Anyone on Smarty?

Caporegime
My sim only contract ends next month, currently paying £20 for 100G on Three. Their best deal would be 120G for £17 but I don’t need that much. 50G a month is plenty and I see Smarty has 50G for £8.

Anyone with them and do they have free EU roaming? I can see 12G, is that within the 50G?

Also, do they allow tether and hotspot?

Not sure who else to go with, any recommendations for sim only contracts.

Associate
Have a look at Talkmobile - it’s on the Vodafone network

I also have an IDMobile sim in my tablet and would recommend. It has data rollover which is useful, as I rarely use it when I’m in the UK, but when I go abroad I effectively have double allowance

As for tethering/hotspotting, there’s no issue with either provider. I’m not sure it’s a common restriction nowadays

Caporegime
I've been with Smarty for a couple of years now and they're great.

Tethering and hotspot is allowed, the roaming allowance comes out of the normal data limit.

Their service is decent too, I've switched plans a couple of times even when they've done special offers through MSE & uSwitch and been able to do it through the chat service.

5G speeds are great, probably only a bit slower than you'd get on Three direct.

JiI9htn.jpg

Soldato
I've been Smarty for a couple of years as well since Three were no longer offering EU roaming. I've yet to use it in Europe but my brother does. It's generally good and hassle free. I got a 30GB > 60GB deal for £10 a month and this hasn't changed.

Soldato
On smarty here for a work mobile when I need it in the south of Ireland - I occasionally have to travel down there - no issues at all and also on their 8 quid a month jobby.

I can't fault Smarty.

£8pm for 50GB, roamed in Romania recently with no issues. Good speed and all out of data allowance etc.

My only small gripe is that I can't roam in Switzerland, France/Germany fine - but the Swiss... no dice.

Soldato
Can't fault them since i joined them a couple of years ago. No issue with EU roaming in Italy, France, Belgium and I think Denmark. Better signal than 3 before.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I've been on Smarty for a couple of years after EE and so has my wife.
We have holidayed in Gran Canaria, Paris, Benidorm, Austria with no problems using the phone.
I'm on 60gb for £10 so £8 for 50gb is a steal.

Associate
There's a 12GB limit for EU roaming, so not your full 50GB. However they do allow you to purchase addon GB for around £1 each. We've used them for a good few years in during our trips driving through EU to Norway.

Soldato
There's a 12GB limit for EU roaming, so not your full 50GB. However they do allow you to purchase addon GB for around £1 each. We've used them for a good few years in during our trips driving through EU to Norway.
Not noticed that limit yet. Is it a daily limit?

Edit: monthly; I'd better be a bit more cautious then.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP

12G a month is fine, I usually only go for for long weekend or a week max anyway.

Soldato
I've had Smarty for about a year. It's not that great for me. 4G is very intermitting in the car and although I've used it for roaming in Spain and Tenerife, it didn't work at all in Portugal. Had a network and signal, but calls weren't connected and I couldn't get data. I think maybe there's something about Porto which means only some networks have proper reciprocal arrangements. I was the only one out of 6 of us whose phone didn't work though. At least one of others was on Three too. I was probably the only one on 4G though, so maybe that was something too.

I'm moving to Lebara when I can be bothered mainly because data fails about every 30 mins whilst I'm driving, often meaning I have to restart apps like BBC Sounds to continue listening to things. Again though, maybe it's just me being on 4G still, but I never used to have this problem on EE.

Last edited:
Associate
I had terrible customer service when trying to activate a prepaid data sim I bought a while ago as a backup. Got stuck in a loop with an idiot who repeatedly told me to do things that were not possible on their website, or would lead me to signing up for a new sim. Cannot remember specific details but it was enough to convince me not to consider them as a service.

Went with ID mobile instead, so far so good, including reasonable experience with EU usage.

Back
Top Bottom