Anyone connected their watercooling to a tap?

Associate
I was thinking that if you connect your water cooling directly to the water supply in your house you will get much better cooling. Not only it will be quiter as you will not need a pump and radiator but the water flowing through it will be much colder. In my house it is so cold that it hurts my teeth when I drink it :D

I was wondering if anyone has tried such a thing?

Soldato
for benching OK, but for an everyday system id quite like to goto that persons house and shove the other end of the loop where the sun dont shine. TOTAL waste of all thigns 'green' when theres a world of purpose built hardware out there to use

Associate
1) Water shortage anyone?

2) To anyone saying (ok for benching) then I am afraid you are mistaken too, as the pressure from a water mains far exceeds the pressure waterblocks are built to withstand (and probably a lot of res's) It'll blow the top off of your WB and that's not good.

So in conclusion, no, you can't :p

Soldato
Someone needs to create a thread called...

" The CPU Cooling Ideas That Just Wont Work ! "

and then have it turned into a sticky..

In the short time i have been here, ive lost count of the " Mini Fridge " idea lol :)

Associate
Ok, ok, but what if we make this economical? Example: The water goes through the computer and warms up slightly, then it goes into the hot water container! It would save us money, right? :D

Soldato
shadydelboy said:
1) Water shortage anyone?

2) To anyone saying (ok for benching) then I am afraid you are mistaken too, as the pressure from a water mains far exceeds the pressure waterblocks are built to withstand (and probably a lot of res's) It'll blow the top off of your WB and that's not good.

So in conclusion, no, you can't :p

^^ As he says, no! :p

after a fwe weeks it will have lost quite a lot of its cooling properties..

If you want to go mental, lay a loop 1 ft under your garden, cold and heats your plants. Winner. :p

Soldato
shadydelboy said:
1)

What? So your taps run fully open :confused:

Associate
If you understand it then you must know that pressure and flow (which happens when you open taps) are different?

DD used to have big disclaimers up about it as people were losing blocks to it.

Didn't mean to sound like a git BTW, just my sarcy overtones :p

Wise Guy
Soldato
Been there, done this.

It worked great, the 4c water temps helped drop my old XP2500 bartons temps by a huge amount, something like 17c iirc.

As for the pressure, well if you manage to "blow the top off of your block" then you would have to be a totaly disfunctional motherhubbard, you use the tap itself as a pressure regulator, when you see the hoses start to swell with the pressure, you know you're near the limit. Plus remember taps in every house have a different pressure, my new house has pathetic tap pressure, where as my old house was like an h2o eruption.

As for being green, well I run my system like that for about an hour and probably used no more water than the guy next door to you uses when he's watering his plants, sprinkling his lawn or washing his car/wife.

Since when did overclocking and tree hugging go hand in hand? just think of all the heat polution and extra electricity costs/production an overclocked PC uses compared to a stock one.

Back
Top Bottom