anyone get a phone contract to sell the phone?

Caporegime
Phone/Deal?

I got my dad an S3 mini (good enough for him) for £10~ possibly less, more than enough texts, mins and unl data on a 48month contract. Didn't think that was a bad deal at all. Considering how much the cheapest sim only deal is with unl data would be.

Associate
Don't see the point in this myself really, I pay £35 a month (HTC One X, brand new at the time) and get 2000mins, unl texts, unl internet. I don't need to worry about selling either and is only £3 extra a month.

Maybe I was just lucky to get it for £35 a month...

Yes same here.

T-mobile, new Samsung galaxy s3.
Unl web, unl texts, unl to other t-mobile numbers and 2000 cross minutes.
£35 a month on a 24 month contract, just over 12 months in.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;24607427 said:
I am on a SIM only deal.

I pay £12 a month for unlimited data with tethering, unlimited texts and 150 minutes (I could have paid £15 for 400 minutes but chose not to).

I then purchased my HTC One outright for £489.

I'm on a similar, if not the same plan - mines a 1 month rolling contract. I purchased my Nexus 4 for the princely sum of £239. I can change the phone at any time, as I will be doing once the iPhone 5s (or whatever is called) comes out.

Associate
Free Phone
£30 a month contract
24 month contract

= £720 with unlimited internet, texts and calls.

£600 phone
??? calls, internet and text.

If you buy the phone outright you need to spend less than £120 over two years topping it up or on a contract to save any money. That only gives you £5 a month..

Please show me a £30 contract that offers a phone any better than something 2 years old with unlimited everything.

I've been in contracts for about 10 years+ always renewing. slowly and slowly they kept creeping up, and 18 months because the norm.. the phone wouldnt outlive the contract and id end up having to buy a cheap one or pay to get in repaired. Currently still have my iphone 4 which ive had for several years. been on a payg contract for the last half a year. its nice paying £20 a month for full everything, even tethering knowing i wont spend more, than having a £45 a month contract, going over and spending about £100 a month on a phone bill because i dont have enough mins/texts/data, which used to be the norm for me 6/12 times a year.

My phone does me for what i need. Can browse the net, phone, text and connect to my pc wirelessly. if anything the only frustration I have is that it is unable to block calls which annoys me daily when i get 0845 numbers calling, but that isnt worth going back to paying a further £25 a month and being stuck in a 2 year deal.

Caporegime
[TW]Fox;24608545 said:
So no tethering - I looked into that before I bought.

Well no you can tether, pretty sure if they wanted to turn it off they would've done so already if three can work it out I'm sure they can also.

Tethering works great too and if they do change that, then I'll consider changing networks, though I doubt this very much. Why would the bother blocking it now? It's never been locked down since I've had it, and T-Mobile have a unlimited plan unlike most well certainly at the time I got this contract.

Soldato
A few weeks ago a free contract resellers were offer 53" Smasung Plasma TV's for free with any contract over £35 with a flagship handset - with the handset being free.

But even with that I don't see it being a viable option.

Associate
[TW]Fox;24608670 said:
It 'works' but it's against the T&C's and at any point they'll work out how to turn it off. Meanwhile, you are still stuck in a contract, not a risk I wanted to take.

They did sneak it out last year(to new and updating contracts apart from the full monty) so you couldnt, but now you get it in as standard i beleive. its unlimited, but fair use applies, and the phone data its unlimited with no fair use.

Permabanned
Phones are good enough now that you don't need to spend a lot of money on them... or at least not regularly. My iPhone4 has seen me good for almost 3 years. Currently pay £10 payg.

Errrggh. PAYG. How common. Next you will be telling me your wear 'trainers' and have barbecues..

Caporegime
[TW]Fox;24607427 said:
I am on a SIM only deal.

I pay £12 a month for unlimited data with tethering, unlimited texts and 150 minutes (I could have paid £15 for 400 minutes but chose not to).

I then purchased my HTC One outright for £489.

Effectively '£32 a month'. Nobody offered a 'Free' HTC One with what I have for under £32 a month at the time.

This worked out cheaper than any comparable deal I could find. This is probably how I'm going to buy phones in the future, too. It's just less hassle, cheaper and more flexible.

You can get most high end phones for £15-22 per month effective on redemption if you look on billmonitor.com with no upfront cost, your cashflow is better and you gain interest on that money.

Last edited:
Soldato
You can get most high end phones for £15-22 per month effective on redemption if you look on billmonitor.com with no upfront cost, your cashflow is better and you gain interest on that money.

Checked that site. Offered me a HTC Desrie C at £10 a month/24 months. Once I'd stopped laughing and picked myself of the floor, I tried narrowing the phone choices.

iPhone 5 or Android equivalent was £99 upfront for the handset and at least £32 a month.

I'll stick to buying the phone outright. My SIM only deal is much, much better (for me, others may find more value from contracts, especially people without the cash to buy the phone outright.)

Man of Honour
Anyone taking on a new contract and selling the handset is basically taking out a loan from the phone company

Not a very sound move from a financial point of view... why add to your debt (unless of course you are really that skint)

I suspect there are better ways to get cash than to do this.

edit: if you dont want a new phone, move to a cheaper sim only rolling monthly deal and reduce you outgoings while having option to leave should your circumstances change

Soldato
Please show me a £30 contract that offers a phone any better than something 2 years old with unlimited everything.

This is the closest I can get, brand new top end phone, 2000 minutes, 5000 texts and unlimited data for £29.75 a month.

http://www.affordablemobiles.co.uk/...he_one_plan_(new)/sony/xperia_z/55904784.html

I've been in contracts for about 10 years+ always renewing. slowly and slowly they kept creeping up, and 18 months because the norm.. the phone wouldnt outlive the contract and id end up having to buy a cheap one or pay to get in repaired.
Currently still have my iphone 4 which ive had for several years.

Have you had that repaired at all?

having a £45 a month contract, going over and spending about £100 a month on a phone bill because i dont have enough mins/texts/data, which used to be the norm for me 6/12 times a year.

How did you manage that? :eek:

Phone/Deal?

Xperia SP, 300mins, unlimited texts and 250mb data (plenty for him). If I wanted 1Gb of data it was £15.50 a month.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom