• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone getting Rocket lake!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
For a gamer Intel CPUs are as fast as AMD and cheaper at every price point, 10400F £45 cheaper vs 3600 / 10600kf £80 cheaper vs 5600X / 10700kf £80 cheaper vs 5800X / 10850k £140 cheaper vs 5900X.

Permabanned
For a gamer Intel CPUs are as fast as AMD and cheaper at every price point, 10400F £45 cheaper vs 3600 / 10600kf £80 cheaper vs 5600X / 10700kf £80 cheaper vs 5800X / 10850k £140 cheaper vs 5900X.

No..

"From a performance perspective, the best points of comparison include the R3 3300X, R5 3600, and i5-10600K (especially with an overclock), which leave the i5-1040 flanked heavily and without many reasons to purchase it. The i5-10400 also loses a significant portion of its performance when run with the more realistic clock speeds (and timings, for that matter, that are associated with lower-end memory). The Z490 motherboards can run XMP with higher speeds, but it's the lower-end B-series and H-series motherboards that make sense to couple with the 10400, and those won't support the higher speeds found on Z490. For this reason, we tested both configurations (one for standardized comparison, one for realistic comparison). Watch this review for more information on the performance comparisons!"

Soldato

slower at every price point and more expensive for a gamer - the 5600x is faster than the 10900k - call me when the 10900k is $250

Soldato
lol, that’s not how it works. The reason Intel can’t go smaller is because they’re built around an inferior manufacturing process - these are stop gap processors but the move to 7 will be a massive change for them and come with a lot of issues; something which the likes of AMD, Apple and Qualcomm have already dealt with.

They’ve lost so much market share with their lack of foresight and innovation.

It's exactly how it works. Rocketlake was supposed to be on 10nm. They've spent months back porting it to 14nm. If 10nm was ready for mass production for 8C+ CPU's, with a good yield and good enough performance/power characteristics, it would have been released months ago on 10nm.

Meanwhile, another team has been working on 7nm. Obviously we don't know when it'll be ready, but when it is, Intel will make Ryzen look like a pocket calculator. Much like Sandy bridge did to Bulldozer.

That's a big IF though. I think it's more likely Intel will just buy as much 4nm wafers from TSMC as they can, pricing out AMD and giving them even more supply issues. Intel can then release halo products on 4nm TSMC that are unbeatable, while their work on fixing their manufacturing process.

Associate
It's exactly how it works. Rocketlake was supposed to be on 10nm. They've spent months back porting it to 14nm. If 10nm was ready for mass production for 8C+ CPU's, with a good yield and good enough performance/power characteristics, it would have been released months ago on 10nm.

Meanwhile, another team has been working on 7nm. Obviously we don't know when it'll be ready, but when it is, Intel will make Ryzen look like a pocket calculator. Much like Sandy bridge did to Bulldozer.

That's a big IF though. I think it's more likely Intel will just buy as much 4nm wafers from TSMC as they can, pricing out AMD and giving them even more supply issues. Intel can then release halo products on 4nm TSMC that are unbeatable, while their work on fixing their manufacturing process.

They don't just ship their horrible stacked architecture to 7nm and it works, it's an entirely new process that other companies have been developing on for much longer - Intel will struggle with their first release under the new architecture whereas the other companies will keep moving forward.

By the time they have anything relevant, they'll have lost most of their server market (already happening in waves) and most of their consumer market (already happening in waves). Then we have ARM-based CPUs, which again, they'll be behind on because they're still playing catch-up on existing tech.

Permabanned

Vermeer or Zen 3 is already >30% faster per clock (or has higher IPC) than Skylake: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X and 5950X review - Performance - CineBench 15 (and IPC) (guru3d.com)

猫比优斯 on Twitter: " https://t.co/cAYfGDyKYO" / Twitter
Intel's 7nm Ocean Cove architecture might deliver 80 percent gains to IPC and higher clocks in 2022: enough to catch up with 5nm AMD Ryzen 6000 Raphael? - NotebookCheck.net News

But if Ocean Cove on 7nm is 80% faster than Skylake on the same frequency, it doesn't mean Zen will look like a "pocket calculator".

