Any vegetarians/vegans in here?

Associate
I buy almond milk made by a company called "Rude Health" its about £2 for a 1ltr carton, so it gets expensive, but its has no additives and it's just almonds and water.
I am looking into making my own nut milk (haha), its very simple to make, that way, it will work out cheaper and I can be certain of no additives etc, and can make it rather than going to the shops regularly.

Soldato
Load of rubbish about milk.

Milk is designed to make a small calf from 45lbs to 500lbs.

A human is only supposed to have milk for like 6-12 months or whatever it is then can do without it perfectly well for life.

Calcium is a myth vitamin d is far more important for healthy bones. Obviously some calcium is needed but not that much

Well sure, but just because that's what it's designed for doesn't mean it doesn't contain stuff that's good for us, else you could rule out lots of food. Obviously being designed to help a small calf grow it contains a lot of fat, so we tend to remove that.

Caporegime
Well sure, but just because that's what it's designed for doesn't mean it doesn't contain stuff that's good for us, else you could rule out lots of food. Obviously being designed to help a small calf grow it contains a lot of fat, so we tend to remove that.

you can get the stuff in it from other sources though. it's not as if milk is the only source of those nutrients. and it's not exactly full of them either it has very little and large amounts of milk isn't good for anyone.

do you know that milk contains pus?

"They even think the amount of somatic ‘pus’ cells allowed in milk in the EU is too restrictive.

In the UK, a third of all dairy cows have mastitis each year – a bacterial infection of the udders. Like us, cows produce pus when they are fighting infection. Pus is made up of white blood cells and dead cell tissue carried in a thin fluid. White ‘somatic’ cells are the immune system’s ‘soldiers’ sent to attack bacteria causing infection.

At the moment, the EU permits consumption of milk with up to 400,000 of these somatic pus cells per millilitre. Milk with a somatic cell count of more than 400,000 is deemed unfit for human consumption by the European Union. This threshold is lower than the US requirement of 750,000 cells per millilitre. We don’t yet know what the British limit might be post-Brexit!

Average UK levels are around 200,000 pus cells per millilitre – that’s around one million cells in every teaspoonful of milk! Organic milk is no better – organic dairy farmers can’t use antibiotics to control the disease so the situation can be even worse."

https://www.vivahealth.org.uk/brexit-and-pus-milk

so enjoy all that pus you are drinking in milk - disgusting

you may want to watch the food documentaries on netflix - they are eye openers to the meat and dairy industries. their budgets and times are so restrictive a lot of food and dairy is contaminated with faeces, blood, pus, etc.

there is a guy on a line whose job it is to burst the massive pus filled sacs on dead pigs. and you see the pus come squirting out everywhere.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Milk = Milk

Almond Milk =

Almond Base (filtered water, almonds), tricalcium phosphate, sea salt, gellan gum, dipotassium phosphate, xanthan gum, sunflower lecithin.

I wont go about the added vitamins and stuff its just cornflakes, all a nice extra processes.

But at the end of the day Milk tastes better and i like proper cheese.

Soldato
Eww, thanks for the pus info. Probably need to read up a bit on that before I let that affect my decision.

But pus aside, I tried Almond milk for the first time today on my cereal and actually really liked it, so that's one thing in its favour.

Associate
quorn burgers are all rank apart from the southern fried chicken. linda mc cartney stuff is all rank. fry's stuff is really good but only morrisons stocks the range. their burgers are literally the best fake meat burgers you can get whereas quorn taste like cardboard and are really thin. as for bean burgers you can pretty much buy them anywhere and they are decent.

I agree the quorn burgers are rubbish, Iceland "no bull" burgers are much better. Availability of Fry's range must be area specific as 2 Morrisons near me stock no Fry's stuff at all. Sainsbury's sell lots of Fry's. The burgers are great but not as nice as Beyond Meat burgers that are in Tesco's but you're talking £5 for 2.For sausages I get Morrisons Vegan sausages 6 for £1.50 I think.The only Quorn stuff I buy are the vegan quorn pieces if I want a quick stir fry.Tofurky do some good stuff for sandwiches.

