• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone planning to buy the RX 6900 XT, rather than RTX 3080?

Associate
As mentioned, the guy states he plays competitive games, with no RT, at 1440p.... For his use case 6900XT is better in every way that matters... Slightly higher raster perf is worth everything.

As for DLSS being a selling point for a £1500 (lols) top of the range graphics card.... Well... <sigh>

Competitive games, even easier decision.

NVidia for reflex/ gsync. Freesync is a joke and freesync monitors in general have tons of issues.

Plus, drivers.

And once again, the complications of going from a 3080 to a 6900xt just for a few more frames in certain situations but overall having a crappier experience, nevermind issues with warranty and who knows what else? Not like the 6900xt is store bought. Its from a guy who wants the 3080 to mine so prolly mined that 6900xt too in who knows what conditions?

Hard pass.

Permabanned
As mentioned, the guy states he plays competitive games, with no RT, at 1440p.... For his use case 6900XT is better in every way that matters... Slightly higher raster perf is worth everything.

As for DLSS being a selling point for a £1500 (lols) top of the range graphics card.... Well... <sigh>

Well lets consider a legacy rasterisation title with a £649 3080 hitting 100 FPS at 1440p, while a £999 6900XT hits 105 FPS. DLSS is then enabled on the 3080, which results in 140+ FPS.

That's without even considering Nvidia's latency reducing Reflex tech.

lols :rolleyes:

Caporegime

Get out of here with that totally logical and reasonable rationale. :D

Soldato
Competitive games, even easier decision.

NVidia for reflex/ gsync. Freesync is a joke and freesync monitors in general have tons of issues.

Plus, drivers.

And once again, the complications of going from a 3080 to a 6900xt just for a few more frames in certain situations but overall having a crappier experience, nevermind issues with warranty and who knows what else? Not like the 6900xt is store bought. Its from a guy who wants the 3080 to mine so prolly mined that 6900xt too in who knows what conditions?

Hard pass.

Even Gsync compatible has issues, I know cause I've run into them on my lg OLED. The screens with the inbuilt Gsync ultimate box are freaking straight up awesome though

Associate
On some other forum I saw someone managing to SLI the 3090 to go from 110 to 150 fps in older online competitive games at 8K.

So DLSS is also a selling point no matter how expensive the card is.

You can take an RTX 3090 and Ryzen 5950x, install few mods and boom, Minecraft is still a slideshow.

The price and performance of a card doesn't matter, people still want high framerates after installing all their mods and at higher resolutions. DLSS is arguably more relevant the faster a card is for people wanting to push even above 144 hz at up to 8k resolution.

Gsync is also a major selling point as already mentioned, less frames on Nvidia still lead to less stutter with it over freesync. Sure I couldn't ever tell the difference, but then Im not really going to notice the difference between 140 FPS on an Nvidia card vs 160 FPS on an AMD.

FPS is an obsolete metric for assessing which GPU to buy.

Associate
Get out of here with that totally logical and reasonable rationale. :D

Logical and reasonable rationale?

Even ignoring the minimal differences in actual FPS between the cards. You actually saying its a good idea to :

- change his perfectly working 3080 that he cared for himself for a 6900xt which most likely got mined hard in who knows what conditions
- lose his warranty
- have new possible issues he didnt have until then relating to his monitor

yea, totally.

Associate
Even Gsync compatible has issues, I know cause I've run into them on my lg OLED. The screens with the inbuilt Gsync ultimate box are freaking straight up awesome though

Yeah gsync compatible is just freesync monitors that were tested and work MOST of the time like they should. Still doesnt hold a candle to gsync module ones. The flickering, black screens and many other issues attest to that.

No point even mentioning freesync ones, those are pure garbage.

Associate
cant help but feel that 90% of people on this forum are sleeping on DLSS even when using it with the higher end Nvidia GPUs, as for the 3080 my main concern would be the somewhat limited VRAM in the next couple years but not sure i would gamble and trade it for a used 6900 XT knowing the 3080 was working perfectly with warranty etc, not sure the extra 10/15 fps would be worth the hassle on my opinion.

Associate
Yeah gsync compatible is just freesync monitors that were tested and work MOST of the time like they should. Still doesnt hold a candle to gsync module ones. The flickering, black screens and many other issues attest to that.

No point even mentioning freesync ones, those are pure garbage.

Really trying not to spill my personal issues into every single thread, but I was planning on an LG OLED later this year, but G sync wont work on it?

Soldato
OP
DLSS is always relevant if the GPU utilization is reaching 100% / close to it, in games with DLSS off. I know it doesn't appeal to everyone, but it's a very easy way to boost performance, whilst keeping the benefits of a higher output resolution.

The only obvious drawback, is quite a lot of recently released games don't support it. There are still games that fully utilize a RTX 3090 at high resolutions, so anything that help to reduce the load on the GPU is an obvious benefit. If Flight Simulator (highly GPU intensive) had DLSS, I'm sure the RTX 3090 could handle it at high framerates, at 4K.

