Any vegetarians/vegans in here?

Associate
Good read. A fair few labels to be called.

^Whether or not you can eat eggs depends largely on the type of vegetarian diet that you follow. Semi-vegetarian and pescetarian diets allow for the consumption of eggs, as well as some animal or fish meats. Among pure vegetarians, lacto-ovo vegetarians eat eggs and dairy products, but no meat, poultry or fish. Ovo vegetarians also eat eggs, but do not include dairy in their diet. In contrast, lacto vegetarians eat dairy products, but not eggs. Veganism is the most restrictive vegetarian diet and does not allow for any animal products, including eggs, dairy and honey."

Caporegime
Was at a wedding on Saturday, turned out was completely vegetarian which was a first. This coming from my best friend who I have fond memories devouring a mountain of meat at an all-you-can-eat BBQ joint, and would regulalrly cook up giant steaks together.

At the wedding there was 12long term friends. 10 years ago one of these was semi-pescatarian, occasionally eating chicken or left overs from his kids. Now 8 of these friends are either complete vegetarian or vegan, another 3 go without meat 3-5 days a wee. only 1 hasn't changed their diet significantly.

It does feel that vegetarianism is rapidly expanding. I've started to reduce meat consumption with a planned gradual reduction until I am fully vegetarian in a few years. So far I haven't really kept up even my planned slow pace but eating vegetarian a couple fo times a week is real nice change. Going to force myself to be meat-free 4 days a week now

Soldato
but eating vegetarian a couple fo times a week is real nice change.
don't you find you do that naturally ?
Personally never have time or would contemplate a cooked breakfast, and dinners can be likes of mac'n'cheese or omelettes, easily several times a week, plus pulse-sides, ?

Apparently, for UK seems 7% vegetarian, but only 1% vegan uk
For those vegetarians who adopt this for animal welfare concerns, stds for dairy producing animals seem just as reprehensible, so I don't credit/respect that choice.
(I need to find some more stats I guess)
Pescetarians too, with farmed fish welfare, that's also more expensive option than meat too, unless you're living somewhere with high availbility (tinned sardines excepted)

[ edit : about motivation from grocer
did the veganuary folks read the small print, of no dairy, or were they vegetarian ?

with readable font
46432968344_2f42965354_b_d.jpg

]

Last edited:
Caporegime
I don't count a quick pasta+sauce, omelette as cooking though. Yes, they are vegetarian but I am meaning cooking a dish specifically without meat such as a nice lentil curry or bean chili.
I also don;t want the vegetarian meals to be replacing meat with dairy, so mac n'cheese or omelette I don't count, otherwise as you say there is little gain in either animal welfare or environmental reasons, let alone health.

Soldato
I don't count a quick pasta+sauce, omelette as cooking though.
not some kind of ready-mix/slurry/jarred sauce for sure ,

I couldn't see any stats on percentage of folks that can prepare an omelete or bechemel sauce from scratch, but it does need some skill,
indeed more precision, imhop, than a curry, albeit, for curries i usually cook spices with the browning meat, as opposed to an explicit curry paste prep.
I remember Michael Roux said he auditiioned chefs on an omelete

These just caught my eye
46724708114_da4edd60b0_z_d.jpg

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
This coming from my best friend who I have fond memories devouring a mountain of meat at an all-you-can-eat BBQ joint, and would regulalrly cook up giant steaks together.

I used to be the same, big meat eater. Been into weight lifting for the past 16 years so you can imagine my diet was very meat/protein based.

People look at me funny when I tell them I’m vegan. I watched a few documentaries and listening to some talks and I’ve never looked back. Some people do it for the animals and others do it for health reasons. I’ve never understood vegetarians who do it for the animals, milk and diary industry is horrific for the animals.

Soldato
I take a multivitamin and omega three capsule daily. I have no idea if it makes any difference and not sure how much is absorbed but hey ho.

I eat a vegan diet, unless I'm dining out which is when I'll eat fish and meat.

Associate
I take a multivitamin and omega three capsule daily. I have no idea if it makes any difference and not sure how much is absorbed but hey ho.

I eat a vegan diet, unless I'm dining out which is when I'll eat fish and meat.

so you don't really eat a vegan diet

Soldato
so you don't really eat a vegan diet

I'm not sure about you, but I go out once every two months probably. Whereas everything at home is vegan. I'm not sure that the odd bit of meat I have six times a year gives me the nutrients that I need which is why I take the multivitamins.

Would you rather I say "predominately vegan diet"?

Associate
I'm not sure about you, but I go out once every two months probably. Whereas everything at home is vegan. I'm not sure that the odd bit of meat I have six times a year gives me the nutrients that I need which is why I take the multivitamins.

Would you rather I say "predominately vegan diet"?

Well that is technically more correct

what you're saying for example

I a homosexual and love men most of the year but every so often I want a women, there for I would be bisexual not gay.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Would you rather I say "predominately plant based diet"?

Fixed :)

Veganism isn’t a diet, it’s a way of living.

This covers it nicely:

Is plant-based the same as vegan?

Not necessarily. The difference between “plant-based” and “vegan” may be subtle or vastly different, depending on the context and how the term is being used.

Generally, something that is plant based or a "plant food" would be "vegan" and suitable for vegans, but something that is vegan, may not be considered plant-based.

What is vegan?

Vegan (noun) refers to a person with specific political and ethical beliefs. Vegans (and veganism) means abstaining from anything that involves the use of animals or animal products.

Vegans not only eschew animal products from their plates but also from their entire life. Leather, fur, wool and silk are not worn. Products that are tested on animals, such as some cosmetics, are also not used.

A person who follow a plant-based diet is not automatically a vegan.

Just like not everyone who prays is automatically a Catholic.

Veganism (like Catholicism) is a specific belief and lifestyle choice. There are overlapping practices and similarities for sure, but there are differences as well, just as there are differences between Christianity, Catholicism and every other religion, even though all of them incorporate praying and worship.

A specific example would be the use a leather. A vegan would not wear or buy leather but a person follow a plant-based diet might and might also have no moral objection to leather or killing animals for leather. Their diets and dinners may look a lot alike but their beliefs and lifestyles are completely different.

Generally speaking, most plant-based dieters do not identify as vegans and many vegans do not follow a plant-based diet, which is more strict than a vegan diet.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom