Anyone bank with Nationwide. Check your inbox!

Soldato
Yeah I got this email the other day, very nice.
I’ve been with them for 25+ years. I personally think they are one of the best on the high street and online.

Last edited:
Associate
Disappointing :(

Have a current account (flex plus) and a small loan with them and did not get the email. Used to have my mortgage with them and also savings account.

Not sure how I feel to be honest. Maybe time to switch my current account and get the ££ being advertised.

Soldato
Damn I closed my Nationwide current account last year because I had too many and didn't use it so even if I still had it I still wouldn't get nout. :(

Also had some old legacy savings account which was transferred from some other building society Nationwide had swallowed up some years ago.

Soldato
their CEO was grilled today on r4Today as to why they haven't increased interest rate on basic savings account, she squirmed around.
- they made record profits, thanks Liz

e: Only £2Bn profit up 40% https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001lyxs 1:23

Which basic savings account? I've got several and they've regularly upped the interest rates on them throughout the past 12 months. My lowest is 2.5% which whilst being below the base rate certainly isn't the lowest on the market. I think the best instant access is around 3.7%?

They last increased them 1st of May so they'll no doubt go up again after the recent rate hike. They're certainly not alone in deserving criticism.

There are still some banks out there paying out less than 1% interest...

Soldato
My wife and I both got letters today (joint account and mortgage) so I guess we're both going to get the £100. At this rate we'll be able to pay the energy bill for a month :p

Soldato
For mortgage holders without a NW current account like me and some others posted on here, can't we just open a basic current account quickly so the money can be paid in or am I missing something? If a joint mortgage then it's £200 and not £100 so probably worth doing.

Last edited:
Soldato
Which is? :p

The terms of the cashback are on the mortgage itself. The T&C state a current account must be available on the day of payment but that's still around 10-14 days away.
Your Nationwide Fairer Share Payment
We’re delighted to confirm we will be giving you £100. This is because when we last checked on 31 March

You'd have to retrospectively go back in time

we've had a mortgage with them for about 15 years but no current account so nada for us

Similar here. Mortgage with Nationwide starting 2006.

I assumed that I didn't get the £100 because I started over-paying my mortgage 6 months ago and so they don't like me any more :p Seems to make sense now that you also need a current account with them. My current account is with Santander.

Soldato
Similar here. Mortgage with Nationwide starting 2006.

I assumed that I didn't get the £100 because I started over-paying my mortgage 6 months ago and so they don't like me any more :p Seems to make sense now that you also need a current account with them. My current account is with Santander.
And it needs to be utilised - haven't touched my NW Current Acc since they stopped the 5% on balances up to £2k. Used to cycle £500 through each month and keep it at 2.5k for ages.

Back
Top Bottom