• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone reinstall windows going from older gen to Alder Lake?

Man of Honour
Made myself a bootable usb for windows 11 just incase it all goes spazzy on me.

Last resort thing

Most games/apps will be scheduled on the right cores, so I wouldn't worry about it unless you have an issue. If you don't have a 12600K or up, then you definitely won't have an issue :D

Soldato
OP
Just reinstall windows, it only takes about ten minutes these days :) It’s painless!
I think its more reinstalling all my software like lightroom and photoshop and many others that i use regularly. Unfortunately i had them installed on my OS drive like a numpty but then i remembered why i did it, i had no money back then so couldn't afford more drives to install everything on. Abit different now, i should really move all the important software off my OS drive now that i think about it.

Soldato
OP
Insurgency Sandstorm, great game, a little known gem.
So just finished plumbing all my watercooling stuff, installed and double checked everything and all is well! Couldn't boot into windows on the first try then remembered i needed to enable CSM so did that and Boom, windows boot drive detected! Installed all my drivers through the Asrock installation utility which worked just fine and its not full of bloatware for once.

Checked to make sure everything is running and working as it should be, memory working at the rated XMP profile 5600mhz with the correct timing C36. Checked PCIE riser is running at gen 4 x16, checked my temps all good.

Then had a quick round on Sandstorm and wow! No more frame dips even when the screen is super busy with smoke and fire etc. Before with the 9900kf and 3090 it would start fine and use around 89% gpu utilisation but then drop down to around 60% and especially when the screen is busy, frames can drop down below 60fps.
I'm not averaging around 220fps+ and i think the highest i saw was around 240fps on max everything. FPS doesn't dip below 180fps, brilliant! What a difference!

Temps were brilliant, P cores highest 58c and lowest at 51c. E cores all sat at 40c! This thing runs cooler than my 9900kf.

Want to get into some overclocking tomorrow but need to do some reading first.

Last edited:
Soldato
You might be fine on Win10 but be on the lookout for programs that aren't scheduled correctly.

I just built a 12600k system for a mate and he uses DXO Photolab which was only using the E-Cores so was slower than the 5820k he replaced it with. Running a program like Process Lasso fixed this so he could assign which cores to use.

Ran the same Photolab on Win11 and it worked perfectly.

Soldato
OP
You might be fine on Win10 but be on the lookout for programs that aren't scheduled correctly.

I just built a 12600k system for a mate and he uses DXO Photolab which was only using the E-Cores so was slower than the 5820k he replaced it with. Running a program like Process Lasso fixed this so he could assign which cores to use.

Ran the same Photolab on Win11 and it worked perfectly.
I installed all my components last night and tbh it was pretty seamless. As someone mentioned the drivers didn't auto update or install by itself through windows for whatever reason so i had to use the auto installer that was included with the Asrock motherboard. The installer does everything for you, installs and restarts then carries on installing which is handy. Just sat there with a cuppa and watched it do its thing.

So far no issues, had a game on insurgency to make sure it runs and no blue screens. I haven't tested any other work loads yet or benchmarks so we'll see how that goes tonight. I primarily use photoshop and lightroom so i'll see if there's any issues with exporting/compiling my photos.

Soldato
I recently swapped to a 12700K from an AMD 3900X and Windows 10 just sorted the initial drivers out during the first boot. I was intending to upgrade to Windows 11 but just haven't got round to it but I haven't noticed any issues in games.

Now the 3900X + X570 mobo went into another case and I installed Win 11 and had lots of problems getting the CPU to idle properly as it kept wanting to run at 45W rather than 15W. Fixed it by installing Windows 10 and it just worked properly.

I'll try Win 11 on the 12700K.

Soldato
Now the 3900X + X570 mobo went into another case and I installed Win 11 and had lots of problems getting the CPU to idle properly as it kept wanting to run at 45W rather than 15W.
Ryzen is borked on Windows 11 because much of Microsoft's dev resources went towards getting Alder Lake's hybrid design to work properly. Whether the crippling of AMD is accidental or intentional is a conversation for another time and place.

