Anyone notice the performance gain from SATA3 SSD to NVMe drives?

Soldato
anyone can put real experiences on here for me please?

I don't care about benchmarks as the read and write speeds is irrelevant for any sort of normal applications unless you are working on large data processing.

Normal working condition:
Office/Browsing/Gaming

Soldato
I swapped my SATA drive for a M.2 NVMe drive, haven't really noticed any difference (feels a little snappier but that could be because I've done a complete fresh re-install)

Soldato
There is a difference but real world usage is minimal, that's simply because sata ssds are already extremely efficient

exactly

as above if its part of a whole new system there is no point not not going for NVMe but if its just a hdd / SSd swap its 6 of 1 , half a dozen of the other

Actually thinking about it - if you are going to boot off it (and therefore do a complete Windows re-install / reimage) should also be part of decision making in the sense of its pointless going for NVMe if you are not reinstalling Windows imo

Soldato
No perceivable difference to the average user. Same goes for different tier SATA SSD's. Just make sure you don't get a crap one that's all

RSR

RSR

Soldato
I've both a Intel 750 and a few Samsung 850's and in games there is no difference, windows feels a bit snapper but that could be more of a placebo effect. The only difference I have noticed is using some of the Adobe CC programs like Premiere for instance with scrubbing through time lines etc...

Associate
Switching from a SSD to NVME drive is more about shifting large blocks of data more quickly so unless you have a work load that requires that sort of speed just stick with the SSD and windows is more tuned for SSD`s including win 10.

Associate
Went from Samsung 500gb 850 Evo Sata SSD to Toshiba 512gb XG3 OEM M.2. NVMe SSD, the difference in boot time is astounding. Also load into multiplayer games much quicker. Aside from that, can't say much apart from the difference being way noticeable when copying and moving large files/folders around. Bear in mind that the NVMe M.2 SSDs tend to get super hot in some cases so make sure you got good cooling. I reach 70C under load on my Toshiba SSD.

Back
Top Bottom