Anybody purchased using Cazoo?

Man of Honour
Seems to be the story with Cazoo and Cinch from talking to colleagues - when everything works fine they are great, when something doesn't go to plan they are an absolute shambles with no one taking ownership of sorting it.

It is why when I needed a car in 72 hours no ifs or buts I ended up going with a local dealer, even though I was limited for choice, rather than chance it with the likes of Cinch.

Soldato
Long time forum lurker here. I've read a few of the posts on here and thought I would take the plunge with Cazoo - sadly not the best experience as some of you may have had. I made a youtube video instead of typing out a review.

I'm surprised you didn't reject it earlier on.

After being told it had been ready a number of times, and it wasn't. Then finally it was ready but the dpf reported as clogged on the way home from pickup would have been the point I'd have said enough is enough.

Associate
A colleague used Cazoo recently to purchase a MK7 Golf R.

Wing mirror glass fell off on 3rd day of ownership, reading around seems to be common especially in hot weather so fine.
But he was also hearing a noise from the rear and so they collected next day to be fair to them. However upon inspection they told him the rear suspension might be shot and would need replacing, he lost confidence in the car and rejected it there and then. Not sure how a wrecked rear suspension gets missed in a '300 point check' and fair to say he won't be using then again.

Soldato

Wing mirror glass fell off on 3rd day of ownership, reading around seems to be common especially in hot weather so fine.
But he was also hearing a noise from the rear and so they collected next day to be fair to them. However upon inspection they told him the rear suspension might be shot and would need replacing, he lost confidence in the car and rejected it there and then. Not sure how a wrecked rear suspension gets missed in a '300 point check' and fair to say he won't be using then again.

Maybe it wasn’t one of the 300 checks?

Soldato
I bought one years ago and didn't know how to work it. I was blowing instead of humming. After a while the paper membrane got soggy and it stopped working. Probably the end of my musical career.

Man of Honour
Long time forum lurker here. I've read a few of the posts on here and thought I would take the plunge with Cazoo - sadly not the best experience as some of you may have had. I made a youtube video instead of typing out a review.

That sounds very bad.

I also suspect the warranty won’t cover much and issues could be very expensive on a car like that (and they aren’t exactly known for their reliability)!

Soldato
So even after all the issues you had you still gave them an above average 3/5? Why?

Soldato

I wonder whether it’s a unrecorded write-off? Check out ‘dodgy cars’ group on Facebook - so many unrecorded crashed Golf Rs being sold. If you run a VCheck or Car Vertical check with the VIN/VRM then you’ll be able to see if it’s been through salvage auction.

Soldato
Tv prograame - C4 why is my car so expensive, (thought it would be a mansplaining programme about chip availability)

actually sting operation, against cazoo and car giant, for selling cars that had had significant accident damage/catS,
companies had not done due diligence with the likes of vcheck to uncover these.

Associate
Look at this

Soldato
I have spotted a few cars I like the look of on Cazoo. Still unsure about buying a car I can't test drive. The mess they're in at the moment doesn't fill me with confidence either. If I make the purchase, they'll probably go under within the 7 day moneyback guarantee :rolleyes:

Soldato
I bought a Polo about a year ago from Cazoo - was very pleased. I didn't do much shopping around (can't be bothered) so it "felt" a little expensive (maybe 5-10%) but I also know used cars are/were expensive.

Bought it on Saturday and it arrived on the Wednesday I think and was in perfect order.

Lifetime ambition achieved though, buying an actual car online whilst drinking.

Soldato
They should have a search option to only show cars without imperfections.

Oh and they have doubled the admin fee too. I never buy cars from traders who add on admin fees unless they are willing to knock it off the screen price.

Soldato
I have spotted a few cars I like the look of on Cazoo. Still unsure about buying a car I can't test drive. The mess they're in at the moment doesn't fill me with confidence either. If I make the purchase, they'll probably go under within the 7 day moneyback guarantee :rolleyes:

Are you sure you can't? When we bought ours we opted to have it delivered to the nearest Cazoo garage rather than have someone drop if off at our house as I felt like it would be less pressured and easy to tell them "no, sorry, not good enough" if there was anything about the car's condition that I didn't like when I picked it up. I wasn't bothered about test driving personally but I expect if I'd asked they might have let me

Soldato
further cazoo rationalization, I assume their warranties are robust/independent even if the company went under.

Cazoo revealed that it intends to retail 40,000 to 50,000 used car this year as part of a bid to focus on fast-moving and high margin stock as part of its bid to achieve profitability after delivering 17,750 sales in Q4 (up over 100% YoY) and 65,000 in 2022 as a whole – down on its earlier 100,000 unit target.

Detail how the lower volume target will come alongside cuts to its UK operations, Cazoo said: “In the current economic environment we believe the right course of action for 2023 is to focus on further improving our unit economics, reducing our fixed cost base and maximising our cash runway.

“To enable these improvements, we are resetting our 2023 top line ambitions to 40,000 to 50,000 UK retail units, allowing us to focus on higher margin and faster moving inventory and to rationalise our operational footprint.

“In line with the lower unit expectations for 2023 and the current economic climate, we will be making our operational and logistics networks more efficient through the closure of certain of our vehicle preparation centre and customer centre facilities and making further headcount reductions.”

Back
Top Bottom