• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone just given up on looking for a new GPU?

Associate
I've got to say I'm more than happy with my playstation 5, I'm playing tlou 2, ratchet and clank & spiderman and they all look and play fantastically! Considering I paid retail price for my ps5 which won't even get you a vega card today or might get you a pascal card I've got to say I'm done with pc gaming for the foreseeable

Associate
Still got 3 low-mid tier GPU's to acquire for kids systems, given up for now, no way i'm paying the asking prices they just aren't valuable enough, can't see 6500 XT or 3050 Ti being any different (£400) in the current market , AIB's will still be on the scalp.

Associate
Still got 3 low-mid tier GPU's to acquire for kids systems, given up for now, no way i'm paying the asking prices they just aren't valuable enough, can't see 6500 XT or 3050 Ti being any different (£400) in the current market , AIB's will still be on the scalp.

Same. I really want to upgrade my 9 year old card but FE drops are few and far between and the last one was a bust, quite apart from the fact it's more than I really want to be spending, and I'm loathe to spend £400+ on a 1660 super/ti or an RX 6600. Just seems like a huge rip off.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Agree, the 6600 was hard enough to swallow being ultra 'meh' but now they are at the prices the 6600XT's were which is ridiculous. The 6500 and 3050 releases will be no better than some old gen cards so wont be an upgrade unless your building new rigs for virgin gamers. I have youngsters myself and get asked sporadically to build gaming rigs for family friends so its good to have access to the cheaper components - which has been quite dire since covid kicked in.

Associate

I was one of the lucky ones from last night's drop, but that was the only way I was ever going to get a 3000 series card. The AIB prices are frightening and have been pretty much from the off with these cards. I maintained that I'd not pay anything other than MSRP, just couldn't bring myself to pay those prices for over a year. And you're right on the value of the lower tier cards, a 6500XT for 400 quid. Ouch.

I work in IT and getting hardware is a nightmare, prices for that have also increased, although not to the crackers levels GPUs have. Plus resale value is also crackers, all in all a very weird and frustrating time for anyone who just wants to play a game on their PC. The components we like have been utilised differently by end users, totally distorting what was once a pretty clear cut GPU market.

Associate
-6% black Friday bargain on a RX 6600 Down to £419.99. Get your orders in quick guys they'll be flying out at only 30% over RRP

*Fires up ancient 7870 in disgust*

Soldato
I've got to say I'm more than happy with my playstation 5, I'm playing tlou 2, ratchet and clank & spiderman and they all look and play fantastically! Considering I paid retail price for my ps5 which won't even get you a vega card today or might get you a pascal card I've got to say I'm done with pc gaming for the foreseeable

Same.

Associate
Short term gains for long time losses.

Absolutely. PC gaming relies on youngster's coming through.

My own boy has a 5700xt, which hardly gets used. All his mates play on Xbox. Nvidia and AMD are pushing kid's straight into the arm's of Microsoft and Sony. I mean £400+ for a 6600, hilarious.

Soldato

Yup, I replaced my gaming PC with a Series X and wont be looking back anytime soon. Said it before in this thread but I like to pop in every now and again when I see the thread popup just to see people desperately clinging on the hope of winning the GPU lottery and paying rip off prices for the pleasure, not in a sinister way but just in a way where I think, why, just why. How can I convince these people to stop! Its not going to get any better any time soon, cash in while you still can on your parts and get a console for gaming or just use your GPU budget to get. You can easily sell it on if its not for you you've got nothing to lose and I bet the majority wonder why they didn't do it sooner.

Soldato
Yup, I replaced my gaming PC with a Series X and wont be looking back anytime soon. Said it before in this thread but I like to pop in every now and again when I see the thread popup just to see people desperately clinging on the hope of winning the GPU lottery and paying rip off prices for the pleasure, not in a sinister way but just in a way where I think, why, just why. How can I convince these people to stop! Its not going to get any better any time soon, cash in while you still can on your parts and get a console for gaming or just use your GPU budget to get. You can easily sell it on if its not for you you've got nothing to lose and I bet the majority wonder why they didn't do it sooner.
I guess it's fine if all you really want to do is play the latest AAA releases and little else. I could never go back to console gaming though. The range of games available compared to a gaming PC is laughable, especially when you stack emulation on top of a native library stretching back decades. I do agree about not paying ridiculous prices for graphics cards though. You don't need a fancy £1000 GPU to enjoy 99.9999% of the great games available via a PC. I decided I wanted to finally play through Max Payne 3 the other day, funnily enough after seeing a Modern Vintage Gamer video about how it's been added to Xbox backwards compatibility, where it runs at 720p and 40fps. Reinstalled the far superior PC version with its higher resolution textures and visual upgrades, max settings, 1440p, 100fps+ and all on a mere GTX 970. It's a blast.

