Anyone gone contracting to perm?

Man of Honour
Anyone here gone contracting to perm? Regret it? Miss the extra money?

I've applied for a job which is a 10 minute walk from home or 3 minute cycle ride. I need to sit down and work out the money exactly but I'd imagine I'll be around £1000-1500 per month down, which is manageable. I could sell the BMW, pay off the loan I got for it and I won't be spending £70 a week on diesel or 3 hours a day in a car commuting. I'd also get private medical, bonuses and a pension etc.

I'd be able to fold my Ltd company, no more tax returns etc or the admin of running a company (which isn't much but every little counts).

Currently in a contract till the end of this year but the project will most likely extend well into next year, although I don't see me staying here too long due to the 155 mile round trip!

Soldato
Yes and No.

Needed more stability and got that. While I'm probably financially more stable, promotions opportunities have stalled as things don't change much where I am and you end up working on the same thing for a long time. I miss the buzz of contracting, and faster turnarounds.

But I don't miss the long hours and long commutes. My commute is easy now, and its a more human existence in general. Always felt like a number on a balance sheet when I was contracting.

Soldato
I moved from 10 years of contracting to a perm job. I enjoyed the contracting as I never stayed anywhere for more than 6 months so always new people and places to see. But it meant never progressing and always starting from the "bottom" when I moved to a new client having to prove myself again. A permanent opportunity came up 10 mins walk from home.

The family had been asking me to go permanent for a while as they didn't like the not knowing where I would be working in weeks to come as it usually meant changes to school drop offs and family time if it was a long commute.

I lost about £1500-2000 / month but soon forgot about the money. The hassle of not looking for the next contract, preparing for interviews and finding money for tax bills was worth it. Easier to make plans for the future with the family and working local means pub after work and a short walk home whenever there's an excuse.

Soldato
... things don't change much where I am and you end up working on the same thing for a long time.

This is true but that was mostly down to a bad team leader and manager. Manager left last summer, I left in Dec after 18 months, still local but a 10 min drive and 25% more money. If it wasn't for the last permanent job I wouldn't be where I am currently. However things may be about to change as the last place are about to make an offer to bring me back, the team leader left after I did and I've been offered his job. Just need to see if the money is right.

Soldato
Don't miss it, it was good for a while, cleared off debts and got a decent chunk of money put away while I was contracting.

Now perm, work 5 minute walk from home. Don't miss the extra income tbh, it's a nice working environment and although it was never a big issue, not being one of 'them' and actually part of the company is pleasant.

Man of Honour
OP
Sounds tempting. I could stay in the current contract till the end of the year at least and pay off debt, maybe even stay till the end of the project which is around 18 months away and horde money away.

Man of Honour
Yes i did this a number of years ago now. The IR were coming in tight on contractors and I didn't like being dedicated to by IR35.. In the long term I've been a lot better off. Bonuses, Pension, training etc.. but the biggest thing it has free'd up so much of my time with a semi-stabilised an income.

I'm in a position now I've been here for 17 years and facing a handsome redundancy package i just wouldn't have got under self employment.

Soldato
Yes been both ways and its swings ad roundabouts - I'd say for the right Perm position I'd do it again but at the end of the day I treat perm jobs as just longer contracts anyway - if they become a bit of a dead end I just move on again.

Man of Honour
OP
This has come up for consideration again. I took a new contract with a small pay cut which is 15 minutes from home. The contract ends in December and it's been mentioned in passing that they would consider me for perm. They've been trying to recruit a new engineer for a few months but they've been struggling. I'll try and extend for 6 months but if not then I may go permanent.

The idea of not having to look for work or pay a sizable sum to commute is highly appealing plus I like the job and staff.

Man of Honour
You have to think of other factors too.. like your pension and other benefits.

I'd go back contracting if I had to but the thought of all the paperwork, admin, tax on account etc.. not sure if i could be bothered.

Soldato
There’s plenty of good well paying perm and contract work in easy reach of where we are - Birmingham/Bristol/Swindon - and that ignores the great options in Cheltenham and literally on your doorstep at Brockworth business park.

Permabanned
Sort of, I was a self employed developer for about 5 or 6 years while the kids grew up. Working on small projects for small businesses. Once the kids got a bit older I found a job 2 miles from home and now full time again. :)

Back
Top Bottom