• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone else just unenthused about gaming and hardware?

Soldato
Some interesting points in here about modern games looking fine on medium settings – I want to disagree but I can’t – it’s usually true. And I’ve tried to find the differences between High and Very High settings many, many times but usually the only discernible difference seems to be reduced performance.

Caporegime
Some interesting points in here about modern games looking fine on medium settings – I want to disagree but I can’t – it’s usually true. And I’ve tried to find the differences between High and Very High settings many, many times but usually the only discernible difference seems to be reduced performance.

I play CS:GO everything on MAX and buffering turned off.

PUBG I have everything on ultra low bar textures and view distance. view distance on medium and textures on high. all the other settings only make minor changes like shadows, etc. shadows make a 20% hit on FPS yet they are useless in terms of competitive play having them on high.

Soldato
I'm far more interested these days in new laptops, mini-PCs or tablets that are out.
Desktop hardware is a bit of a drag, although it is good to see the CPU sector heating up. I enjoyed the Vive for the while I owned it, but it very much feels like a first-gen product.

I'm unwilling to pay £300-£400 for graphics cards that should be £200 or less. I've had more fun on an ancient second hand Wii U and Zelda recently, than I have in the last year on the PC.

Soldato
I play CS:GO everything on MAX and buffering turned off.

PUBG I have everything on ultra low bar textures and view distance. view distance on medium and textures on high. all the other settings only make minor changes like shadows, etc. shadows make a 20% hit on FPS yet they are useless in terms of competitive play having them on high.

The thing is CS:GO looks like it came out back in 2003/2004. If it didn't run well on a GPU costing 100's people would really start to think wth is going on here?

Caporegime
I'm far more interested these days in new laptops, mini-PCs or tablets that are out.
Desktop hardware is a bit of a drag, although it is good to see the CPU sector heating up. I enjoyed the Vive for the while I owned it, but it very much feels like a first-gen product.

Yeah I recently got a surface book and it's a refreshing change to computing, I can still play indie and older games on it whilst lounging around or in the garden and the ability to use the pen on screen for tasks or work is delightful, the whole thing set me back around the same amount I paid for just a 1080ti on release. I'm not missing AAA gaming or max graphics one bit so far but I hope for the industry and all of us (would someone think of poor @Boomstick777 buying and selling all that new hardware) that the standard improves and buying into expensive hardware reaps substantial benefit.

Associate
tha
Agreed with Jedi. I am so impressed with my 1080Ti and really enjoying gaming on it. I could actually see me skipping Volta etc and sticking with this but probs won't as that is boring :D

It's exactly how I still feel, one year later, about my 1080 :). I can see it lasting for quite a while ...

Next big upgrade will be when real 4K is a thing, with serious monitors, with decent size and decent refresh, definitely not the 60 hz crap.

Associate
Who does, these days? A 1080ti is £700, to build a PC with similar tier components would set you back between £1000 - £1500!

That's crazy money.

But crucially, do we *want* to price people out of the PC gaming space? That means less effort from developers targeting the PC platform, as all us "norms" ( :p) opt for consoles instead.

If enough people are priced out of PC gaming, even the people with bags-o-money will suffer.

well, a serious rig will cost a pretty penny but you don't build a computer every year. In fact the way things go right now, you can build an awesome computer and keep it for the better part of a decade, only upgrading what really needs upgrading or changing. All in all, it's not too bad at all, plus you don't have to always buy the absolute best parts and you don't even have to keep upgrading parts every year.

Point is, you are only priced out if you really keep dreaming about the best parts for everything. Otherwise you can get a lot cheaper everything and you're not priced out at all.

I take a PC over a console any day, have a huge library of games going back to DOS days!

V F

V F

Soldato
I take a PC over a console any day, have a huge library of games going back to DOS days!

A couple of nights ago I tried going back to the PS3 playing Metal Gear Solid 4 trying to take on the Screaming Mantis. My god, how awful the Dualshock 3 controls are for that game. I got killed so often spending so much time trying to aim. Huge deadzones then when it does move it is like mouse acceleration. Incredibly frustrating. Its either so slow to move then when you do get it to move it becomes accelerated and overshooting.

Soldato
Agreed with Jedi. I am so impressed with my 1080Ti and really enjoying gaming on it. I could actually see me skipping Volta etc and sticking with this but probs won't as that is boring :D

See I have been skipping things till Volta from the current 980's. But not seeing where we are and the performance increase I may even wait another gen and see what Navi 20 and whatever Nvidia have around 2020. That means my system would have lasted 6 years just fine and that seems reasonable.

Associate
I'm similar, the fun of rebuilding/upgrading has easily surpassed the fun of actually playing the games in the last few years. However, I did jump in with lots of other people and bought the rift a week ago- while the games are pretty rubbish/shallow, the actual experience is awesome and it's the first time in a long time that I've been excited to try something

Edit: Is there an award for longest member without posting? :D

Soldato
I'm similar, the fun of rebuilding/upgrading has easily surpassed the fun of actually playing the games in the last few years. However, I did jump in with lots of other people and bought the rift a week ago- while the games are pretty rubbish/shallow, the actual experience is awesome and it's the first time in a long time that I've been excited to try something

Edit: Is there an award for longest member without posting? :D

Wow. It took you 8 years! :eek:

At this rate, your first MM purchase will be a 9980ti :p

Associate
Wow. It took you 8 years! :eek:

At this rate, your first MM purchase will be a 9980ti :p

Yeah, I seem to remember that when I joined the rules for MM were something like being a member for 3 months and 50 posts. Maybe my memory is wrong though. But I think I should still be judged against the rules in force when signed up :p

Soldato
Unenthused? yes, I haven't built a new rig since 2012, this might even be my last one. I might not bother again. There's no way i'm paying over the odds for a 580 they should be £250 max, and because of the terrible state of the GPU market i'm not going to spend any money at all on PC hardware for the foreseeable future.

