AnySharp Knife Sharpener

Soldato
Anyone use one of these? I've got some blunt kitchen knives I'd like to get some more life out of (cheap knives, none of them cost more than a tenner) . Can anyone recommend a better sharpener for the money (the sharpener costs about £10)?

AnySharp Knife Sharpeners

Soldato
First off, it says it sharpens serrated knives and iirc you're never supposed to sharpen serrated knives as you'll loose the serrated part of the blade. I've been using a minosharp, it's reccomended for globals and japanese knives as supposedly they have a different angle on the blade but it can be used on any make of knives, I've got a few different makes of knives I use it with and it gives fantastic results because it uses ceramic wheels instead of metal for sharpening.
For £10 it doesn't look bad, but i'd rather get spend an extra £10-15 and get a minosharp or decent sharpening steel.

Soldato
OP
First off, it says it sharpens serrated knives and iirc you're never supposed to sharpen serrated knives as you'll loose the serrated part of the blade.
That caught my eye too but on a major OcUK competitor this sharpener gets some very good reviews (212 five star votes out of a total of 272 votes).

Soldato
I'd never heard before that you shouldn't sharpen serrated edges. Surely they get dull like any other edge. I use a Sharpmaker and find it's excellent and use to sharpen serrated edges as well with great results.

Spyderco Sharpmaker

A steel is ok for it but I wouldn't use a sharpener myself, as it's hard to tell if the teeth that are being sharpened enough or too much.

Soldato
I bought an AnySharp a few weeks back when it was on HotUKDeals.
I gave it a whirl on some knives I had that were quality knives but 10 years old and had a stay sharp type coating, they were now blunt.
The sharpener worked a treat and brought them back up really sharp, it removed loads of metal though so I wouldn't want to use it very often, also the blade wasn't pretty afterwards.
I wouldn't want to use it on an expensive set of knives but it's an effective crude way of sharpening.

Caporegime
I grabbed one in asda for £6 since my knifes were struggling with the skin of tomatoes..

worked brilliant my knives are only cheap wilkinsons branded ones though, wilkinson pro or something.
I tested rubbing the knife across my finger tip without any pressure and managed to cut the skin just a few layers not enough to draw blood luckily :D wasn't expecting it to work so well

also sharpened my pizza cutter :D just rested the wheel in position and span it by hand for a minute without any added pressure and it works brilliant once again.

Associate
I don't know why people buy these sorts of sharpeners tbh. A proper sharpening steel daily and a whetstone every 6 months should be enough to keep decent knives sharp.
Agree.

I bought one years ago and it did seem to work, partly because the knives were so blunt!
We were given a sharpening steel a while back and it is so much better.

Caporegime
People seem to think that steels are difficult to use, they're really not.

but why go to the effort when you can just run a knife blade across an any sharp a few times and it's razor sharp after?
Normal people with no interest in sharpening knives ain't got time for steels

Back
Top Bottom