Anyone else buying gold?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I’m sure you have all seen the big push on the TV and adverts around the place offering to buy gold, I have a friend in the know who gave his job up and now plays the currency markets, he has recently been buying up gold/silver coins and and the general prediction is that gold will double in price and silver could go the same way if not much more, clearly these are predications and with any kind of investment there is a risk.

I have been watching this site and see the gold Krugerrand go from £580 to £650 in the last 6 weeks.

http://www.goldinvestments.co.uk/shop/ (live prices)

I’m leaning towards making an investment myself, if another stockmarket crash happens it could rocket up in price, the last crash did not have this effect as large banks and investeres flooded the market with gold to safeguard there cash flow issues, but seeing as that has now happened another stockmarket crash would not have the same effect, that would be why we are seeing a flood of “sell your gold adds”

With the euro, $ and £ all doing quite badly against each other gold/silver seems to be the way to go when the stock market goes sideways and more so if and when it crashes…

Be interested to know others views on this?

Soldato
Months ago I would agree (with hindsight I say this). But today I would be a lot more careful, hasn't the "worst" already happend in regards the the euro/pound etc?

I cant see another major crash happening any time soon.

Soldato
OP
Months ago I would agree (with hindsight I say this). But today I would be a lot more careful, hasn't the "worst" already happend in regards the the euro/pound etc?

I cant see another major crash happening any time soon.

i would agree, but the market has been going sideways for sometime now, and the price of gold is still rising, where it will rise or fall to is where the risk is and where you become loaded of weighed down with coins! :D

Soldato
OP
The prices of Gold & Platinum are still rising rapidly, Silver is a bit of a dark horse as it's price never stays steady.

i have a 5k sitting doing bugger all, getting me a few quid each month, i wanna invest and buy up some small coing (£650 each) and then hopefully cash them in a few months down the line, but if i'm honest i'm having trouble parting with the cash! as it could go sideways!

Caporegime
the point is, these people know gold is on the up as predicted late last year

Don't they just melt the gold down into bullion and sell it on the open market? I'm not aware of these places being fronts for gold speculators, just looking for a quick cash return on a high commodity price.

Soldato
All depends on the carat(purity) and weight of your item

Yes but thats what I want to know, how do I work that out? Ive got bits and bobs of gold jewellery lying about, but I just worry one of these companies would undervalue it to get as much profit themselves, surely there must be a rough guide of it somewhere.

Usually the hall marks will state the Carat of you're gold the weight well use some scales and then you should be able to calculate the price but you are correct the companys advertising on the TV will try to get the smallest price possible they'll always offer under the asking price as they're targeting people who are becoming desperate for cash

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes but thats what I want to know, how do I work that out? Ive got bits and bobs of gold jewellery lying about, but I just worry one of these companies would undervalue it to get as much profit themselves, surely there must be a rough guide of it somewhere.

well, 24 carat is 100% so you can work out the purity from there.
spot price in pounds can be found at many sites - here's one http://www.goldline.co.uk/metalPricesPage.page

easy to work out.
don't go for one of those places offering to 'buy gold now!' - they will rip you off.

Soldato
Last question and then I will shut up, the lower the carat the lower the purity then? So something thats 9 carat is a lot less pure (and therefore worth less) than something thats of a higher carat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom