Anyone successfully delid a 8700k?

Soldato
Not sure I do lol. I’m just confused by https://www.overclockers.co.uk/inte...e-socket-lga1151-processor-oem-cp-00c-8p.html

Is this guaranteed to work at 4.9 max or 4.9-5.2 max? Is this just de-lid or pre binned? It’s just not clear. If it’s 4.9 max and at this price it’s a major rip off! I mean all of these chips reach this speed minimum right?

LMFAO

8 pack is charging you very high premium for a delid job lol

• 4.9-5.2Ghz capable
Go ahead a buy it :) be the premium puppet. im guessing most of those cpus would be 4.9+ capable even without the delid as delid has nothing to do with silicon lotto just temps.
i suggest you buy the cpu from somewhere else and delid it yourself and save yourself a lot of cash in the process as all your buying in that deal is a delid and silver ihs. for insane price uplift.

Associate
OP
LMFAO

8 pack is charging you very high premium for a delid job lol

• 4.9-5.2Ghz capable
Go ahead a buy it :) be the premium puppet. im guessing most of those cpus would be 4.9+ capable even without the delid as delid has nothing to do with silicon lotto just temps.
i suggest you buy the cpu from somewhere else and delid it yourself and save yourself a lot of cash in the process as all your buying in that deal is a delid and silver ihs. for insane price uplift.

If I did buy it I’d expect 5.1 as standard, but I wouldn’t expect OcUK to send me a 5.2 if they found one. They’d probably save it for the £800+ model of 5.2 confirmed, which to me isn’t very customer friendly.

They should send me whatever they find when they delid the cpu and not move onto one that won’t clock high... that would be the luck of the draw in the truest sense. Alternatively they should also not keep going until they find me one that is +4.9Ghz...

Basically what I am saying is that whatever chip they open and whatever the results may be should be the one they send, but there is no way in confirming if they do this. Literally zero other than their word.

I don’t know. Maybe @8Pack can shed some light on this?

Soldato
Its all lucrative stuff these days with OCUK and there delids.
you never truly know what your getting now like the above link 4.9+ - 5.2 capable ? thats like saying here we will sell you this car thats stated in having a remap that does 350bhp but when you get the car it turns out it didnt have a remap and was only 300bhp. - did you pay for the 300bhp or the 350bhp lol

i would stick with what i said when it comes to buying cpus my advice would be to buy your OEM cpu or even retail for that matter as its pretty simple to get a intel security seal, from anywhere other than OCUK and delid it yourself that way there is no tampering/testing to see if the chip falls into the golden sample lineup of OCUKs mega build systems. or into a pile batch cpus and sent out the 4.9 cpus to customers with shiny IHS and labeled 5.2 capable ....

just my advice others might see it as different but cause ocuk have gotten into this business of delid and binning there is only there word that the cpu you get can truly hit the speeds they say until its in your system yourself, as they can factor stuff into it like cooling or motherboard or other factors to say it wont do this or that due to different hardware that was tested when they tested the chip you get.
the only way to truly get a cpu is to pay really high premiums on ocuk that do infact state the correct binning speeds or to buy prebuilt systems that they send out that are infact those speeds so that no other factors fall into the problems of not being able to hit them...

Associate
OP
Its all lucrative stuff these days with OCUK and there delids.
you never truly know what your getting now like the above link 4.9+ - 5.2 capable ? thats like saying here we will sell you this car thats stated in having a remap that does 350bhp but when you get the car it turns out it didnt have a remap and was only 300bhp. - did you pay for the 300bhp or the 350bhp lol

i would stick with what i said when it comes to buying cpus my advice would be to buy your OEM cpu or even retail for that matter as its pretty simple to get a intel security seal, from anywhere other than OCUK and delid it yourself that way there is no tampering/testing to see if the chip falls into the golden sample lineup of OCUKs mega build systems. or into a pile batch cpus and sent out the 4.9 cpus to customers with shiny IHS and labeled 5.2 capable ....

just my advice others might see it as different but cause ocuk have gotten into this business of delid and binning there is only there word that the cpu you get can truly hit the speeds they say until its in your system yourself, as they can factor stuff into it like cooling or motherboard or other factors to say it wont do this or that due to different hardware that was tested when they tested the chip you get.
the only way to truly get a cpu is to pay really high premiums on ocuk that do infact state the correct binning speeds or to buy prebuilt systems that they send out that are infact those speeds so that no other factors fall into the problems of not being able to hit them...

I see where you are coming from. Wise words, but I already went for it as I’m being extremely lazy and giving OcUK the benifit of the doubt. If they send me a 4.9 GHz and I paid 565 for it I will not be pleased that’s for sure. I will send it back for a refund.

