• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone just given up on looking for a new GPU?

Soldato
May the trend continue!

By which we mean "May the trend of nobody buying from scalpers and leaving them with tens of thousands in unsold products, continue"? :D

Seriously. I really hope the only folks buying from scalpers are those who's GPU has straight up broken and left their PC unusable. If you're upgrading a 'good enough' card for a few more fps... well, it's not my business what you do with your money, spend it where you like, but are you happy knowing that 50% of the price is going to an ebay scumbag who's only skill is being faster on the buy button?

Maybe demand is shifting a bit now the weather has FINALLY got better in the UK?

I guess sunny weather, plus an increasingly-vaccinated population does mean people are more likely to want to spend less time in the house :)

Associate
OcUK Systems
OcUK Staff
GPU Sales up 39% in 2020 according to Jon Peddie Research:
https://www.techpowerup.com/283110/gpu-sales-increased-39-percent-in-2020

Wonder how well/accurately Jon Peddie Research tracks bulk purchases of mining GPUs?

CB's story has discrete only figures too:
https://www.computerbase.de/2021-06/extreme-nachfrage-grafikkartenmarkt-waechst-um-39-prozent/
ePZYCTm.png
Looks like AMD's focus on consoles and drive for margins has cost them dearly.
This is you looking at the figures from the wrong point of view. Statistics don't always lead people to the correct conclusions without knowledge of all of the facts.
There's less consumer/scalper demand for AMD than Nvidia, even in the current atmosphere where many people just claim "I just want a GPU!" it's not true. If we have 3070 @ £1000 there's more orders coming in than when we have 6700XT @ £750 even though, on paper, performance is similar.
So why is this the case? maybe because Nvidia are a marketing juggernaut and, outside of the techy circles, Radeon card knowledge is much less prevalent

Associate
For every one person that wants an AMD GPU there is a thousand people that want a console, I doubt its cost them dearly considering how small the market is compared to PS5 and Xbox
Well, margins are far lower. Although both Sony and Microsoft did pay for R&D in advanced possibly paying for lot of RNDA2's development. Plus consoles gives AMD far more influence with developers than their less than 20% of the discrete GPU marketshare would.
However, since there is a shortage of TSMC 7nm wafers and consoles are about the lowest margin AMD product, I'm sure they would love to use more 7nm wafers for Zen3, or even Navi21. That sort of supposes that if Sony and Microsoft didn't have such huge demand that AMD would have bought those wafers for their own use. Since their forecasts have tended to be super cautious that is by no means guaranteed though.

Associate
By which we mean "May the trend of nobody buying from scalpers and leaving them with tens of thousands in unsold products, continue"? :D

Seriously. I really hope the only folks buying from scalpers are those who's GPU has straight up broken and left their PC unusable. If you're upgrading a 'good enough' card for a few more fps... well, it's not my business what you do with your money, spend it where you like, but are you happy knowing that 50% of the price is going to an ebay scumbag who's only skill is being faster on the buy button?

I guess sunny weather, plus an increasingly-vaccinated population does mean people are more likely to want to spend less time in the house :)
I too hope they end up with loads of unsold products and end up making a loss!

Associate
This is you looking at the figures from the wrong point of view. Statistics don't always lead people to the correct conclusions without knowledge of all of the facts.
There's less consumer/scalper demand for AMD than Nvidia, even in the current atmosphere where many people just claim "I just want a GPU!" it's not true. If we have 3070 @ £1000 there's more orders coming in than when we have 6700XT @ £750 even though, on paper, performance is similar.
So why is this the case? maybe because Nvidia are a marketing juggernaut and, outside of the techy circles, Radeon card knowledge is much less prevalent
Sure, but even if not selling as well there isn't really much(any?) unsold stock.
Plus, this gen Nvidia mine better. Just looked it up and while a 3700 does $3.68 (before electricity costs), a 6700XT only does $3.03. Both of which are far too low to risk a card in my opinion, but what do I know?

Associate
If only...
But it seems there are plenty of people still buying them up.

Does sound like PS5/XbsX is getting close to RRP even from scalpers now. Often see them on FBMP for just £50~ above. So that must be a sign the console market is getting nearly back to normal?

Associate
Several reports of 6700xt sitting on shelves in a computer chain in the USA owing to high prices. AMD aren't going to be increasing their discrete GPU market share if AIB partners continue to overprice them.

Soldato
ePZYCTm.png
Looks like AMD's focus on consoles and drive for margins has cost them dearly.

The main reason is likely because the current nvidia lineup mines better.

But on a gamer front it’s more because of RTX and all of the main lineup being pretty much identical rasterisation wise and price wise with nvidia.