PC gaming has got to the point where its just a rip-off.

Soldato
Unenthused about some modern gaming (except for VR!) alright with its shiny shiny graphics and lack of substance – it’s all fur coat and no knickers! And the fur coat doesn't even perform properly - it always seems to let the rain in on release :(

But getting very re-enthused about slightly older gaming. Replayed some of the classics – half-life, Bioshock – wow it is astonishing how much they absolutely blow the socks off the modern beautiful rubbish. I had feared that the outdated graphics would ruin it for me, but of course gameplay, character, story, depth, immersion etc. etc. beats the shiny-shiny for me every time. Everything maxed out and no performance problems! It's like a dream :)

Just started replaying Borderlands 2 with a new character, now I’m not even going to play the last new game I bought, let alone buy more of these modern games with their perennial performance problems e.g. DXMD et al. I will come back to them in two years or so when they work properly.

Hopefully.

V F

V F

Soldato
Unenthused about some modern gaming (except for VR!) alright with its shiny shiny graphics and lack of substance – it’s all fur coat and no knickers!

But getting very re-enthused about slightly older gaming. Replayed some of the classics – half-life, Bioshock – wow it is astonishing how much they absolutely blow the socks off the modern beautiful rubbish. I had feared that the outdated graphics would ruin it for me, but of course gameplay, character, story, depth, immersion etc. etc. beats the shiny-shiny for me every time. Everything maxed out and no performance problems! It's like a dream :)

Just started replaying Borderlands 2 with a new character, now I’m not even going to play the last new game I bought, let alone buy more of these modern games with their perennial performance problems e.g. DXMD et al. I will come back to them in two years or so when they work properly.

Hopefully.

This woke me up, shockingly woke me up the past month when I came back to the Crysis series. More so the very first game but still, 2 wasn't all that different. Though some stuff did start creeping in. Notice how all these games don't hold your hand? No stupid quest markers, no daft compass direction if you get lost, very few tutorials if any, the hud isn't littered with endless what to do's and what this is to spell it out for you. Press this, now press that for this to happen. This is a gun. This is ammo. You put it in a gun, press this button to fire. Shoots his foot, falls and blows his head off...

It is like Quake Champions, I remember there was no such thing as in game Youtube guides and tutorials on what to do. I remember the days if you were stuck and badly, sometimes people posted what you had to do. Sometimes and mostly you had to work it out for yourself.

While some games it helps as some games there is so much happening on screen but a huge degree it feels like todays games have been heavily dumbed down behind the pretty graphics. Though I love the pretty graphics. :D

Associate
This "Games tell you what to do" I feel is the cross over with console games.

Consoles always seem to have more of a hold your hand type view, maybe because of the expected audience?

PC games seem to be going the same way :(

Soldato
tha

It's exactly how I still feel, one year later, about my 1080 :). I can see it lasting for quite a while ...

Next big upgrade will be when real 4K is a thing, with serious monitors, with decent size and decent refresh, definitely not the 60 hz crap.
I enjoy high hz on my 1440p screen too, funny thing is when playing my Switch or something in handheld mode, i actually don't mind the lower frame rate so much for some reason.

Can't beat silky high fps though, super smooth on the eyes.. It's like 60fps was fairly smooth but 120+ is super silky smooth.

Think I'll go 4k in a couple of years when screens mature, better response time etc.. By then single GPU's should have decent grunt for 4k & high hz too :)

Associate
I must admit, I too have felt a little unenthusiastic about current PC tech. Back when I first got into computers, there was always something new and significantly better just around the corner. These days, meaningful upgrades take longer and longer to come around. The flip side to that is ever since the days of the core2quad, I've not really had to do a massive amount of upgrading every year to carry on enjoying the titles I play!

My big gripe with gaming is more the games themselves. There doesn't seem to be much all that interesting around at the moment (to me anyway). I'm a lover of management, strategy and builder games, and most of the current stuff out couldn't be less interesting if it tried to be. Last game in the genre I really enjoyed was Rimworld and that doesn't exactly require anything meaty hardware wise!

Soldato
This woke me up, shockingly woke me up the past month when I came back to the Crysis series. More so the very first game but still, 2 wasn't all that different. Though some stuff did start creeping in. Notice how all these games don't hold your hand? No stupid quest markers, no daft compass direction if you get lost, very few tutorials if any, the hud isn't littered with endless what to do's and what this is to spell it out for you. Press this, now press that for this to happen. This is a gun. This is ammo. You put it in a gun, press this button to fire. Shoots his foot, falls and blows his head off...

It is like Quake Champions, I remember there was no such thing as in game Youtube guides and tutorials on what to do. I remember the days if you were stuck and badly, sometimes people posted what you had to do. Sometimes and mostly you had to work it out for yourself.

While some games it helps as some games there is so much happening on screen but a huge degree it feels like todays games have been heavily dumbed down behind the pretty graphics. Though I love the pretty graphics. :D

Oh my goodness, thank you so much for reminding me to replay the Crysis series :)

I can finally max out Crysis now (I hope!) - ten years after release!

Back
Top Bottom