I thought a lot of the issues were resolved though...

Caporegime
So just finished plumbing all my watercooling stuff, installed and double checked everything and all is well! Couldn't boot into windows on the first try then remembered i needed to enable CSM so did that and Boom, windows boot drive detected! Installed all my drivers through the Asrock installation utility which worked just fine and its not full of bloatware for once.

Checked to make sure everything is running and working as it should be, memory working at the rated XMP profile 5600mhz with the correct timing C36. Checked PCIE riser is running at gen 4 x16, checked my temps all good.

Then had a quick round on Sandstorm and wow! No more frame dips even when the screen is super busy with smoke and fire etc. Before with the 9900kf and 3090 it would start fine and use around 89% gpu utilisation but then drop down to around 60% and especially when the screen is busy, frames can drop down below 60fps.
I'm not averaging around 220fps+ and i think the highest i saw was around 240fps on max everything. FPS doesn't dip below 180fps, brilliant! What a difference!

Temps were brilliant, P cores highest 58c and lowest at 51c. E cores all sat at 40c! This thing runs cooler than my 9900kf.

Want to get into some overclocking tomorrow but need to do some reading first.

I had that problem with the 3600, worse than you with the 9900K, with the 5800X it sits solidly at around 120 FPS with the 2070S properly loaded at 1440P. i've gone from a CPU limitation to a GPU limitation.

Nice to have a good strong CPU isn't it? it really matters. Now all i need to a GPU to compliment it.

Glad its worked out, Win 11 is not so bad is it? :)

Ryzen is borked on Windows 11 because much of Microsoft's dev resources went towards getting Alder Lake's hybrid design to work properly. Whether the crippling of AMD is accidental or intentional is a conversation for another time and place.

I thought a lot of the issues were resolved though...

Its fine.... :)

5 cores sleeping, 2 at 300Mhz, one at 600Mhz, 10 watts SOC, 4 watts CPU.

osvk1Bj.png

Soldato
OP
I had that problem with the 3600, worse than you with the 9900K, with the 5800X it sits solidly at around 120 FPS with the 2070S properly loaded at 1440P. i've gone from a CPU limitation to a GPU limitation.

Nice to have a good strong CPU isn't it? it really matters. Now all i need to a GPU to compliment it.

Glad its worked out, Win 11 is not so bad is it? :)

Its fine.... :)

5 cores sleeping, 2 at 300Mhz, one at 600Mhz, 10 watts SOC, 4 watts CPU.

osvk1Bj.png

I'm thankfully i dont have either issue anymore now, both cpu and gpu is nicely utilised and compliments each other. Did cost an arm and a leg but worth the pennies to get there.

I haven't installed win11 yet haha, win10 just works so far so im not gonna jump on it just yet until i see some limitations in what im using day to day.

I did make a bootable media for win11 just incase, so i have it ready if it does come to it.

4 wats is insane! I think the lowest i've seen mine drop to was around 7w but usually sits around 10w if you average it out.

I've probably picked the worse day for overclocking in 30 degree heat lol but managing a 1.35v for 5ghz Pcore, 4ghz Ecore and 4.1ghz Ring ratio gives me this Cinebench R23 score:

KcGxk7K.jpg

I think i can push the Ecore ratio to 4.1ghz too, i feel there's a tad bit more left in the tank to go. R23 bench does see some high temps though even on a custom loop, touching 94c for the duration at those voltages and vrm temps touching 85c with a noctua fan over it. Obviously gaming temps will be a lot lower so i've definitely hit the ceiling here until i can work out how to do the offsets for core voltage and VID properly.

Caporegime
I'm thankfully i dont have either issue anymore now, both cpu and gpu is nicely utilised and compliments each other. Did cost an arm and a leg but worth the pennies to get there.

I haven't installed win11 yet haha, win10 just works so far so im not gonna jump on it just yet until i see some limitations in what im using day to day.