Soldato
I guess it's fine if all you really want to do is play the latest AAA releases and little else. I could never go back to console gaming though. The range of games available compared to a gaming PC is laughable, especially when you stack emulation on top of a native library stretching back decades. I do agree about not paying ridiculous prices for graphics cards though. You don't need a fancy £1000 GPU to enjoy 99.9999% of the great games available via a PC. I decided I wanted to finally play through Max Payne 3 the other day, funnily enough after seeing a Modern Vintage Gamer video about how it's been added to Xbox backwards compatibility, where it runs at 720p and 40fps. Reinstalled the far superior PC version with its higher resolution textures and visual upgrades, max settings, 1440p, 100fps+ and all on a mere GTX 970. It's a blast.

Seems odd it runs like that on console considering its age. Great game though played it twice on my old PC.

I won't be getting into a console Vs pc debate it's pointless but I can say I won't be going back to pc gaming unless cost of components goes back to what it was. The cost/performance of a current gen console is simply unbeatable

I haven't been stuck for games on my Xbox either and I don't tend to play AAA games, certainly not on release anyway

Associate

Unfortunately the lack of keyboard and mouse support absolutely kills console gaming for people like me who have gamed on PC for decades. Just the basic stuff like to turn around and move you have to hold that right analog stick and push the left one just feels terrible inefficient and not ergonomic at all when I can just move my mouse.

You are also locked to 60 fps in game which ideally feel a joy to play at 100 plus like Fora Horizon 5 and FPS shooters like battlefield 2042.

You also lose modding which can be a game changer in games like Cyberpunk where modders have done more to improve the game than the devs themselves. In Far Cry 6, I had to use a mod to disable chromatic aberration which had a nausea inducing rainbow depth of field effect near the screen edges which cannot be deactivated.

Consoles are not a replacement for PC gaming at all as you lose almost all flexibility to play the games how you want them to. Yeah people are migrating to PS5 now because of the insane GPU prices but that’s only a minority. You don’t need a £1000 GPU to play the games. I have a 3080 Ti and although I plan on upgrading to 4080 Ti, you could just as well use this card for 5 years straight and it won’t stop being 2x as powerful as a PS5 and will get you much better experience in gaming at higher GPU settings and fps.

Associate
-6% black Friday bargain on a RX 6600 Down to £419.99. Get your orders in quick guys they'll be flying out at only 30% over RRP

*Fires up ancient 7870 in disgust*
But the thing regarding the current environment is if you pay those scalper prices just once, that premium you paid will still be there when you will sell the card yourself after using it. I spent £1700 on my 3080 Ti and I am sure I can resell it at £1500 at least next year when the 4080 Ti launches. So effectively assuming a worst case scenario and street pricing of £2,500 for 4080 Ti, your current GPU already netted you over 50% of the price.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
Nah look for better deals through the year tbh

guess we need sarcasm tags now :p

and yes i wasn't expecting sod all and said as much months ago, we are screwed until end of next year i bet now for anything resembling sensible prices, and yes 2023 for black friday deals is a serious date. if the next gen of gpus drop end of next year it will be a repeat of the current gen launch with higher prices and sod all stock.

Associate
I picked up a inno3d 3060ti from here for £439
a few months back, at 57 years old, it's my last, also I have quite a big steam and epic library so I'll be content now till I totally give up and hand it down to grandkids, I could never go consol coz of game price also I still like playing some games mouse and keyboard

Associate
I don't want to buy and sell GPUs. I don't want to gamble a month's + wages that I don't have spare for a possible part return at some hypothetical point in the future. I want a decent mid range upgrade for an affordable price for my usual budget (£150-£250) and I want to donate my old card to an older system for my kids to use.

Currently that budgets gets me a negligible upgrade on a 9 year old mid range card and for any kind of reasonable upgrade I'm looking at well over a week's wages which is just out of the question.

But the thing regarding the current environment is if you pay those scalper prices just once, that premium you paid will still be there when you will sell the card yourself after using it. I spent £1700 on my 3080 Ti and I am sure I can resell it at £1500 at least next year when the 4080 Ti launches. So effectively assuming a worst case scenario and street pricing of £2,500 for 4080 Ti, your current GPU already netted you over 50% of the price.

Back
Top Bottom