Anyone bank with Nationwide. Check your inbox!

Caporegime
Don't have a savings account so I don't qualify. Yet I do everything through them with my current account and credit card. I'll send in a complaint and theaten to close my accounts. Banked with them for god knows how many years. Takes the **** if everyone else gets £100

I expect there will be a lot like this. Not sure if it will end up being a negative for them

Soldato
Had mortgage account with NW which my parents paid off the balance as part of my 40th birthday. Couldn't do much else as was in lockdown at the time. Do have an ISA and a current account which I only use to transfer money to/from it.

Soldato
And the bin. :p
Personally I think it would have been better if the £100 had just had the one condition attached.

Screw it £50 off the mortgage for just having the 1 thing would have been good enough for me :)

It's a little bit of a boring story but I had to move my current AC about 20 years ago because Nationwide wouldn't give me a debit card for some reason. This is why my current AC is with HSBC and my mortgage is with Nationwide.

Last edited:
Soldato
Send all your unwanted £100s to me.

Probably several thousands of account holders saying no as no longer alive, don't have internet etc.

Its to do with usury laws in some religions you have the absolute version on 'never a borrower or lender be'. I dont know but some may be obliged to refuse payment I guess, I dont get the logic but its like my Aunt used to go switch on the lights for people unable to touch switches on certain days as it would be 'working' for them to do so personally.

Credit cards not qualifying may be related to that is the commercial banking side of Nationwide not the old mutual side where voting rights and mutual status is aligned with the house lending and savers who enabled that was the foundation of these building societies I guess.

Their saving rates are not the best for sure, I was going to switch but...apathy wins again :p

Back
Top Bottom