Caporegime
I agree the quorn burgers are rubbish, Iceland "no bull" burgers are much better. Availability of Fry's range must be area specific as 2 Morrisons near me stock no Fry's stuff at all. Sainsbury's sell lots of Fry's. The burgers are great but not as nice as Beyond Meat burgers that are in Tesco's but you're talking £5 for 2.For sausages I get Morrisons Vegan sausages 6 for £1.50 I think.The only Quorn stuff I buy are the vegan quorn pieces if I want a quick stir fry.Tofurky do some good stuff for sandwiches.

beyond meat burgers are huge in canada there is a fast food chain that does them over there that is like their version of mcdonalds

Soldato
There's an awful lot on nonsense being sold as science in the name of veganism. The whole "puss" thing reeks of it.

Be careful to check these claims out properly, i.e. not just heavily biased vegan propaganda, before taking them too seriously.

Soldato
Indeed would be interesting to know what the turnover/profit per metre from special foods stuffs is, in the supermarkets, these become a self-fullfilling prophecy, as choice for the regular consumer is reduced #1, well I suppose not if you buy online.
Not surprising Waitrose had fired their magazine editor a while back for a joking fatwa against vegans.

edit #1 ... what did they used to sell in the pet food aisle

Soldato
Being now an ex 'vegan' of 4yrs most of all these alternatives left me feeling hungry and unsatisfied plus they are filled with garbage ingredients also, so you are no better off!

Soldato
I like to dabble with Keto as well, which for me means lots more meat and dairy. Cheese cheese and more cheese, lots of butter lots of lamb and beef.

Then I do a few weeks vegan.

I only do it because, why not, diets interest me as does food nutrition.

I feel far better on the keto diets than I do on the vegan ones. Keto keeps me fuller, and get less urges to snack. Vegan I struggle with finding things I like to eat my saving grace was Huel, which i still eat often when I'm short of time.
It was good to see so many restaurants having options for vegans though.

Last edited:
Soldato
What are your experiences with Huel? I have recently considered it, I am looking for changes to my diet as I need to lose weight and increase my nutrition and it's one of the things I've come across.
I really like it. No downsides to it for me, tastes nice mixes well.

Man of Honour
What are your experiences with Huel? I have recently considered it, I am looking for changes to my diet as I need to lose weight and increase my nutrition and it's one of the things I've come across.

Huel is great if you dont have any reactions to it. Most flavours I’m okay with but the coffee one lead to headaches and severe stomach pain. If you can stomach it and find a flouvour you enjoy it’s a money and life saver. My favourite on it’s own is the new vanilla flavour, saves me buying breakfast at work and at roughly £1.50 a meal I’m saving a tonne of money. A flat scoop in smoothies seems to go a long way too.

Soldato
From R4 food programme average time prepapring a meal now 33minutes lol, hence convenience foods in supermarkets

but, for example, food for thought
Time Spent on Home Food Preparation and Indicators of Healthy Eating
Results: Individuals who spent the least amount of time on food preparation tended to be working adults who placed a high priority on convenience. Greater amount of time spent on home food preparation was associated with indicators of higher diet quality, including significantly more frequent intake of vegetables, salads, fruits, and fruit juices. Spending o1 hour/day on food preparation was associated with significantly more money spent on food away from home and more frequent use of fast food restaurants compared to those who spent more time on food preparation

Soldato
There's an awful lot on nonsense being sold as science in the name of veganism. The whole "puss" thing reeks of it.

oh absolutely but that is the minority using that as some sort of anchor point.
Most veggies/vegans apply the simple logic of 'modern farming sucks - so I dont get involved', which at the end of the day is all its really about.

Associate
I have a "vegetarian friend" at work who eats eggs and fish. Is this allowed as a vegetarian?
I see eggs as foetal protein and fish as a non-vegetable :) .
Personally, I eat a little meat and more veg.

Back
Top Bottom