I notice many reviews seem to ignore DLSS, to try to give a fairer view of AMD and Nvidia GPUs. But, I don't think this gives a realistic view of performance for many games (when you compare many games at 4K, with DLSS most RTX 3000 series cards can generally hit 60 FPS or more at 4K, equivalent AMD cards often cannot). It does seem strange to me that some still debate the effectiveness of DLSS, I can only guess this is a case of "The Fox and the Grapes".

Having said that, perhaps AMD will be able to develop an equivalent technology to DLSS this year, at which point, I think the RX 6800 XT and RX 6900 will become a much more attractive choice. Although, there may be even better GPUs from AMD coming next year, so maybe not the best time to buy, with the supply situation as it is.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well lets consider a legacy rasterisation title with a £649 3080 hitting 100 FPS at 1440p, while a £999 6900XT hits 105 FPS. DLSS is then enabled on the 3080, which results in 140+ FPS.

That's without even considering Nvidia's latency reducing Reflex tech.

lols :rolleyes:

First off DLSS is not perfect, it's not magic either, it has some flaws that vary in intensity from game to game. I've seen it myself when I had an RTX 3070 in my system. Do you know how many times I wanted/needed to use DLSS? 1 time... do you know how many times I ended up using it? 0! why? artifacts due to fast movement annoyed the heck out of me. I'm not saying DLSS is bad, it certainly isn't but thinking that it's just free performance for no visual loss is rather ignorant IMHO.

Regarding Reflex, well, AMD already has its Anti Lag feature and I be honest I don't know who comes out on top if you compare the two but it sure will make the results closer.

cant help but feel that 90% of people on this forum are sleeping on DLSS even when using it with the higher end Nvidia GPUs, as for the 3080 my main concern would be the somewhat limited VRAM in the next couple years but not sure i would gamble and trade it for a used 6900 XT knowing the 3080 was working perfectly with warranty etc, not sure the extra 10/15 fps would be worth the hassle on my opinion.

In todays market that is certainly a valid argument.

Gsync doesn't work on AMD so I won't ever be getting an AMD GPU.

Freesync is more like lolsync.

I'll take gsync with 20% less FPS because its still visually better and I already have a g sync monitor and soon a g sync 4K TV.

1) There are Gsync monitors that also support adaptive sync and no I'm not talking about Gsync compatible but monitors with actual Gsync modules. 2) Gsync does not look visually better and certainly not if you choose to sack 20% of your FPS on top. Either the Sync tech is working and syncing frames or it doesn't and something in your chain is faulty.

Soldato
OP
I think that to a large extent, AMD has failed to compete with Nvidia in the last couple of years (both on price and product availability), I don't know if it's something they could've avoided though, it might just be that sufficient production capacity at TSMC simply isn't enough to cope with demand. But, did they buy as much capacity as they could have?

For AMD though, their main focus seems to be on desktop and server CPUs (they appear to be prioritizing the 5nm node for CPUs next year, rather than for graphics cards according to their CPU and GPU roadmaps). This makes sense, as they have been making a lot of profit recently with their Zen 3 CPUs.

We still need AMD to try to bring GPU prices down, Nvidia certainty won't (in fact, they generally do the opposite). And Intel is too new to the GPU market to put a dent in Nvidia's success.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think that to a large extent, AMD has failed to compete with Nvidia in the last couple of years (both on price and product availability), I don't know if it's something they could've avoided though, it might just be that sufficient production capacity at TSMC simply isn't enough to cope with demand. But, did they buy as much capacity as they could have?

For AMD though, their main focus seems to be on desktop and server CPUs (they appear to be prioritizing the 5nm node for CPUs next year, rather than for graphics cards according to their CPU and GPU roadmaps).

We still need AMD to try to bring GPU prices down, Nvidia certainty won't (in fact, they generally do the opposite). And Intel is too new to the GPU market to put a dent in Nvidia's success.

Why would AMD bring the prices down? Everyone is willing to pay the silly prices so AMD are just gonna jump on the gravy train, no reason not to...

Soldato

For AMD though, their main focus seems to be on desktop and server CPUs (they appear to be prioritizing the 5nm node for CPUs next year, rather than for graphics cards according to their CPU and GPU roadmaps). This makes sense, as they have been making a lot of profit recently with their Zen 3 CPUs.

Why would AMD bring the prices down? Everyone is willing to pay the silly prices so AMD are just gonna jump on the gravy train, no reason not to...

Seems to be distributors who are earning a buttload of money this time around, not AMD/Nvidia(well they earn enough already) and not retailers.

Associate

What silly prices though?

RTX 3080 has an RRP of £649.

What do people think AMD can do about that? Neither AMD or Nvidia can beat the scalpers.

Unless scalping is somehow made illegal, nothing is going to stop it.

Permabanned
First off DLSS is not perfect, it's not magic either, it has some flaws that vary in intensity from game to game. I've seen it myself when I had an RTX 3070 in my system. Do you know how many times I wanted/needed to use DLSS? 1 time... do you know how many times I ended up using it? 0! why? artifacts due to fast movement annoyed the heck out of me. I'm not saying DLSS is bad, it certainly isn't but thinking that it's just free performance for no visual loss is rather ignorant IMHO.