The vast majority of people would choose the nvidia gpu just because of the far superior RTX/DLSS performance. Even if it’s something they don’t particularly end up using.

Plus you also see a lot more advertising and press from big youtubers and websites on nvidia cards IMO.

Associate
Well, margins are far lower. Although both Sony and Microsoft did pay for R&D in advanced possibly paying for lot of RNDA2's development. Plus consoles gives AMD far more influence with developers than their less than 20% of the discrete GPU marketshare would.
However, since there is a shortage of TSMC 7nm wafers and consoles are about the lowest margin AMD product, I'm sure they would love to use more 7nm wafers for Zen3, or even Navi21. That sort of supposes that if Sony and Microsoft didn't have such huge demand that AMD would have bought those wafers for their own use. Since their forecasts have tended to be super cautious that is by no means guaranteed though.

Margins might be lower but those console contracts literally kept AMD from going bankrupt 5 years ago. There's no way they are going to give that safety net up voluntarily. Zen, Navi, they wouldn't exist because AMD would have gone under.

Man of Honour
Nvidia has a more compelling feature set (RTX/DLSS/Gsync) but there is definitely more marketing/hype over 3000 series compared to 6000 series in my eyes. Everyone was pumped up for the 3080 and the AMD offerings didn't come along and blow it out of the water, so they had first mover advantage to some extent (stock issues notwithstanding). Remember Nvidia had both the 3080 and 3090 launched before the start of Q4, whereas AMD had nothing from the 6000 range out until the second half of Q4. So it's not that surprising Nvidia stole market share in Q4, they had their new generation of cards (faster than anything AMD had from the previous generation) on sale the whole quarter, so the vast majority of people buying performance cards before November 18th would've been buying Nvidia. The 6900XT didn't even come out until well into December.

Look at Q1 and AMD technically won back market share from NV, having actually got cards to market.

Finally these stats just look a bit selective, they've got 2020Q1, 2020Q4, 2021Q1. So where's 2020Q2 and 2020Q3? For all we know Nvidia's market share may have actually FALLEN between Q3 and Q4, and be on a continuing downward trend.

Associate
I'm not sure how much it matters, but another key thing for me is the G-Sync. Got the monitor, stuck with Team Green

Note that some newer Gsync monitors (using a newer version of the Gsync module) support HDMI spec VRR and thus Freesync will work with them - doesn't help for older Gsync models but something to keep in mind in the future (I only discovered this a couple of days ago as Gsync was putting me off getting a 6900XT).

Soldato
The main reason is likely because the current nvidia lineup mines better.

But on a gamer front it’s more because of RTX and all of the main lineup being pretty much identical rasterisation wise and price wise with nvidia.

The vast majority of people would choose the nvidia gpu just because of the far superior RTX/DLSS performance. Even if it’s something they don’t particularly end up using.

Plus you also see a lot more advertising and press from big youtubers and websites on nvidia cards IMO.

In order of actual output its 3090>3080> 68xx and 6900 range > 3070 (3060Ti) > 3080Ti > 2080Ti>5700XT > 3060> 6700XT . The GDDR6X cards run very hot ram, over 100 degrees when ETH mining, and really need the thermal pads changed.

Associate
I am pretty sure that any scalper who hasnt sold on in less than a fortnight will do the "I changed my mind" reason for a return/refund so I dont think its likely that they will be hit in the pocket. Shame really as I would love it they took a big hit.

Associate
I am pretty sure that any scalper who hasnt sold on in less than a fortnight will do the "I changed my mind" reason for a return/refund so I dont think its likely that they will be hit in the pocket. Shame really as I would love it they took a big hit.
Ah, I obviously don't have the right mindset for this: never considered that scalpers could use Distance Selling Regulations to make the whole thing almost risk free for them.

Permabanned
Patience, people. Frustrating as it is, the moment you pull the trigger and feed a scalper you just delay the correction all the more. I'd love a new GPU, but I won't abandon my core principles to do it. This will get better. The key thing is to remember who acted with integrity and who chose not to. and then to adjust our buying preferences accordingly.

Men! Don't be weak, we need a revolution. Nvidia pushed up the GPU PRICES up years ago which we tolerated but it can go on no longer.

We need to be strong and fight to win back our PC hardware. How do we do that? By spending very wisely, keep your hard earned in the bank. Get yourself a hair cut, do some manscaping around your twig and berries and get out of the house.

This weekend I shaved my gentleman sausage, bought a new 4k Projector and AV Reicver.and went out to get an ice cream.

YOU CAN DO IT MEN!

https://uk.manscaped.com/
I am not affiliated with manscaped.com

Back
Top Bottom