Anyone worked in The Shard?

Associate
Boooooooooommmmmm

Love the chinese restaurant thats at the shard

I thought the chinese restaurant (Hutong) there was a bit meh.. better places around china town tbh. The other one i've not been to.. think the other one is a british/european cuisine (Oblix i think.. heard that ones good). Hotel is the Shangri La hotel.

Tower42 was where the gen X/boomer city workers used to take essex birds back in the day, it’s a bit lame now compared to the rest.

The Gherkin has a public bar at the bottom (round the back) but the top 3 floors are tenants/members only, very top floor is a bar under the big glass dome, it’s 20 years old now but still decent enough.

The Heron tower has two bars/restaurants at the top - one sushi place with outdoor root terrace and then a restaurant. These are open to public sometimes need to book ahead.

The Walkie Talkie, gardens/bar/restaurant etc.. on top this is also open to public, don’t even need to book the restaurant or anything as the garden is open to public.

Cheesegrater - though i think theres only one restaurant here.. a french one i think, and the rest being offices. i work on the 14th floor.

Relatively new one called the Scalpel close to us too

Soldato
I visit many sites for work and fairly recently I had to do a job for the Shangri La Hotel in the Shard. It was only in the basement at a comms room unfortunately. That said, I’m not a huge fan of heights and given that the rest of the hotel floors are quite high up, that’s probably a good thing :)

Soldato
I worked for a company there as a consultant for a few months. The best thing I can remember was that you got a discount card for restaurants and the observation deck, I think maybe it was 25% but I never ended up using it :cry:

I also remember that the blinds were controlled centrally by the building so they would go up and down automatically, you could control them manually but only if you paid an additional fee on top of the standard rent.

The views weren't bad too.

Soldato
The Duck and Waffle is next door and slightly higher up and looks down on the Shard, trendy restaurant that is 24/7 but you have to book, although it wasn’t silly expensive.

Man of Honour
Tower42 was where the gen X/boomer city workers used to take essex birds back in the day, it’s a bit lame now compared to the rest.

I actually kind of liked Rhodes 24 though in some ways not really my thing - City Social (which I assume has replaced it) looks quite nice though I can't say the food looks appealing to me (far too pretentious for the sake of being pretentious).

My main memory though is of the company I interviewed for in the building, didn't get the job, and couple of years later it was in the news with half the team I'd have been working with jailed for fraud.

Caporegime
Nope, we did consider moving there once tho… but really it’s in the wrong location.

Worked in some of the other prominent tall buildings tho… they’re big and tall, you get a nice view, you can easily bring friends to the posh bars/restaurants with minimal hassle as the staff/door staff will get to know you/can e-mail the manager at lunchtime from your work e-mail and get them to save you a table (would get special offers/discounts etc.. as fellow tenants too). In some buildings the bars/restaurants are open to the public in others some are for tenants and members only.

The Gherkin has a public bar at the bottom (round the back) but the top 3 floors are tenants/members only, very top floor is a bar under the big glass dome, it’s 20 years old now but still decent enough.

The Heron tower has two bars/restaurants at the top - one sushi place with outdoor root terrace and then a restaurant. These are open to public sometimes need to book ahead.

The Walkie Talkie, gardens/bar/restaurant etc.. on top this is also open to public, don’t even need to book the restaurant or anything as the garden is open to public.

Issue can be these things are built for show, exterior looks nice, interior can be annoying when you’re in direct sunlight and trying to view monitor.

Tower 42 = former Natwest tower. If you look at it from above, it's the Natwest logo. It's one of our clients, and the place is really showing its age.

If you're having glare problems in these buildings then you need to speak to the building manager, they've all got anti-glare film on the glass which is pretty much invisible but will stop most sunlight coming through. If you don't have this, then odds are the window was replaced at some point and the film wasn't installed.

Back
Top Bottom