Anyone else regret going full water ?

zia

zia

Associate
Having been on water for about 2 years , i,ve just rebuilt my rig with new mobo, cpu, took me only couple hrs.only had to shell out for new tubing.temps are nice and low.virtually silent.couldn't ask for more.

zia

Associate
My heavily overclocked sli maxwell setup and cpu would have melted by now if I wasn't on water. System never gets loud, never throttles and maintains decent temps. Whats not to like about that!

Associate
It`s overpriced for what it is, plus if you are into trying all the new GPU-s and whatnot buying fullcover waterblocks adds up, if I would have the option to keep using my water or get the money I payed for it, I would take the money, there is no noise differences in air vs water, all you get is slightly better temps on water.
If you use the same nice and quiet 140mm fans on ur CPU cooler and perhaps invest in a aftermarket GPU cooler that supports 140s aswell, then it`s just as quiet as water. So i say save ur money and stick to air.

Soldato
Cant say I regret it at all.
Much quieter & cooler, was fun to build & yes when you come to upgrade parts or swap them out it's a bit of a pain the benefits IMO outweigh the hassle.

Soldato
You can put in way more volts without a big rise in temperature because the thermal capacity of water is higher and the radiator space is massive.

It's clear that you have a massive hard on against water so I'd suggest visiting another section.

Associate
I clearly dont have a massive hard on, against water, I`ve used water for years and still do, but face it, it`s overpriced for what it offers, if you have more money then you know what to do with, sure build yourself a watercooling loop, but if you are on a budget forget about it, is what I am saying, it gives you exactly nothing compared to decent air.
The main reason I built the loop is that it was fun to build.
These days you can run 5.2ghz 7700K on a 600rpm aircooler without issues, so wasting money on water is for those who have too much of it, and dont know what else to do with it.
Infact I am in the process of disassembling my loop and selling it off for the same reason.

Soldato
Water with flexible tubing is great. As others has said you only need to change the GPU block if you later decide to upgrade as most CPU blocks cover all sockets.

Rigid hardline tubing is where the grey area of watercooling starts for me. There is no doubt it looks great, but it is incredibly time consuming, expensive, a PITA to work with if you later change something and if you get a leak it is much more difficult to fix.

Best stick to flexible, it can be done cheap and works brilliantly.

It's part of the hobby. I don't think I'll ever stop watercooling :)

Last edited:
Associate
it`s overpriced for what it offers, if you have more money then you know what to do with, sure build yourself a watercooling loop.
Woah, nice way to have a dig at a massive percentage of the people on this forum and in particular this sub forum.

Associate
No regrets on custom water cooling, I tried AIO the EK predator rage for CPU and GPU but after a few leaks and peoples troubles, I went custom again, one thing I am glad of is I stuck with flexi tubing and didn't go solid tubing. I can change M/B and CPU with out even draining the loop. GFX card is different of course but even so a drain and GFX card change would not be to much of a pain. Its nice to game in silence with no screaming fans wind tunnel affect going on. and with Pascal cards core throttling starts early due to heat.

Soldato
No, still using my CPU Block from x79, radiator from x58 in my x99 custom external loop.

I did not waste money on costly fittings generic ones will do and stick to flexible tubing.

To upgrade my GPU turn off two ball valves, drain that part of the loop out comes GPU new one in. Ball valves turned on pump on max/rpm bleeding for a short while check temps and leaks if ok job done.

No worries about temps best of all silence.

Soldato
No regrets. Sure it can be a bit of a pain at times. But it takes building a pc to a whole new level of DIY, and becomes a whole new part of the hobby.

Plus PC is dead silent and running max OC's even at full load. Would never be able to acheive this with Air cooling.

Back
Top Bottom