Anyone think the complexity is ruining games

Caporegime
As a strategy gamer I'd say it's quite the opposite, simplicity is ruining the genre. C&C, SupCom, SimCity spin offs, CIV5, AoE etc etc. I would have thought more complex strategy games would have still had a place, even if a minority. Seems the current climate doesn't allow it. I'd love to see a modern Sim Life!

Add MMOs to this list. The dumbing down of MMOs over the last few years has been brutal and relentless.

Associate
I think back when games were good were when they knew they could not make the most advanced graphics within the engines at the time. THEREFORE they had to make the game FUN and the gameplay as best as it could be!

If you take BF3 for example (I know it is still in BETA, many things may change) it feels like they have went for total realism and forgot the main element of why we fell in love with the legacy Battlefield games.

Valve and Nintendo are some of the few game publishers that still understand the fun element, as well as tieing in an excellent driven story with artwork that drives the game forward.

Permabanned
OP
well thats true so many developers are obsessed with physics, gfx, realism these days...so many tools at there disposle to make amazing worlds unlike back in the day.

Soldato
I think games are progressing nicely.

See I don't.

//rant

CS wouldn't have been made in today's market. Not because things have moved on and gamers are used to something better or more involved, but because it's not casual friendly - it's draw lays in investing time and working your way up the learning curve. The same was true of Quake, RTCW, and most of the best online pc fps. We don't get that these days. These days we get a playing field that's been levelled to stop a steep learning curve putting off your average gamer. It's now common for movement to be slow and for it to just take a few bullets to kill, making it nice and easy to track and kill targets. Ironsights, which slow the game down even more and which are far less precise than a regular dot crosshair, add to the randomness and level the playing field further. Add a few perks and things to unlock to give a sense of progression and an incentive to play (all while hiding the shallowness of the core gameplay) and job done. All of this is fine btw, except I love pc fps and have nothing to play. I've had nothing new to play since TF2 was released 4 years ago. There's nothing on the horizon either :mad:

Permabanned
OP
See I don't.

//rant

CS wouldn't have been made in today's market. Not because things have moved on and gamers are used to something better or more involved, but because it's not casual friendly - it's draw lays in investing time and working your way up the learning curve. The same was true of Quake, RTCW, and most of the best online pc fps. We don't get that these days. These days we get a playing field that's been levelled to stop a steep learning curve putting off your average gamer. It's now common for movement to be slow and for it to just take a few bullets to kill, making it nice and easy to track and kill targets. Ironsights, which slow the game down even more and which are far less precise than a regular dot crosshair, add to the randomness and level the playing field further. Add a few perks and things to unlock to give a sense of progression and an incentive to play (all while hiding the shallowness of the core gameplay) and job done. All of this is fine btw, except I love pc fps and have nothing to play. I've had nothing new to play since TF2 was released 4 years ago. There's nothing on the horizon either :mad:

a lot of that is true I meant gmaes are progressing well in many ways, gfx, phyiscs, etc...but perhaps core gameplay is as a result being neglected.

its like who sells more t-shirts C.Ronaldo or Frank ribery? Off course C.ronaldo but is he that much better than Ribery (well I guess he is quite abit lol) but my poin tis what sells is what looks good not just what is good.

Soldato
I don't want to derail the thread(if that is possible) but i just want to say that whilst i do know what you mean, David Beckham was still a great player as well, he is ripe for ridicule in a way and rightly so to some extent but it shouldn't detract from his ability and workrate which was excellent, he genuinely was one of the best players in the world on his day imo:)

/offtopic

Permabanned
OP
I don't want to derail the thread(if that is possible) but i just want to say that whilst i do know what you mean, David Beckham was still a great player as well, he is ripe for ridicule in a way and rightly so to some extent but it shouldn't detract from his ability and workrate which was excellent, he genuinely was one of the best players in the world on his day imo:)

/offtopic

i am not saying he wasnt but IMO rivaldo is a much better player on his day. Yet beckham was 100x more famous.

Off course you could say Messi vs Ronaldo? who is better? who is more famous?

Man of Honour
Modern FIFA games are actually very good IMO, they are pretty much what I wanted from football games when I was a kid - a much more natural and less contrived way about the way players move, ability to play throughballs etc.

I do feel in some cases though complexity can drag a bit, FM games as mentioned can be a bit overwhelming at first, I remember the last one I played (FM2010) I literally just started the new game, put a few bids in, sorted out tactics etc and then gave up because it wasn't driving me forward and getting me excited. Stuff like the training got a bit overcomplex, now don't get me wrong I think for a game like FM the beauty is in the detail, I wouldn't want to see them dumbing it down. But it can be a bit daunting the first time you start a new game.

Permabanned
Get better at dealing with complexity? It isn't hard, try playing starcraft 2 if you want difficulty... The only reason me and VoidPtr are 2v2 diamond is because we worked bloody hard and learned to play the game properly.

Adapt to beat any challenge, survive the challenge victorious.

Back
Top Bottom