Anyone going to be buying £65 PC games?

Caporegime
Genuinely, the only reason is that by the time they are super cheap it's because the lobbies are empty. For single player games though I couldn't agree more.

Sod paying 65 quid for a game though. No chance.
That's a fair point. I only ever play SP games so it hadn't occurred to me.

Associate
Not a chance, i remember getting the original big box of half life, think it was around £30, expansion pack opposong force think i paid £20 and that was for quality gaming, and expansions had great worthy content, now you can pay nearly double the price for an unfinished product, except the odd occasion when you do get a good release and don't feel cheated !!

Associate
I wouldn't BUT it would be good if you paid for all the games you played on a low rental per hour basis I potentially would. Let's say you pay 10-20 pence per hour for a game and it gave you 600 hours of enjoyment it would be well worth the money spent. I put so much time into the Witcher games if you told me, you'll miss out on this experience if you don't pay £60 I'd certainly go for it. But I paid next to nothing to those games by the time I got round to playing them. And because you don't know if a gaming experience is worth it ahead of time you hold off. I would hate buying a game for £60 and realising it wasn't my bag and only bothering putting an hour into it or even 5 hours or whatever.

Plus I always have a backlog of games so I have no need to buy anything near launch.

It's sad in a way because the developers who give you better experiences don't get rewarded because you hold off until a game hits a better price where as those that don't still make the same money off you

Caporegime
Not a chance, i remember getting the original big box of half life, think it was around £30, expansion pack opposong force think i paid £20 and that was for quality gaming, and expansions had great worthy content, now you can pay nearly double the price for an unfinished product, except the odd occasion when you do get a good release and don't feel cheated !!
I remember buying the original orange box or some such that came with a tshirt :D same price as regular games too if I remember right
one of the quakes came with a tshirt too I think? also you probably had a novel for a manual with most games.

seems they cut costs everywhere and passed no savings on to the customer.

no printing cds, no printing boxes, no printing 100 page manuals, no cool goodies anymore.

they sure saved a fortune when we went digital and then increased prices as the monopolies unfolded.

no one even needs to finish a game anymore, just release it in alpha/beta state and say it's finished then leave a skeleton crew to patch it up a bit ala cyberpunkt.

it's been 1 year and that game had 3 patches?

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
No chance. £30-35 is what I am comfortable paying on release if it is a game I fancy and want to support the devs. Otherwise will grab it a sale for half that or less. End of the day the issue is a lack of time, not lack of games. There is usually a backlog and even if not I always enjoy replaying old classics.

People need to remember, these games have zero resale value. So wanting so much money for digital games is silly. Would pay it for a console game I can play and sell on at a five or tenner loss. But for a digital one tied to my account?

That’s why I usually wait and grab games around five to ten quid, as not bothered that can’t sell it then.

Soldato
yea means you dodged a bullet if the lobbies are empty

Quite possibly, but I mean if you always wait for a game to go sub £10, chances are your multiplayer experience won't be great. No reason you can't wait a week or two to see how early impressions are panning out and make your call then though! Day 1 purchases only make sense if you wanna stay ahead of the early adopters levelling gear etc so you don't enter a lobby full of sweats with full level gear and knowledge of all the maps/glitches/exploits etc while you try to get to grips.

Caporegime
Isn't that illegal though? You can get things for free if you steal.
is it illegal to tell someone they can buy your product but they can't sell it on second hand? whys it not illegal to try and create a monopoly on your own product?

what if the car manufactures suddenly implement a system where your not allowed to resell a car, just so they can sell more at full price.
would you think its just?

as more computers systems enter a car, and your forced to start registering the with car companies so they can track you like windows etc do then I wonder where it leads

Associate
Whenever I see this thread I remember the early 90s SNES era where Streetfighter 2 was £65 and the cheapest game you could get on the Snes was £40. That was back in the very early 90s and meant I never had many games. A very horrible era, and I think I would have been happier with a hand me down 286 PC from my dad over that. It makes me wish Nintendo went bust before Sega

Soldato
Whenever I see this thread I remember the early 90s SNES era where Streetfighter 2 was £65 and the cheapest game you could get on the Snes was £40. That was back in the very early 90s and meant I never had many games. A very horrible era, and I think I would have been happier with a hand me down 286 PC from my dad over that. It makes me wish Nintendo went bust before Sega

Man I remember those Street Fighter prices, it was insane after the popularity it gained from the arcade machines.

Even as a kid at the time the price still sticks out to me today.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Man I remember those Street Fighter prices, it was insane after the popularity it gained from the arcade machines.

Even as a kid at the time the price still sticks out to me today.
I remember that also. I wanted Street Fighter 2 Turbo, but had to settle for Street Fighter 2 on the SNES as it was like £40 instead of £70 or something the Turbo was.

But back then games did not sell as well as they do now as I understand it. Also cartridges cost more too. Though obviously in this instance CAPCOM just wanted to milk it.

These days we have a lot more choice. I would only ever pay silly money for certain games if say the only way they would see the day of light was through a kickstarter or something.

Soldato
I remember that also. I wanted Street Fighter 2 Turbo, but had to settle for Street Fighter 2 on the SNES as it was like £40 instead of £70 or something the Turbo was.

But back then games did not sell as well as they do now as I understand it. Also cartridges cost more too. Though obviously in this instance CAPCOM just wanted to milk it.

These days we have a lot more choice. I would only ever pay silly money for certain games if say the only way they would see the day of light was through a kickstarter or something.

Yeah there’s a documentary I saw a year or two about all the hype around that game. Every kid wanted Street Fighter for Christmas.

Caporegime
they milked one of the resident evil games as well on ps1 or dreamcast

I think it was like 50-60quid

Soldato
I remember the first SNES game I bought which was Sim City, I went into Dixon's and was getting ready to hand over my £40 when the shop assistant told me it was £5 cheaper then the ticket price. Result!

Soldato
Can't remember the last time paying full price on a PC game, the cd key sites usually help out for the really ridiculous priced games on release

Soldato
Only time I ever paid that much for a game was The sims 4 deluxe pre order as I am quite the fan of the series...(yes fully aware of the fact EA were milking me very well)
Still waiting for Rimword to become affordable but its never on a good sale!

Back
Top Bottom