Anyone non-panic buying?

Soldato
Have you actually tested your theory to see just how far you could get carrying it all ?

I'd imagine instead of carrying about a load of fuel, it would be a lot more convenient to just carry a decent axe, a sharpening stone and some flint & steel + maybe some tinder, axe is actually quite good because it means you have a weapon with which to defend yourself when the armed preppers come to take your stuff by force

Why not just order a delivery online when you get there?

Don
The mad dash to avoid climageddon and the utter lack of planning on how to get there has already made society substantially less resilient than it was 10 years ago. We're just beginning to see some of these strategic masterstrokes pay dividends. There has never been a time in my life when I think slowly stock piling some essentials has been more worthwhile. I'm not talking total society - last man on Earth - breakdown because we're all boned then. If we make it through the next 10 years with out several bouts of short term energy disruption I will be amazed. Having a secondary way to cook and some food that doesn't rely on just in time supply changes might be the difference between a mild inconvenience and genuine panic.

I'm even this last 18 months with lockdown has shown how delicate the balance of the modern world is with respect to availability of food. It won't be Covid next time but it could easily be a short term energy shortage.
Yep, one thing we do not have now is energy security and won't likely achieve it now for years for sure.

Our easy, care free lives could completely go to pot if China decide to actually invade Taiwan for example.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Have you actually tested your theory to see just how far you could get carrying it all ?

Yes, I practice twice a year, once in winter and once in summer.

I'd imagine instead of carrying about a load of fuel, it would be a lot more convenient to just carry a decent axe, a sharpening stone and some flint & steel + maybe some tinder, axe is actually quite good because it means you have a weapon with which to defend yourself when the armed preppers come to take your stuff by force

Well obviously. What you take varies upon the situation. Various load outs include differing cutting tools, from a simple knife, to a flexible saw, to a hand axe up to a felling axe. Survivability depends on flexibility and adaptability, so there is never one perfect solution to multiple scenarios.

Caporegime
Yup.

Some 15kg butane cylinders and some more stuff like below (gas cylinders, meths, hardwood) which is portable in case we need to bug out.

20211008-161935.jpg

20211008-161528.jpg
bug out to where? do you have a nuclear fall out shelter ? whats your bug out vehicle of choice and does it run on butane?

Soldato
I don't need supplies, if I wait long enough all the preppers will realise the main reason they enjoy their hobby is so they can waffle on about it, they'll come down from the mountainside in search of willing ears, then I can eat them and make off with their women.

Caporegime
I don't need supplies, if I wait long enough all the preppers will realise the main reason they enjoy their hobby is so they can waffle on about it, they'll come down from the mountainside in search of willing ears, then I can eat them and make off with their women.
they never seem to have any form of entertainment to ease the boredom and I've never seen stock piling of condoms for some reason.

they aint stock piling baby food and nappies etc either

Soldato
Yes, I practice twice a year, once in winter and once in summer.
Well obviously. What you take varies upon the situation. Various load outs include differing cutting tools, from a simple knife, to a flexible saw, to a hand axe up to a felling axe. Survivability depends on flexibility and adaptability, so there is never one perfect solution to multiple scenarios.

I just think bushcraft & hunting skills are more important in a SHTF situation than being able to stockpile some stuff because that stuff will eventually run out

It's apt of you if you practice those skills as well stockpiling though

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

bug out to where? do you have a nuclear fall out shelter ? whats your bug out vehicle of choice and does it run on butane?

1: I'm not going to say where for obvious reasons, but the locations are suitable for use in a wide variety of scenarios. 2: I have a variety of vehicles to use. 3: They run on petrol or diesel, like most other vehicles, and some are electric and can be charged via a generator or solar.

I just think bushcraft & hunting skills are more important in a SHTF situation than being able to stockpile some stuff because that stuff will eventually run out

It's apt of you if you practice those skills as well stockpiling though

Yes, I agree.

I am a bush craft, hunting and gathering instructor for the Scouts and I used to do the same when I was in the TA.

My sons and daughter are also skilled in this area.

they never seem to have any form of entertainment to ease the boredom and I've never seen stock piling of condoms for some reason.

they aint stock piling baby food and nappies etc either

In a survival situation, sex is a waste of calories.

And if it's a critical situation, I wouldn't be taking my wife with me anyway.

Why not just order a delivery online when you get there?

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
I always had a store cupboard full of food, drink, toiletries and cleaning stuff which I started within a year of moving in - over 10 years ago. So I replace when I have finished a bottle, packet, jar etc. Sometimes I buy extra if they on offer. On rare occasions at work, we get stuff we don’t sell or get communicated from HQ to give some products to colleagues. One example was earlier this year was coffee as the back label on some of small jars had the labels for large jars.

Because of this I was never panic buying. I must have been the only person to be asked by a shop worker to buy a pack of loo roll in March 2020. The Lidl I was in only allowed customers to buy one pack of loo roll. Couple in front of me had two and asked cashier could they buy the second pack of loo roll on a separate transaction. That was rejected. Cashier was on till where she could see the aisle which had loo roll which that section was empty. She then looked at my shopping - no loo rolls. Cashier asked me to do a big favour to buy this pack of loo roll. If she put the loo roll in the shelf, there would be fights. “Oh go on then” I said.

Many people live day to day. As I work in a supermarket, I see the same customers coming in every day buying what they are having for their evening meal plus a few items that buy weekly, monthly, less frequent. Such as milk, cheese, jam, gravy granules etc. These are the people who are panic buying.

Plus I think if I have a big expenditure month, I have food at home. I can make something like a bean bake from my cupboard. Just need a few mushrooms and a pepper (can use jarred peppers).

Back to those who buy day to day. How do they cope if they are ill, injured or have to self isolate?

Soldato
I'm stockpiling funny cat videos for when the power goes out. Got 20 cats in a box in the basement but they don't seem all that funny...

Back
Top Bottom