Associate
OP
Quick update on this. My CPU FINALLY got sent out yesterday about 7 days after the order was placed... but today it never arrived. Instead apparently dpd delivered it to the wrong address!

I’ve called OcUK and dpd and I’m getting nowhere. All I’m told is that it might take 5 working days to sort out the issue!

All in all I would likely buy my own cpu and delid it. Would have had it last week and delid it it all within one day.

Now I’m stuck with no cpu and no idea when I’ll get it if I ever do!

Soldato
Real men use a block of wood and a hammer :D

If you want the real thrill of the delid experience nothing else compares.

Don't forget the cushion to catch it when it goes flying out the vice !

I used block of wood and a rubber hammer. Put cushion behind it just in case, took 3 wacks and both the heatspreader and CPU flew out of the device and the cushion caught them both. That was an earlier gen CPU though. Tempted to do a more scientific approach with my 8700k

Associate
Quick update on this. My CPU FINALLY got sent out yesterday about 7 days after the order was placed... but today it never arrived. Instead apparently dpd delivered it to the wrong address!

I’ve called OcUK and dpd and I’m getting nowhere. All I’m told is that it might take 5 working days to sort out the issue!

All in all I would likely buy my own cpu and delid it. Would have had it last week and delid it it all within one day.

Now I’m stuck with no cpu and no idea when I’ll get it if I ever do!

Ouch. You would think dpd would take more care. Thats a lot of cash for them to missplace.

I'm also waiting on a dpd delivery of computer parts that went missing (not from ocuk) and that was 10 days ago now.
I hope yours gets resolved quickly.

Associate

I used block of wood and a rubber hammer. Put cushion behind it just in case, took 3 wacks and both the heatspreader and CPU flew out of the device and the cushion caught them both. That was an earlier gen CPU though. Tempted to do a more scientific approach with my 8700k

Disolve the heatspreader in acid? :p

Soldato
Just done mine with a 3D Printed tool I bought off the bay. Very easy and stress free. Cleaned the black stuff off with a credit card, used TG liquid metal on die and heatspreader, used tiny tiny amount of super glue on two corners to hold it back on and used socket clamp to keep it in place and just had enough TG to use on the outer heatspreader and AIO watercooler. Just did a quick Intel Stress test for 20 mins and it maxed at 48c. At stock. Just need to work out the O/C values to use for the 8700k on my M/B. Not sure yet whether people are disabling total boost on all cores and running it at 5ghz all the time or letting it throttle back and forth. I used to run my 6700k at 4.5ghz all the time at 1.23v. Be interesting to see what this does especially as it was a b grade.

Associate
Just done mine with a 3D Printed tool I bought off the bay. Very easy and stress free. Cleaned the black stuff off with a credit card, used TG liquid metal on die and heatspreader, used tiny tiny amount of super glue on two corners to hold it back on and used socket clamp to keep it in place and just had enough TG to use on the outer heatspreader and AIO watercooler. Just did a quick Intel Stress test for 20 mins and it maxed at 48c. At stock. Just need to work out the O/C values to use for the 8700k on my M/B. Not sure yet whether people are disabling total boost on all cores and running it at 5ghz all the time or letting it throttle back and forth. I used to run my 6700k at 4.5ghz all the time at 1.23v. Be interesting to see what this does especially as it was a b grade.

B grade from OCUK?

Associate
Ah nice.

What exactly makes it a B grade?

I thought B grade CPUs were the ones they binned that didnt get to 5ghz or higher but I'm sure that I'm wrong about that now.

I bought a B grade GPU and its been fine so far.

Soldato
Yes it had been opened but no sign of any TIM looked brand new. Could be something simple as they were building a PC, thought it was an i7 8700 and opened an i7 8700k by mistake.
Need to do more stress testing but I think I might have hit the jackpot. At the moment its doing 5.1ghz on 1.3volts @60c and my fans on the radiator are only at 60% too. I had to laugh I tried the BIOS pre 8700k 5ghz profile and then tried Prime stress test and it crashed straight away! Followed der8auer youtube video loosely and its looking good so far.

Soldato

B grade is a good idea especially if you're delidding anyway as no warranty. As long as it works shouldnt be any issue.

Did my own tool for 7920x and 8700k. The 8700k was insanely easy to delid to the point where my tool has a 6mm hex bolt and it didnt even feel any resistance just popped straight off. 7920x on the other hand felt like it was soldered.

with your above post i think you have a great chip. Mine's stable at 5.2ghz 1.4v. But thats with prime95 fft max/min length 1344. Although i've still got more testing to do yet.

Back
Top Bottom