Anyone else regret going full water ?

Associate
Some regrets here. Air was quieter at idle (e.g. GPU fans off, no pump for CPU etc.).

Water would be quieter under load than air BUT there is coil whine from GPU which defeats the point ! And when taken cost and time into consideration it was good fun but hardly worth it. If I had GPU with less coil whine under load it would still be hardly worth it.

Associate
it is costly and takes a little effort but I think its worth it . allows me to game in summer quietly with no problems & touch wood since my pcs been under water I haven't had a gpu failure

Associate
I think water is MUCH better if you have rad space. Given enough rad space and decent airflow in the case, you can run the fans at low speeds.
It's also better at throwing the heat away from the case and not back in, which is always a + for passive cooled parts such as MB, hdd/ssd, mem.
the con is that it's expensive and requires a bit of maintenance. Also you're not going to move that fu**er around!

Soldato
I think water is MUCH better if you have rad space. Given enough rad space and decent airflow in the case, you can run the fans at low speeds.
It's also better at throwing the heat away from the case and not back in, which is always a + for passive cooled parts such as MB, hdd/ssd, mem.
the con is that it's expensive and requires a bit of maintenance. Also you're not going to move that fu**er around!

Absolutely. I would say 120mm rad space for every component and then preferably 240 again... That will give sufficient head room to run the fans and pump at low RPM.

Associate
I swore I was going back to air after the recent 5820k problems I was having, had a dual loop and must have drained it 10+ times over the last 16 months, Short Version CPU died again ( I was having bad luck ) RMA on CPU, and ended up buying a 7700k and a 1080ti to replace the 5820K and 980 Ti in SLI, Well, seeing as I already had the pumps, fitting etc ....... ended up buying a monoblock and a block for the 1080ti, its silent going at idle and load, which cant be compared to air, all in all, don't think I would go back to air, as much as I wanted, its just so much quieter, and saves me using the bank to save money, I can just throw it into the PC lol

480+240 = more than enough.

XP7Hv4s.jpg

Soldato
Could you do parallel rads much like you can have parallel blocks? Theoretically that should halve the restriction. It might have an adverse effect on temps because the water would only flow through a single rad but it would also spend longer in the rad.

Caporegime
Could you do parallel rads much like you can have parallel blocks? Theoretically that should halve the restriction. It might have an adverse effect on temps because the water would only flow through a single rad but it would also spend longer in the rad.

In theory, the amount of cooling potential lost won't be as high as you are thinking, the water still flows through two rads, just splitting the flow rate.

The water will still reach equilibrium anyway.

Permabanned
No not really. enjoyed the learning and tinkering process plus added benefit of much lower temps and noise, although I do have an annoying buzz coming I think from the pump, but nothing that can't be sorted.

Saved money where I could by buying most of it second hand bar the GPU block, tubing and fans.

Soldato
Yes, and this is actually the best way to connect rads, the reason they are almost always connected in series is purely because it's easier and looks better.

It has no negative affect on temps, when you connect them in parallel the flow divides itself between the rads then recombines after, resulting in the coolant spending more time in the rads but without negatively affecting the flow rate of the loop.

I used to run a pair of pumpless Zalman Resonators in parallel and the performance was insane.

Man of Honour
Do you know if anyone has done a review comparing rads in series and parallel? I think my setup in particular may benefit from using them in parallel going on what you are saying. All I would need to change to this method would be a couple of Y adaptors.

Soldato
Yes, and this is actually the best way to connect rads, the reason they are almost always connected in series is purely because it's easier and looks better.

It has no negative affect on temps, when you connect them in parallel the flow divides itself between the rads then recombines after, resulting in the coolant spending more time in the rads but without negatively affecting the flow rate of the loop.

I used to run a pair of pumpless Zalman Resonators in parallel and the performance was insane.

i thought fluid dynamic worked different from that, as in the same way water temp is unilateral through out the system.

a water molecule can float past a distance of 1 meter at 1x speed and a molecule can go past at the same meter at 10x speed , the molecules will spend the same amount of time in that given distance

Soldato
i thought fluid dynamic worked different from that, as in the same way water temp is unilateral through out the system.

a water molecule can float past a distance of 1 meter at 1x speed and a molecule can go past at the same meter at 10x speed , the molecules will spend the same amount of time in that given distance

TBH you could be right, it's just one of those things that everyone knew in the old days of watercooling so could well be wrong, though it worked well and seemed too in others systems. Fell out of favour though is it required more tubing, Y/T pieces, etc.

Sem

Sem

Soldato
i did have moments when i regretting going full water but that was partly due to have 2 crap cases despite being marketed for watercooling

but ever since i changed to a caselabs case watercooling has been such a breeze and i dont regret it one bit

didnt go hardline stuck with soft tubing so upgrading and maintenance is no problem

i recently ripped my SLI 980 Tis for a 1080 Ti and swapping out the gpus took 35-45 mins

having a good case thats easy to work in with good rad support is the key imo

Man of Honour
Mine are external mounted in a box on a windowsill. I think I will give it a try when I finally build my pc into my desk. All I need to add is a pair of Y splitters which I have ordered along with the last parts for my build. You wouldn't be able to see any extra tubing as it would all be inside the box out of sight. It would certainly make bleeding much easier too.

Back
Top Bottom