Soldato
to my utter shame I read this post earlier and had to re-read it about half a dozen times as for some reason my head had locked in Working instead of Woking. I kept reading the thread as you were working and wanted someone to go drinking with.....was about to post asking what the **** kind of job you did that required a drinking partner....thankfully my brain engaged properly before posting.....that said, no idea why I posted this reply. i'm neither near Woking nor am I drinker so no use for someone who would need a drinking partner at work!

good luck though!

Commissario
OP
good luck though!

unlucky, the town center is a bit of a dump at the moment, you will be bored!

Lots of building work near your hotel, not sure what time they kick off with the work
I think all the building work at the hotel itself is finished now. Last week I was in their new annex and they told me I was the first person to use that room. It smelt new and was absolutely spotlessly clean.

I spent a couple of weeks in Woking two years ago at the Travelodge by the station and this Premier Inn is a lot better. I can see the difference in the town centre with all the building going on there but the shops themselves seem very similar to how I remember them.

It's a nice walk along the canal into town from here.

Associate
ah you must be in the premier inn with the beefeater? if so thats a good call due to the building work in the town center. There is a lot more choice for restaurants these days so no issues getting a nice meal, however the pub choice is still pretty poor.

Commissario
OP
ah you must be in the premier inn with the beefeater? if so thats a good call due to the building work in the town center. There is a lot more choice for restaurants these days so no issues getting a nice meal, however the pub choice is still pretty poor.
I took a walk in this evening but nothing really jumped out at me. I quite fancy a decent burger one evening if you have any recommendations?

Could go bowling in the big apple ;) :p
Aww, that's something I used to do regularly and was good at but unfortunately the last time I bowled, I put my knee out and I'm not prepared for that to happen again. I think my bowling days are over.

I'm in Woking. If you fancy lunch one day I'd be up for it. I'm not really around in the evenings I'm afraid.
Lovely idea, thanks but although I'm staying in Woking, I'm working in Send/Ripley so I leave the room at around 06:00 and get back around 17:00.

QRP stuff from the hotel room?
I don't tend to take radios away with me and apart from the U3s I've got, nothing else does QRP. Life's too short! I don't think bringing a PSU, Kenwood 590 and an aerial is practical :)

Soldato
I took a walk in this evening but nothing really jumped out at me. I quite fancy a decent burger one evening if you have any recommendations?

Lovely idea, thanks but although I'm staying in Woking, I'm working in Send/Ripley so I leave the room at around 06:00 and get back around 17:00.

The best restaurant in a Woking is either Thali Thali (Indian) or Soya (Japanese). There is the burger box place a few doors up from macdonalds, but it’s overpriced. Burgers are nice though.

I would have loved to meet up! Any other week man!!

Soldato
I love Thali Thali (the chef's special chicken is brilliant) HOWEVER I've stopped going after I found out it was the only restaurant in Woking with a 0 rating for food hygiene and then followed it up by saying with all the building work going on they wouldn't be able to 100% sort the ongoing mouse issues they had (everyone else on the same road has managed to get 5* ratings)!

They actually cold called me a few Saturday's ago at about 6pm offering me 50% to come in and it always looks dead as I walk past now which is a real shame as the food was really tasty but they obviously have let standards slip.

Edit: Live and work in Woking.

Soldato
Aww, that's something I used to do regularly and was good at but unfortunately the last time I bowled, I put my knee out and I'm not prepared for that to happen again. I think my bowling days are over.

Not a problem - I can always pop in for a bite to eat/few drinks as I'm 10 mins away

Let me know matey - fairly easy week :)

Soldato
I love Thali Thali (the chef's special chicken is brilliant) HOWEVER I've stopped going after I found out it was the only restaurant in Woking with a 0 rating for food hygiene and then followed it up by saying with all the building work going on they wouldn't be able to 100% sort the ongoing mouse issues they had (everyone else on the same road has managed to get 5* ratings)!

They actually cold called me a few Saturday's ago at about 6pm offering me 50% to come in and it always looks dead as I walk past now which is a real shame as the food was really tasty but they obviously have let standards slip.

Edit: Live and work in Woking.

Oh bloody hell. That really changes things! They also called me the other day...bit late calling someone at 6PM!

To be fair their curries have been great, so maybe it's the mice that added something special.

Back
Top Bottom