I did make a bootable media for win11 just incase, so i have it ready if it does come to it.

4 wats is insane! I think the lowest i've seen mine drop to was around 7w but usually sits around 10w if you average it out.

I've probably picked the worse day for overclocking in 30 degree heat lol but managing a 1.35v for 5ghz Pcore, 4ghz Ecore and 4.1ghz Ring ratio gives me this Cinebench R23 score:

KcGxk7K.jpg

I think i can push the Ecore ratio to 4.1ghz too, i feel there's a tad bit more left in the tank to go. R23 bench does see some high temps though even on a custom loop, touching 94c for the duration at those voltages and vrm temps touching 85c with a noctua fan over it. Obviously gaming temps will be a lot lower so i've definitely hit the ceiling here until i can work out how to do the offsets for core voltage and VID properly.

Alder Lake is a very good CPU, i like them, if i was buying now i would probably also get a 12700K, or at least i would have before the 5800X3D, that's such an interesting CPU. A though choice now.

Zen 3 cores do idle at ridiculously low power levels, lowest i have seen mine idle at is 0.024 watts per core, that's mobile phone levels of idle power, from a full size X86 CPU. what lets them down a bit is the SOC, its a Global Foundries 14nm chip and it idles way higher than the CPU CCD, under load it uses 25 watts, but its really cheap, the cost to AMD is probably about $3 and they aren't using high end wafer supply, so in that sense it works for them.

Anyway, My R23 score isn't even close to that. :o

Quite happy tho for a now 2 year old 8 core CPU.

pc1EgaJ.png

Soldato
OP
Alder Lake is a very good CPU, i like them, if i was buying now i would probably also get a 12700K, or at least i would have before the 5800X3D, that's such an interesting CPU. A though choice now.

Zen 3 cores do idle at ridiculously low power levels, lowest i have seen mine idle at is 0.024 watts per core, that's mobile phone levels of idle power, from a full size X86 CPU. what lets them down a bit is the SOC, its a Global Foundries 14nm chip and it idles way higher than the CPU CCD, under load it uses 25 watts, but its really cheap, the cost to AMD is probably about $3 and they aren't using high end wafer supply, so in that sense it works for them.

Anyway, My R23 score isn't even close to that. :o

Quite happy tho for a now 2 year old 8 core CPU.

pc1EgaJ.png
Crikey thats low! It's basically off at that point lol. Amazing what it can do and how low it can get and still work just fine. Ah i didn't know that, i've barely read into anything about AMD in the past few months, the 5800X3D was something i was going to dabble in but since the AM4 platform is dead i figured i'd go for Z690 and maybe drop in a Raptor lake if its worth buying when the time comes.

I just did a final run with these settings:

5.0ghz Pcores
4.1ghz Ecore
4.1ghz Ring Ratio
1.35v VID and 1.32v Vcore after vdrop with LLC at level 4, 2nd to lowest setting. The only concern was the temps which hit 94 during the cinenbench R23 run! Gaming loads are fine, it barely touches 60c.

5OpKFA5.jpg

Soldato
it takes like 10 minutes tops anyway.. and if you have configured your backup, gaming and app libraries on a second drive your basically hitting the ground running.

Soldato
OP
it takes like 10 minutes tops anyway.. and if you have configured your backup, gaming and app libraries on a second drive your basically hitting the ground running.
Always reinstall windows when changing motherboard, not doing so like deliberately tripping yourself up, then asking why it happened.
I ended up having to reinstall windows, the change over was too much for my 5 year old OS build. I think the changes over the years and the constant shift in drivers finally corrupted something. In the space of a few days i managed to rack up a might 17k in event viewer errors and warnings lol. Windows update got corrupted and was constantly getting corsair link errors + Processor 0 limited by firmware warnings. Monitors stopped going to sleep too! The list goes on!

Backed everything up and made a fresh download of all the applications i use ready for a fresh install of windows and im back up and running again with much quicker boot times as a bonus!

Back
Top Bottom