1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AOC Q3279VWF - FreeSync,VA,qHD 31.5 inch monitor for £249! (ONLY £199 AT OcUK FOR BLACK FRIDAY)!!

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by CAT-THE-FIFTH, Oct 27, 2017.

1. hornetstinger

Soldato

mentioning competitors is against forum rules

2. H2ypr

Associate

In that case my apologies. Shall I edit my post?

3. ToonarmY87

Gangster

I changed my order from one of the mentioned competitors to Overclockers based on gibbos comments. The difference of 10 quid more from Oc if i can get it in time for Xmas doesn't bother me

4. Nezzer1

Associate

likewise here lets hope this gets delivered soon

5. Sennhoven

Associate

done some searching around for reviews of this monitor. The closest I could find was AOC Q3279VWF8 which was available in Asia and Australia in early 2017. The reviews for that model are a bit mixed with people complaining of ghosting etc.

On the AOCmonitorap website it seems like both the Q3279VWF8 and the one on sale here (Q3279VWF) are different models but I am wondering whether or not this is the same model with some slight improvements or fixes for UK release? The one person on youtube who seems to have reviewed the Q3279VWF didn't really mention issues of ghosting so maybe AOC has put in some improvements? TBH, I am still keeping my pre order, as ghosting sounds like something I could live with when the monitor has other decent spec.

6. alexp999

Gangster

I suppose seeing ghosting will depend on what you are used to.

If you are coming from a TN panel, the VA panels are slower to respond, but the modern ones are as good as IPS nowadays.

The biggest thing for me is contrast. All the top end LCD TVs use VA panels due to their superior contrast. IPS and TN is typically 1000:1, VA is more like 3000:1.

Old VA panels did have considerable ghosting but I've not seen it on the modern ones.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
  7. chithanh

Associate

8. Davedree

Mobster

I'm sure the ghosting can be managed by the overdrive setting on the monitor, I'm more concerned about the TN like behaviour with screen contrast/washout that the YouTube reviewer mentioned. Although I did ask him a few things in a message and he's a right ******, thinks he knows everything and failed to answer my questions.

9. alexp999

Gangster

Colour shift on VA isn't as bad as on TN in my experience.

I'm happy to be a guinea pig and report back here once I get it. :)

10. kaiserc

Gangster

This Monitor is sounding better
    Would 30-75 freesync range make LFC work? Or is that some that has to be built into the monitor?

11. chithanh

Associate

Yes. LFC only requires that 2*low < high limit (AMD's earlier implementation required 2.5 times).
    So 37-75 Hz would enable LFC already, which is important as there is usually a couple frames variation in CRU achievable range between individual units.

For example with the HP OMEN 32 (officially 48-75 Hz), most reports that Google finds are around 30 Hz low limit and 79 Hz high limit, with one user reporting 28 Hz and another 32 Hz as low limit.

12. kaiserc

Gangster

That's great news
    So basically
    Use CRU 1.31
    Add freesync range of 30-75.
    Save and Restart.
    Done
    Test!

I never had a freesync or G-sync monitor before, although I did have the freesync hack working on my current monitor at the start of the year. Every drive since then basically stopped it working.

Looking forward to the higher resolution & freesync.

13. Jamie23

Gangster

Hi guys, in the market for a new monitor coming from a 24inch LG. Saw this deal and loved the screen real estate it would give me. Mainly being used for software development, general browsing and then maybe the odd game of tf2 or something.

I'd be powering this with either a macbook pro (i7,16gb,iris pro) for work, or surfacebook for anything personal. I'm not too into the hardware world so would these machines struggle with a monitor this large if it did come to light gaming (I'm not really into massive triple A games atm, just the odd tf2 game for an hour or so).

If there is a better place for this type of post, do let me know.

Thanks.

14. EViLHomer48

Associate

Any chance this is in tomorrow, I am close enough to the store to collect but if its not in tomorrow its then the 9th :(

15. ToonarmY87

Gangster

How does this monitor compare to this. 32inch 144hz £207

ElectriQ 32" Full HD IPS Freesync 144Hz Gaming Monitor

16. chithanh

Associate

From a quick glance at specs, the most important differences are:

31.5" QHD (93 dpi) vs. 32" FHD (69 dpi)
    75 Hz vs. 144 Hz
    VA vs. IPS
    No VESA mount vs. VESA mount

I guess the ElectriQ would be a good monitor for console gaming or as a public display? Using it on your desk for work would be sort of suboptimal unless you have really bad eyesight.

17. hornetstinger

Soldato

Wf8 has some gaming features like black enhancer afaik

18. PCM2

Soldato

So does the VWF, and it is an awful feature. Very poorly implemented so if that is set to anything but the default (i.e. off) then it just destroys the image completely. ;)

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  19. Nezzer1

Associate

Any more news as to when the monitor will be in stock as we are in early December now, thanks

20. Sennhoven

Associate

@Gibbo Hi Gibbo, has there been any update from AOC on expected delivery seeing as we are now in "early Christmas" :) Thanks