• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone just given up on looking for a new GPU?

Associate
Given the stories here of miners making 50 mile round trips to buy 2nd-hand Vega 56s from people (via FB marketplace, or whatever), I think it's a fair bet that this is 99% miners. At these prices anyhow. Who else is buying 5700XTs at £750...
The guy who bought my Vega 64 had come from central London out to Surrey on public transport to add the card to his mining farm. A 4 hour round trip. Says he had bought really expensive 5700 xt's from overclockers as well !! Also paid cash from Facebook market place . He did not even look in the box which i find strange. There could have been a brick in there!!

Soldato
I ordered a 3060Ti from a stock alert discord, the price originally sort of made sense showing £470 with the import fees included or whatever. The total was showing less though even with that after I ordered, now it's showing 320 then 71 import fees taking it to 392. Anyone understand that?

ljt

ljt

Soldato
I'm currently working out how much I'm likely to get 2nd hand for my current desktop and laptop, and putting it all toward a new laptop that will cover what few PC games I'm likely to play. This way I get portability of playing where I want.

Sick to death of the current state of desktop PC's as a hobby, so i'm thinking just screw it, move to laptop only as I now do majority of my gaming on consoles, and just upgrade to a new laptop every 3 or 4 years, as laptop prices seem to stick around MSRP's. That way I don't have to deal with scalpers, inflated retailer prices, miners jacking up MSRP's and I can finally be free of a hobby I no longer enjoy.

Associate
I ordered a 3060Ti from a stock alert discord, the price originally sort of made sense showing £470 with the import fees included or whatever. The total was showing less though even with that after I ordered, now it's showing 320 then 71 import fees taking it to 392. Anyone understand that?

I saw a few of those in the early hours of this morning, I found the pricing very strange as well. Shipping was from the US for the ones I looked at, so wonder if the original price as in dollars (even though it had the £ sign). I was tempted but decided not to go through with it as it was shipping from the US.
I'm glad I did as I managed to grab 3070FE this afternoon.

Caporegime
The guy who bought my Vega 64 had come from central London out to Surrey on public transport to add the card to his mining farm. A 4 hour round trip. Says he had bought really expensive 5700 xt's from overclockers as well !! Also paid cash from Facebook market place . He did not even look in the box which i find strange. There could have been a brick in there!!
And paying current prices for GPUs only makes sense if the crypto price holds or rises.

If - for any reason - the price of crypto takes a tumble (oh please, please!) then they paid insane prices on GPUs they couldn't hope to recoup.

They need current prices to hold for several months or they make a loss, surely.

I mean, they're paying £360 for a 580 and £750 for a 5700XT, those costs aren't going to be recouped overnight.

Soldato
i just don't get peoples fascination with money, it doesn't make you any happier (how many millionaire suicides are there now?) guess people like shortcuts more than ever now.

Mining is a lazy way of making money. They just setup a rig and let it run 24/7.

Soldato
I saw a few of those in the early hours of this morning, I found the pricing very strange as well. Shipping was from the US for the ones I looked at, so wonder if the original price as in dollars (even though it had the £ sign). I was tempted but decided not to go through with it as it was shipping from the US.
Yeah the price being $ instead of £ is the only thing i can think of but they didn't show the right currency, still doesn't really convert to the same price though. Think I'll just leave it as is anyway

order.png

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah the price being $ instead of £ is the only thing i can think of but they didn't show the right currency, still doesn't really convert to the same price though. Think I'll just leave it as is anyway

order.png

Yeah, it's very strange. I just got an alert as below

EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 Ultra Gaming: £618.73. Clicked it and went to online retailer website, added to my basket at £618.73.
Went to checkout (then cancelled) and it was
Items: £422.57
Postage + packing £16.55
Import fees depsit £92.69
Total £513.181
Promotion -£16.55

Order Total £515.26

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah, it's very strange. I just got an alert as below

EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 Ultra Gaming: £618.73. Clicked it and went to online retailer website, added to my basket at £618.73.
Went to checkout (then cancelled) and it was
Items: £422.57
Postage + packing £16.55
Import fees depsit £92.69
Total £513.181
Promotion -£16.55

Order Total £515.26

I've managed to purchase these particular alerts a few times. The transaction goes through, money taken, but then a few minutes later, amazon emails to cancel the order and refund shows up on card statement. No explanation given such as no stock or error etc. So I wouldn't hold your breath! I'm starting to think it's just a scam to get affiliate revenue off any other purchases.

Associate
I've managed to purchase these particular alerts a few times. The transaction goes through, money taken, but then a few minutes later, amazon emails to cancel the order and refund shows up on card statement. No explanation given such as no stock or error etc. So I wouldn't hold your breath! I'm starting to think it's just a scam to get affiliate revenue off any other purchases.

Thanks for the heads up.

Thankfully I nabbed a 3070FE yesterday. Wanted a 3080, but am more than happy at getting the 3070.

Soldato
In spring 2017 I purchased my current card for ~£230 I think (An ASUS Strix RX480 for those who can't see signatures). I find it insane that very nearly 4 years later I am unable to buy a card for a similar price that can double performance. It seems that cards have simply been moving to new price points without any associated increase in performance for what was considered to be the mid range only a few years ago.

Disappointing.

Associate

I have seen quite a few of these for 3080 cards. Looks like a scam to me.

Associate
it's a time consuming process, but you gotta shop around at different places. I sold my 5700xt and added 50 quid bought a GB 3070 aorus and sold it again plus another 6800 bought for 690 sold for high 700 and with the proceeds bought a 6800xt off ocuk for 899. it's all about flipping these days.

Associate
In spring 2017 I purchased my current card for ~£230 I think (An ASUS Strix RX480 for those who can't see signatures). I find it insane that very nearly 4 years later I am unable to buy a card for a similar price that can double performance. It seems that cards have simply been moving to new price points without any associated increase in performance for what was considered to be the mid range only a few years ago.

Disappointing.

I checked my old accounts my old NVIDIA card from 2004, a fast card for the time about 3060 Ti cost £107.00 brand new!
FX 5900 XT

Permabanned
1) Inflation makes that not so bad.

2) WTF did you buy a Nvidia FX series for (ok 5900 slightly improved 5800 abortion).

I skipped it and went 4600Ti to 6800Ultra. ;)

Soldato
Mining is a lazy way of making money. They just setup a rig and let it run 24/7.
work smarter not harder and all that. i do it as a hobby and never buy hardware at prices i couldnt sell on for what i paid. nor do i sell on for profit. bought a 580 8gb for 110 posted from here at xmas, if i re sold now it would be for the same price, but im after a couple more gpus not interested in selling. cheap hobby vs what other spend..

Caporegime
1) Inflation makes that not so bad.

2) WTF did you buy a Nvidia FX series for (ok 5900 slightly improved 5800 abortion).

I skipped it and went 4600Ti to 6800Ultra. ;)

What noob buys a 6800 ultra when you could buy a 6800LE and unlock the extra pipes and shaders?

I managed to unlock all the pipes and was only 1 shader off the ultra which is probably why it was downgraded to an LE. So I overclocked it and got stock ultra performance for half the price.

Back
Top Bottom