Anyone here a 'juicer' (obliterating fruit/veg into a drink)?

Soldato
Hi guys

Unfortunaltey I'm quite a fussy eater and consequently can't eat lots of raw fruit and veg, I don't know what it is but the texture of makes me feel very sick which isn't good for my wellbeing...five a day is a distant hope much of the time.

I was watching 'Fat sick and nearly dead' t'other day and it seemed to be a really good way of getting my quota of fruit and veg.

I'm trying to find information about the juicing machines, recipies and potential health benefits but unfortunately Google is just bringing up affiliate site after affiliate site so I don't feel I'm reading informed or unbiased information.

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge with juicers?
If so what do you think of them? How are the recipies? Do they work well?

Thanks. :)

Ah ha!

That's an unbelievably unhelpful post (what did I expect from GD) BUT...I've seen your sig before and found it rather inspiring and promptly forgot the quote.

So thanks for the reply. :D

I've moved it as it seems more appropriate to La Cuisine.

If you really don't like the texture of raw fruit and vegetables (all of them? they can be very different indeed) then I've no doubts that taking them as juice is better than nothing. Does your dislike extend to cooked fruit and vegetables also? As there are plenty of simple, quick and tasty recipes involving vegetables if your aim is simply to increase your intake.

Ah brilliant, thanks for moving it, sorry I should have thought (never come in here!).

To answer your question...mostly unfortunately, it's very embarrassing and restrictive..

Potatoes peas and carrots I'm fine with but anything else I'm really not a fan of. I am OK with most veg in soups and casseroles so I'm not completely starved of nutrients, but I am aware that some of the goodness is lost even with steaming so I do want to get the most I can from them.

Unfortunatey I don't think recipies would work for me, if the fruit/veg has been really heated so it's very soft and loses it's texture then I'm OK with it but I just can't eat it otherwise.

It's very strange, some of the stuff the missus produces with fresh strawberries etc., gets my mouth watering but I just couldn't stand the crunch of it.

Enough of my mad mind though...on to the juicing!

Ah yes, you bring up a good point.

One thing I have seen (and that film talked about) was juice fasts, I'm not interested in doing that or anything gimmicky.

I'm not going to replace what I'm eating now...this is in addition to my normal diet (well I'll be cutting down on the goodies etc, due to the sugar in the fruit), as it has to be a lifestyle change, so I will be getting fibre etc., from other sources as I do day to day.

I'm a regular juicer after my landlady who also lives by juices convinced me. I got myself a Magimix Le Duo XL which is fantastic. No need to even peel the most fruit and veg. My juice of choice is cucumber, celery (I hate eating celery) and broccoli with a dash of lemon juice and I try to have it at least 5 times a week; it is an acquired taste. I now start feeling wrong if I don't have one of my green juices for a few days. It does remove the fibre, but I like to think I still get the nutrients concentrated in a glass, which is quite filling actually.

I've experimented with apples (had plenty in the garden) with carrots and ginger. Also apples with a citrus fruit. I basically experiment with what I have in the fridge. The juicer came with recipes for juices, smoothies, cocktails, etc but I've not tried any.

Juicing is great, and I have done it before, though as mentioned you will be lacking the fibre that you would normally obtain from fruits and live foods (veg). So, to be sure to correct this make sure you eat several servings of grains and starches per day.

Thanks for the replies guys.

So how does it taste? I'm sure I'll be fine with the fruit one, but what are the veg ones like? Is it a case of holding your nose and taking big glugs for the greater good or are they tasty?

I note DB SamX says they are an acquired taste!

I've got a juicer and I loved it at first, but it's such a pain in the rear to clean each time I rarely if ever use it any more. Apple juice is amazing from it, but Copella isn't far off.

Smoothies are much quicker and easier to make and a LOT less washing up afterwards. Stick blender and a jug is what I use. Make it with a base of banana, yoghurt, soft fruit or fruit juice. Bulk it up with oats, honey, peanut butter etc. YUM :D

Nah, certainly the veg ones I've had have taken some getting used to but by no means were they a case of holding your nose etc. They're jsut different, a cold thin soup if you want.

Jonny69 is right, Copella is the closest thing to homemade apple juice. And also about cleaning straight after otherwise it can stain, especially after juicing carrots and beetroot!!! I've also noticed that the juice I've tried at least do not keep well overnight in the fridge sadly, so I just make them fresh.

I got a Vitamix last Christmas. It's pricy, but brilliant. In seconds it will pulverise entire fruits into liquid - literally no bits. The blades are slightly blunted so it smashes the heck out of them. You can put raw vegetables in with some stock and because it spins so fast the friction will turn it into hot steaming soup in five minutes. Sadly I mainly use it to make blended margaritas but it does make excellent smoothies too. Washing it is easy as well - half fill it with cold water, add a drop of washing-up liquid and blend for ten seconds. Clean. You can even put roasted peanuts in it and in less than a minute have delicious peanut butter. Highly recommended!

Just how rank is the juice made from whole unpeeled oranges? Other sites tell me it is pretty bad but just how bad? Totally undrinkable?

Common sense dictates that there are some things you just shouldn't leave unpeeled. Citrus fruits being one, bananas another. I happily pop an entire kiwi or apple in but wouldn't dream of leaving an orange peel on. Pith, pips and stalks are all fine though.

Just how rank is the juice made from whole unpeeled oranges? Other sites tell me it is pretty bad but just how bad? Totally undrinkable?

As bad as eating an orange whole.

Apart from that you also include spray residues on the peel when you bung it all in.

I've heard that lemons and limes are ok to leave the skin on but oranges are a no. I was looking for an easy way to use up oranges I have left over being the lazy sod that I am.

Back
Top Bottom