo, that's not going to be too expensive. In or abouts £50 would be a sweet spot.

Any gernal advice/warnings would be very welcome.

Thanks,
Brian

Associate
I'd imagine power and heat would be less as there's no moving parts.

Also worth remembering that there's less noise with an SSD.

As for what SSD to get, I got the M4 which a lot of people recommend on here and I've had no problems with it. The firmware update took 2 minutes and had no issues either. Everything installed and ran perfectly straight off the bat.

Associate
Yeah, power draw, heat and noise is reduced pretty drastically. So if you only need 60GB then there is no reason whatsoever to go for a HDD. The 60 gig SSD's are cheap these days. Reliability wise, you'll take full backups and have a warrantly so wouldn't worry.

I went for a 64GB M4 as a Z68 cache drive and its been no bother at all so would recommend that.

Associate
if you're going Z68, get the 60GB SSD and something like a 500GB HDD and make use of the SRT Cache. Best of both worlds.

Just using a 60GB drive for Win7 will run out of space pretty quickly. If you dont want to have the two drives, and just want the SSD, get a larger SSD instead.

Permabanned
I've never met anyone who's had a 60GB drive who hasn't filled it within 6 months and replaced it with more capacity.

For that reason, I'd never buy a drive that small.

Associate
I bet Win7 + GW2 will easily top 60GB.

Last time I tried Win7 ultimate on an SSD it alone came to 40GB... An new MMO should easily hit 20GB... If not at launch, then in time with expansions and patches.

Soldato
I've never met anyone who's had a 60GB drive who hasn't filled it within 6 months and replaced it with more capacity.

For that reason, I'd never buy a drive that small.

I've had a 60Gb in my Windows laptop for over a year with no issues. Use NAS for anything I want to access or keep.

Also had a 30Gb SSD in my media PC for a while with no issues.

Associate
Then you're one of the lucky few who are very strict on where their data is stored. Most people will fill that 60GB in a short timeframe.

Associate
Just be sure turn off hibernation and reduce the paging file to recover some space, I just built a PC with 16GB of RAM and as soon as I got W7 up and running I noticed 40GB of my 128GB SSD was already used up. I was shocked at first but then saw pagefile.sys and hiberfil.sys were massive! I can't remember how much Windows decided to use for the pagefile.sys but it was something near the whole 16GB as was the hiberfil.sys

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/819-hibernate-enable-disable.html

Back
Top Bottom