Calling ignorance when you had one oppertunity to experience DLSS :cry: Time has moved on and as you know DLSS is now offered as a one click include for both Unity and Unreal Engine giving you far more choice today. As you will also know, Call of Duty Warzone, an online competitive shooter requiring high FPS and low latency, is also getting DLSS this Thursday. Will be nice to see some benchmarks with that.

No one said DLSS is perfect. The original version was awful, while today's version is far superior allowing low tier Nvidia cards to outperform top tier competition with very little if any issues. This is why AMD are still hinting, now 5 months after launch of RDNA2, at their own version though I doubt we will see it before RDNA3.

With a 3080 and an old Ivy Bridge 3770k I use DLSS at every oppertunity not just to increase FPS, but also to reduce GPU workload. The only issue I've experienced with it was in CP2077 where I had weapon artifacting when face planting in to a wall and strafing, basically pushing the weapon inside a wall.

DLSS isn't magic, but it's as close as you can get to it with a GPU ;)

Soldato
What silly prices though?

RTX 3080 has an RRP of £649.

What do people think AMD can do about that? Neither AMD or Nvidia can beat the scalpers.

Unless scalping is somehow made illegal, nothing is going to stop it.

The FE is £649.... Any AIB even close to that was subsidised for a very small quantity, realistically it's closer to £750-800. Before scalping.

And even at £649, for not the top of the range, is frankly silly. The only generation that doesn't look bad against is the 20 series which were ridiculous.

Yes the current circumstances don't help at all, and retailers, distributers and scum are all having a laugh but that only masks that the base price is too damn high.

Soldato
Calling ignorance when you had one oppertunity to experience DLSS :cry: Time has moved on and as you know DLSS is now offered as a one click include for both Unity and Unreal Engine giving you far more choice today. As you will also know, Call of Duty Warzone, an online competitive shooter requiring high FPS and low latency, is also getting DLSS this Thursday. Will be nice to see some benchmarks with that.

No one said DLSS is perfect. The original version was awful, while today's version is far superior allowing low tier Nvidia cards to outperform top tier competition with very little if any issues. This is why AMD are still hinting, now 5 months after launch of RDNA2, at their own version though I doubt we will see it before RDNA3.

With a 3080 and an old Ivy Bridge 3770k I use DLSS at every oppertunity not just to increase FPS, but also to reduce GPU workload. The only issue I've experienced with it was in CP2077 where I had weapon artifacting when face planting in to a wall and strafing, basically pushing the weapon inside a wall.

DLSS isn't magic, but it's as close as you can get to it with a GPU ;)

You clearly misunderstood what I've written. I actually tried DLSS several times just to see it in action, only one game where I wanted to use it due to poor performance but ended up not because of motion artifacts. I've tested DLSS several times with several games but there is a difference between using DLSS to enjoy a game and testing DLSS to see how it performs. I've only wanted to use DLSS once to enjoy a game and it failed hard! and yes this was/is Cyberpunk. It was when driving that tires and backlight had trailing issues. It was the Iron sight on guns trailing and even worse if there were some light colors like green involved. So basically all the freaking time I would have to look at it. Now to be fair Mechwarrior 5 faired a lot better but there were still motion artifacts although nowhere near the same levels as with Cyberpunk.

So yes I believe you are ignorant if you think DLSS is just free performance with no downside. I didn't say the downside wasn't worth it or near nonexistent to some people. Would be nice if people could "upgrade" their reading comprehension alongside their GPUs ;P

Permabanned
You clearly misunderstood what I've written. I actually tried DLSS several times just to see it in action, only one game where I wanted to use it due to poor performance but ended up not because of motion artifacts. I've tested DLSS several times with several games but there is a difference between using DLSS to enjoy a game and testing DLSS to see how it performs. I've only wanted to use DLSS once to enjoy a game and it failed hard! and yes this was/is Cyberpunk. It was when driving that tires and backlight had trailing issues. It was the Iron sight on guns trailing and even worse if there were some light colors like green involved. So basically all the freaking time I would have to look at it. Now to be fair Mechwarrior 5 faired a lot better but there were still motion artifacts although nowhere near the same levels as with Cyberpunk.

So yes I believe you are ignorant if you think DLSS is just free performance with no downside. I didn't say the downside wasn't worth it or near nonexistent to some people. Would be nice if people could "upgrade" their reading comprehension alongside their GPUs ;P

Reading comprehension now ... :rolleyes:

Do you know how many times I wanted/needed to use DLSS? 1 time... do you know how many times I ended up using it? 0!

Anyone else here manage to read more in to the above?

Ah I remember your CP2077 post now. As I said the only issue I experienced was when face planting in to a wall, placing my weapon inside said wall, and strafing would leave a ghosted trail. I even posted pics where I'd flick the mouse from side to side during normal play that showed zero issues, yet in return saw no pics of issues. But that's history now. DLSS continues to go from strength to strength. What card are you using now?

Again, I didn't say DLSS is perfect, but I would say it's pretty close to it. Certainly worth picking a card supporting it over one that doesn't. Maybe even a requirement now for anyone playing competitive games.

Back
Top Bottom