Zen 4 needs 25% higher IPC and Zen 5 needs 25% higher IPC and there will be performance parity.

Caporegime

We all get you're an Intel die hard and can't see the wood for the trees, but posts like this just come across very immature.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
Yeap! Can't wait for the 11900k to launch, hopefully in March. It will be the fastest gaming CPU out there, it has AVX-512 (something Ryzen 5000 will never have) and should be a killer gaming CPU for years to come. Will also not suffer from any of the weird Ryzen CPU bugs out there, since everything is tested on Intel first and much more thoroughly than AMD.

Hoping stock is as good as previous Intel launches. The 6th, 7th, 8th gen and so on had good availability after a few weeks, without insane price scalping as seen on Ryzen 5000. Intel make their own CPU's, and have 16 Fabs running 24/7, so hopefully we'll be able to get out chips quickly :)

Note to the AMD fans, frothing in anger reading this. I'm aware AVX-512 does nothing in games, but it does plenty in other software written to take advantage of it. A nice feature to have, as I'm sure Intel will pay developers to make more use of it, as it will artificially cripple AMD performance. This is much like Nvidia'a tactics, with Gameworks, RTX, DLSS. Horrible ethically, but the masses love it and buy Nvidia no matter what. Same will happen here!

What will you be using to take advantage of ACX-512?

I'm sure Rocket Lake will be "a killer gaming CPU for years to come", but let's be honest, Ryzen 5000 CPUs will also be killer gaming CPUs for years to come.

Permabanned
What will you be using to take advantage of ACX-512?

I'm sure Rocket Lake will be "a killer gaming CPU for years to come", but let's be honest, Ryzen 5000 CPUs will also be killer gaming CPUs for years to come.

Rocket Lake based APUs will be transition processors, once Alder Lake launches, these will be relegated to the lower-end tiers of the product stack.

Associate
Well I'm sending my mb back. Read about too many ongoing issues with ryzen cpus. I only game. I would rather do that then wait months before getting all the parts to find it won't boot up. A lot of games still prefer single core speed.

As for the couple of silly troll replies well. At least there will be one on release for me then.
What bugs you talking about mate? I chose my own components and it booted up first time and I have no issues with the setup in my signature. If I was to nitpick I would say I don’t like the default fan curve on the motherboard or it may be my cryorig cooler.
I really want to know about those bugs you are talking about.

Associate
Rocket lake is probably capable of more than 250w, Gigabyte added 17 phase 100A power stages to its z590 boards for a reason

250w is the stock PL2 limit which most boards will run at by default, with manual overclocking and going by vrm sizes they'll be pushing 400w
THIS there is a reason for those 100A power phases. That’s why I took the AMD way also, I rather have 5-10 FPS less then buy a proc that’s supposed to have 5ghz but it stays at the same 4.2 because of power constraints.

Associate
WUT? I wanted to buy the 10700k but then I saw the 3700x at £270 on Overclockers and that was it. Compared to £350 10700k which one was cheaper?

Soldato
Entirely depends on the performance. I'll be upgrading from my 10600K either way, but I also have an MSI X570 ACE sitting around at the moment and will just buy AMD if Rocket Lake doesn't offer much.

rn2

rn2

Associate
OP
Haha! I went 4790k > 3600 while I waited for a 5900x. I got one off the MM.
What bugs you talking about mate? I chose my own components and it booted up first time and I have no issues with the setup in my signature. If I was to nitpick I would say I don’t like the default fan curve on the motherboard or it may be my cryorig cooler.
I really want to know about those bugs you are talking about.

I don't have any mates here that I know of. Use a typical search engine for your answer. I'm not saying many people like yourself didn't have issues.

THIS there is a reason for those 100A power phases. That’s why I took the AMD way also, I rather have 5-10 FPS less then buy a proc that’s supposed to have 5ghz but it stays at the same 4.2 because of power constraints.

I doubt it would use anywhere near that much for gaming. If it does I have a very good PSU.

It's that 5.3ghz single core boost I need for some games I play and if i can get it to 5ghz all core that would be all I would hope full.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom