Anybody using a replacement IHS on 8600k?

Soldato
I delidded my 8600k as it had horrendous temps (fine at stock, bouncing off the thermal throttling with any overclock), replaced the intel stuff with thermal grizzly and had virtually no improvement, temps were still in the toilet.

Removed the IHS , redid the liquid metal, reinstalled (with AS5), temps were still garbage. I know the Evo212 isn't world class, but i thought it should be better than this!

Took it apart again and ran a stanley blade over the top of the IHS and it had a dish i could serve the kids breakfast in :(

Next step was going to be to lap the IHS, then a saw a GN video about using a complete replacement IHS, with a larger contact area, milled flat contact surface and a larger thermal mass.

Anybody seen a UK supplier for them? I've seen them on ebay coming from Poland but I'm not seeing a local source. Unless OcUK sell them and i'm not seeing them?

Associate
I see a video on Youtube and sure there was only a few degree's difference over the stock IHS.

I had the same issue with my 8700k, temp wise. I delidded and used Thermal Grizzly Krayounaut between the die and the IHS, then between the IHS and my NH-D14 cooler. My temps didn't change at all! I tried around 4 times, re applying, different techniques etc etc....

In the end I used Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut between the die and the IHS. Applying a very very thin layer on the die and on the IHS with the supply cotton bud. I then used Thermal Grizzly Krayounaut between the IHS and my NH-D14. Applying a large rice grain or small pea sized blob right in the middle of the IHS.

After that, instantly dropped 20*c. You can check out my ordeal here - https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/8700k-delid-made-no-difference-at-all.18818739/

I know for a fact my CPU was flat as it sat in the socket fine. Also the bottom side of the IHS sat fine on the CPU. However in all honesty I didn't check the top of the IHS.

How are you applying your paste? I found spreading the paste like Thermal Grizzly say leads to bad results, had that issue with my old 3570K. Once I used the pea method/blob in the middle, problem solved. So I always do that now despite of product instructions.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbTi5Ed89Yk There ya go!

Last edited:
Soldato
A custom ihs is going to do nothing for your temps. They are made for extreme overclocking to give the ihs higher mass and surface area. In a normal system you get 1c on a good day.

You must be doing it wrong or your ihs is not very flat at all.

Soldato
OP
How are you applying your paste? I found spreading the paste like Thermal Grizzly say leads to bad results, had that issue with my old 3570K. Once I used the pea method/blob in the middle, problem solved. So I always do that now despite of product instructions.

I've been using the pea method.

... your ihs is not very flat at all.

Yup :(

Looks like i'm going to invest in some wet & dry paper and ask the kids to give me an hours peace. (haha!)

Back
Top Bottom