• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone planning to buy the RX 6900 XT, rather than RTX 3080?

Associate
How well does DLSS work below 4K in terms of IQ? I've seen plenty of coverage at that resolution but not a huge amount below. I've read that it's not as impressive due to the lower number of pixels/detail it has to work with, is that correct?

Permabanned
How well does DLSS work below 4K in terms of IQ? I've seen plenty of coverage at that resolution but not a huge amount below. I've read that it's not as impressive due to the lower number of pixels/detail it has to work with, is that correct?

DLSS has several levels of performance. I think Quality at 4k uses 1440p as a source and Performance uses 1080p. I use 1440p with DLSS Quality, 1080p source, which is fantastic. Some have said it can look better than native. I'd say it looks as good as native.

Soldato
DLSS has several levels of performance. I think Quality at 4k uses 1440p as a source and Performance uses 1080p. I use 1440p with DLSS Quality, 1080p source, which is fantastic. Some have said it can look better than native. I'd say it looks as good as native.
I’ve never understood the thinking behind how a digital image, containing less information, can “look better than the original”.

Associate
I’ve never understood the thinking behind how a digital image, containing less information, can “look better than the original”.

Because the AI predicts what the image should look like. Fills in the gaps of information with its own information thus making it contain same amount of information.

you cant probably decipher this with less information. just as quick.

"it rea**y i* n**t *****science"

Soldato

If you watch the games nexus video there is some senarios where the dlss will add detail that isn't there in the native image.

From my personal experience I would say the top setting at 4k is just as good as the native but with loads more frames. Great for games like call of duty playing 4k 120fps.

Soldato

Personally I wouldn't use DLSS under 4k, it seems like 4k is the sweet spot for the technology - basically I'll set screen resolution to 4k, then DLSS on with Quality mode and call it a day.

I bet 8k Quality Mode would also look great, but I don't think DLSS has a 8k quality mode at the moment, it has a 8k performance mode

Permabanned
Personally I wouldn't use DLSS under 4k, it seems like 4k is the sweet spot for the technology - basically I'll set screen resolution to 4k, then DLSS on with Quality mode and call it a day.

I bet 8k Quality Mode would also look great, but I don't think DLSS has a 8k quality mode at the moment, it has a 8k performance mode

DLSS Quality at native 1440p was excellent during CP2077, while Performance setting left sparkles in dark areas. Having posted several pics on here I was asked if I had DLSS on or off, it was that good. I managed to play with everything maxed out including Psycho setting and SS reflections off (meaning they were also raytraced) using an old Ivy Bridge system. As someone who laughed at early DLSS, I was very impressed with v2. I'll have DLSS on by default when ever I have the chance.

I'd be interested to see 1080p Quality vs native.

Permabanned
DLSS Quality at native 1440p was excellent during CP2077, while Performance setting left sparkles in dark areas. Having posted several pics on here I was asked if I had DLSS on or off, it was that good. I managed to play with everything maxed out including Psycho setting and SS reflections off (meaning they were also raytraced) using an old Ivy Bridge system. As someone who laughed at early DLSS, I was very impressed with v2. I'll have DLSS on by default when ever I have the chance.

I'd be interested to see 1080p Quality vs native.

here are some comparisons for u

https://imgsli.com/NTE2MTA

personal remarks

1080p dlss quality with nvidia sharpen looks near-native
1080p native with sharpen looks better but feels oversharpened (dlss quality offsets the oversharpening effect)
1080p dlss quality sharpen decimates the native 720p (%70 resolution scaling)

dlss does a better job at handling the "warning" text

thin barbed wires are more visible with dlss (to the right of the screen)

dlss quality sharpened textures look better than native 1080p textures, but native 1080p textures look better than dlss quality without any sharpening involved

--

the reason i included no-sharpen native in these comparisons is because game has built-in sharpening filter for non-dlss situations. but when dlss is activated, this sharpening filter is removed, and dlss implementation in this game lacks sharpening. in other words, native resolution is actually sharpened in-game (the sharpening i added is extra, so to speak)

Associate

I've seen this sentiment a lot. I'd like to see it first hand at some point just out of curiousity. I'm on AMD for this gen so it's a moot point but it's always good to have the option of a feature like this.

Until AMD have their equivalent ready I'll have to make do with the resolution scaling feature coupled with RIS. It isn't quite as good I'm sure but I've tested in one or two games and the results looked decent and weren't distracting once in motion. I've not had real cause to use it yet (Crysis Remastered with RT could have done with it but I couldn't set the custom Res for some reason) but I suspect Metro Exodus post RT update will require it for good FPS.

Soldato
OP
Below 4K, and I think the internal resolution is a bit too low, but it depends on the size of your monitor how much visual difference this makes.

DLSS 4K Quality mode looks good. 4K DLSS Performance mode is fine too (Performance sets the internal resolution to 50% of your display resolution). In Watchdogs Legion, the antialiasing for quality mode is noticeably improved vs performance mode, at a distance. Performance mode was fine in most situations though, and the name describes it well.

Ultra performance is pretty crap though, I don't see the point in it tbh.

Obviously, if you have a RTX 3080, 4K DLSS performance mode probably won't be needed in most cases, 4K DLSS Quality mode should be achievable.

I've noticed that even DLSS quality mode doesn't look particularly good above 4K resolution (native DSR reduced aliasing more effectively), I imagine Nvidia will rectify this as people start using monitors above 4K resolution.

Last edited:
Permabanned

personal remarks

1080p native with sharpen looks better but feels oversharpened (dlss quality offsets the oversharpening effect)

dlss quality sharpened textures look better than native 1080p textures, but native 1080p textures look better than dlss quality without any sharpening involved

--

the reason i included no-sharpen native in these comparisons is because game has built-in sharpening filter for non-dlss situations. but when dlss is activated, this sharpening filter is removed, and dlss implementation in this game lacks sharpening. in other words, native resolution is actually sharpened in-game (the sharpening i added is extra, so to speak)

Thanks for taking the time to do this.

Associate

personal remarks

--

What did you use to force sharpening when dlss was enabled?

Back
Top Bottom