• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone on more recent stuff waiting for faster (not first year) DDR5 before upgrading?

Soldato
OP
That is going to be about a 6+ year wait then :/ if you waiting with what is in your sig at moment then you will ne struggling way before that I would think.
These days we are starting to see decent uplifts that benefit even if you upgrade in just 1 or 2 generations now.

Wonder if Intel will start allowing more generations of CPUs to be used on their boards. Currently a lot more convenient with AMD since you only have to swap the chip.

Soldato
That is going to be about a 6+ year wait then :/ if you waiting with what is in your sig at moment then you will ne struggling way before that I would think.

Dunno its only last month i got the rig in my sig. Been rocking nehalem xeon quad core for 10 years. If this amd cpu can last as long then thats great but from what iv read these amd CPUs suffer from degradation so doubt they can last 10 years at even stock speeds. Will have to wait and see.
Gpu upgrade first to take some load off the cpu with more advanced video codec hardware acceleration

Soldato
I also don't. This is why I pulled forward the assembly of my new configuration and it's now with the Ryzen 9 5900X.

Codenamed new APU Raphael includes Navi graphics.

https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-2020-2022-cpu-apu-roadmap-leak-zen-2-3-4-families-unveiled/
Having APU doesn’t mean the chip will be worse tho. I think they added vega to the chip because the node shrink so potentially space for fitting more stuff on a give due size.

anyway nothing is completely confirmed. I for one would welcome APU availability. Makes budget build super easy.

Soldato
Having APU doesn’t mean the chip will be worse tho. I think they added vega to the chip because the node shrink so potentially space for fitting more stuff on a give due size.

anyway nothing is completely confirmed. I for one would welcome APU availability. Makes budget build super easy.

Yes I've been thinking of a mini ITX APU as a second PC build. Cheap, small and cool.

Permabanned

But also makes enthusiasts builds impossible, simply because you get lower end APU instead of SKUs with more chiplets.

Ask yourself which is better - the 3-chiplet 16-core Ryzen 9 5950X or the APU 8-core Ryzen 9 5900H?

Soldato
But also makes enthusiasts builds impossible, simply because you get lower end APU instead of SKUs with more chiplets.

Ask yourself which is better - the 3-chiplet 16-core Ryzen 9 5950X or the APU 8-core Ryzen 9 5900H?
We don’t know the Zen4 will be limited to 8c. I think >8c they probably won’t have IGPU in the die

but I do see the top of APU range will be an 8c part. Doesn’t seem to make much sense to have more cores for APU.

Permabanned
We don’t know the Zen4 will be limited to 8c. I think >8c they probably won’t have IGPU in the die

but I do see the top of APU range will be an 8c part. Doesn’t seem to make much sense to have more cores for APU.

According to the leaked roadmap, Raphael will have Zen cores with something labelled Nav, it most probably means Navi graphics, and not some feature like navigation or something else.

This leads us and many articles to believe that AMD will drop the chiplet design and will go the current Intel route - only APUs offered across the entire product stack.

Would be great if NOT correct, but AMD should make a mistake at some point and it seems the perfect timing for Bulldozer type of mistake again.

Soldato
Lol, bulldozer...

let’s see. I think they are probably trying to consolidate their mobile and desktop chips.

also APU is extremely popular with OEM so they probably trying to break into that market sector where intel reigns supreme.

Back
Top Bottom