• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anybody bought a PoV GTX465 recently?

Associate
i didnt take temps before but idle im getting 59-63C. im actually getting artifacts now so im guessing the card isnt stable although im gonna play around with it more tomorrow.

Associate
OP
congratz mate any chance you can try doing a few benchies, mines hanging while becnhing vantage, furmark or trying to play MW2, i used driver sweeper and cleared all the remains of ATI but no joy :(

Its probably one of the cores that is slightly unstable with the extra SPU's enabled. I'd suggest trying each card seperatly to determin which one is causing the issue. Then up the voltage a bit on the problem card using MSI afterburner and see if that helps.

Remeber the 465's probably come from the worst batches of GF100 chip with the best being saved for the 480's.

Soldato
i didnt take temps before but idle im getting 59-63C. im actually getting artifacts now so im guessing the card isnt stable although im gonna play around with it more tomorrow.

hmm thats quite high? my 470 idles 40-44 and thats in a crappy case with a single 80mm fan at the front for now, are the heatskinks the same as the 470?

Associate
yes i believe so, bit frustrating but im gonna try a few things tomorrow to try and sort it...i'll let you know how it goes

Soldato

Try either clocking the memory back down to GTX465 clocks or upping the core voltage one notch. I have read that this solves a few problems for other people.

Also reading the overclock.net thread there are a couple people suggesting using a different GTX470 bios (as the one on the POV card is different than the original card used to create the unlock pack).

As for my card, its perfectly stable running Mafia II and Just Cause 2 (benchmarking and games). Just Cause is randomly dropping back to the desktop (but still running), it did this with my GTX460 so I think its a driver issue rather than a card issue.

EDIT: My card also idles in the mid 40's with a custom fan profile (using MSI afterburner). This is in a Fractal Design Define R2 with manually controlled case fans @ ~ medium.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Try either clocking the memory back down to GTX465 clocks or upping the core voltage one notch. I have read that this solves a few problems for other people.

Also reading the overclockers.net thread there are a couple people suggesting using a different GTX470 bios (as the one on the POV card is different than the original card used to create the unlock pack).

As for my card, its perfectly stable running Mafia II and Just Cause 2 (benchmarking and games). Just Cause is randomly dropping back to the desktop (but still running), it did this with my GTX460 so I think its a driver issue rather than a card issue.

EDIT: My card also idles in the mid 40's with a custom fan profile (using MSI afterburner). This is in a Fractal Design Define R2 with manually controlled case fans @ ~ medium.

Do you have a link to this other bios? For some reason my card does not work in slot 2 if i put my physx card in slot 1 :confused:

It works fine in slot 2 on its own but as soon as my other card goes in, i get no display until i plug the monitor into card 1 and then 470 isnt even detected in windows. Works fine the other way aound though but airflow isnt great. Wondering if its the bios?

Soldato
Do you have a link to this other bios? For some reason my card does not work in slot 2 if i put my physx card in slot 1 :confused:

It works fine in slot 2 on its own but as soon as my other card goes in, i get no display until i plug the monitor into card 1 and then 470 isnt even detected in windows. Works fine the other way aound though but airflow isnt great. Wondering if its the bios?

Both here: (post 111)

http://www.overclock.net/nvidia/745228-gtx465-full-gtx470-flashing-guide-12.html#post9562482

And here: (Post 299)

http://www.overclock.net/nvidia/745228-gtx465-full-gtx470-flashing-guide-30.html

Both seem to suggest that trying a different 470 bios is advisable on the 470 as they use physically different ram chips to the card that the 470.rom bios was taken from).

I don't think this would cause the issue you are talking about though.

Ultim8 - Have you tried upping the core voltage a notch in afterburner? Some users on the overclock.net forums had to do this to get the card stable.

Post 287 here may help

http://www.overclock.net/nvidia/745228-gtx465-full-gtx470-flashing-guide-29.html

Associate
yeah voltage up a little gets it through, im gonna try the POV bios now, does anybody know if nvflash works leaving the 2 cards in at once? or do i need to remove one flash that then swap?

Associate
OP
yeah voltage up a little gets it through, im gonna try the POV bios now, does anybody know if nvflash works leaving the 2 cards in at once? or do i need to remove one flash that then swap?

Remove one first! I tried to flash with 2 cards in and nvflash let me erase the eeprom but would not let me flash the card. So i had to boot with just the biosless card in and flash it blind as there was no display. Worked luckily.

I found the PoV bios here

Its a bin file so you will need to load it with nibitor and then save it as a rom file so nvflash can use it. Mines running using it now so its safe :)

Associate
i've flashed with the pov bios but it still hangs in 3dmark so im going to play with after burner and find the right voltage then nibitor it into the bios.

Associate
Just received two of these Bad boys, Thanks OCUK!!

Will try and bench these before and after bios flash, and before/after overclock too (be interesting to see how they compare to say a GTX 460, clock for clock).

Soldato
Nice! Would also be interesting seeing the max overclocks on the ones that have been successfully unlocked.

Currently got mine stability testing at 700/1400/(stock memory). Relatively mild I know but I don't want to rush overclocking it tbh.

Ordered 2 on Tuesday for arrival tommorow, they chucked another tenner on the price!!

They didn't hike the price, they were on 'This Week Only', they have since come off the on offer price.

Back
Top Bottom