• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone else just unenthused about gaming and hardware?

Soldato
Bought a Switch, haven't turned my PS4 or PC on since I got it. Haven't had a Nintendo system since the Gamecube, I've forgotten how quirky and different their games are.

A breath of fresh air after the last few years of grimdark TPS/FPS titles I'd been playing on PC and PS4.

My 970 is getting a little long in the tooth but there's nothing appealing to upgrade it with right now. The 5820k/32GB guys of PC will last for many many years so I'm in no rush. Maybe when I finally get that OLED TV I'll stick a beefy GPU in.

Soldato
This woke me up, shockingly woke me up the past month when I came back to the Crysis series. More so the very first game but still, 2 wasn't all that different. Though some stuff did start creeping in. Notice how all these games don't hold your hand? No stupid quest markers, no daft compass direction if you get lost, very few tutorials if any, the hud isn't littered with endless what to do's and what this is to spell it out for you. Press this, now press that for this to happen. This is a gun. This is ammo. You put it in a gun, press this button to fire. Shoots his foot, falls and blows his head off...

It is like Quake Champions, I remember there was no such thing as in game Youtube guides and tutorials on what to do. I remember the days if you were stuck and badly, sometimes people posted what you had to do. Sometimes and mostly you had to work it out for yourself.

While some games it helps as some games there is so much happening on screen but a huge degree it feels like todays games have been heavily dumbed down behind the pretty graphics. Though I love the pretty graphics. :D

Yes that is so true about games being dumbed down now – and ruining the view by cluttering the screen up with superfluous nonsense. I really liked some of the early COD games, then around COD MW2, I’m ice-climbing up a beautiful snowcapped mountain, just me and my squadmate. I’m climbing and running and jumping, not even w+m1 for once and it was pretty cool. Then, inexplicably, a massive “FOLLOW” beacon appears above the NPC’s head, destroying the view and the immersion with it. Even if you look away from the npc to try to take a screenshot of the mountain view the comical “FOLLOW” Moron sign will stay on screen to ruin the view and prevent any pesky immersion from creeping in.

I worry about the wellbeing of the playtesters who genuinely could not figure out what to do in the game, without a huge FOLLOW sign above the head of the only NPC. What were they doing? Just repeatedly throwing themselves off the cliff to their death because they could not figure out that the way to go was the only path that the only npc was taking? Yep so just go ruin the visuals for everyone because one moron might play the game. The mind boggles.

The older games are so much cleaner and immersive without this nonsense.

Permabanned
Wont be upgrading until Volta, upgrading every gen is pointless and waste of money unless your benching which is still a waste of money. No more Titans for me either, will be waiting for Ti from now on

Soldato
i am disheartened by the whole graphics card scene. Not looking forward to a mountain of faffing about just so i can get this 1080 to actually run as a ****** 1080 :(

Associate
It's funny the only 2 newish games I've played in the last year that I completed were GTA V and Witcher 3. Everything else I got bored with.

When I'm not enthused about any games but still have an itch to play something I'll play FTL, which my steam is now showing 600 hours played! Really making good use of my GTX 1080 :p

Associate
I feel it's only the GPU market that is getting stale just now. You have the RX 580/1060 that should be no more expensive than £199, the 1070 should be a £300 card, 1080 £400 with the Ti coming in at £500. These would be reasonable prices, but paying a boll*ck aching 700 notes for a Ti is just silly money. These cards (including Vega) are just half baked GPU's that are nowhere near future proof. I would call the 1080 Ti a minimum 4K card as it still struggles maintaining 60/4K on certain games and next gen hasn't even arrived yet.

Personally, i'm not spending a penny on any upgrades (TV or GPU) until HDMI 2.1 (4K/120Hz, Dynamic HDR Support, Game Mode Variable Refresh Rate Advantage, etc) has hit the market at a decent price. Period.

Chasing 4K gaming is just a fool's errand just now as it's not even matured yet, plus the money it costs to drive it (presently) will just give you diminishing returns on your investment.

Back
Top Bottom