AOC U2868PQU 4K unusable flickering

Associate
OP
If you care to read the first post you would know what I was using the included DP 1.2 cable and that 60hz 4k does work 100% but with massive flickering and that is the problem and is why I will probably send back.

Soldato
no instuls!

@OP, you can

1. RMA it but I am sure if OCUK see that it is fine with any other card and cable, you may have it sent back

2. DSR it if within the 14 days

3. Wait it out for an AMD driver update, as I strongly feel this is the problem

Good luck

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Is RMA the wrong thing as I didn't see any option to write to them about DSR??
If it is my card then there is nothing I can do as I got it last year and probably can't RMA etc.
If driver updates fixed it I would be surprised as it happens when no drivers are loaded and 3840x2160 60hz is output in boot screens etc.
I reckon that this is a problem caused by an incompatibility between the AOC U2868PQU and my R9 290 who is responsible I don't know but as it is said that it works on Nvidia it is probably AMDs problem. I am not going to wait for drivers as if they don't ever fix it then I will not be able to DSR and will have to buy a Nvidia card to fully use this monitor and I'm not willing to do that.

Associate
OP
Custom resolutions are only possible in nvidia control panel not on amd ccc

I have decided not to go ahead with return as after looking into it further the issue is caused by the way that the r9 290 outputs over DP, if AMD can fix it I would be surprised as it appears to be caused by the signal coming from the display-port cable being to weak and dropping out it also affects all the other 4k monitors like the asus and samsung. i am going to buy a very short DP cable as this is said to fix the problem?

Soldato
Custom resolutions are only possible in nvidia control panel not on amd ccc

I have decided not to go ahead with return as after looking into it further the issue is caused by the way that the r9 290 outputs over DP, if AMD can fix it I would be surprised as it appears to be caused by the signal coming from the display-port cable being to weak and dropping out it also affects all the other 4k monitors like the asus and samsung. i am going to buy a very short DP cable as this is said to fix the problem?

Not true my young friend.

http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU

It works. I tested it with my 2 x 290s on 2560x1440

Random though you could try and make a Custom resolution, but at 59mhz

You mean 59Hz? Otherwise that'd be an awful response rate haha

Associate
OP
I have done more research and problem is that the DP signal on AMD cards is too weak if crappy cables (like the one included) are used and this causes the signal to drop out. Nvidia does not have this problem because DP 1.2 tech works properly in their cards. Some on other forums report that buying decent cables with less signal loss or shorter cables fixes the problem. That's what I am trying next. Custom resolutions are a non-fix anyway as if its less than 60hz it's not working properly and I doubt the monitor would except random resolutions anyway.

Associate
I have done more research and problem is that the DP signal on AMD cards is too weak if crappy cables (like the one included) are used and this causes the signal to drop out. Nvidia does not have this problem because DP 1.2 tech works properly in their cards. Some on other forums report that buying decent cables with less signal loss or shorter cables fixes the problem. That's what I am trying next. Custom resolutions are a non-fix anyway as if its less than 60hz it's not working properly and I doubt the monitor would except random resolutions anyway.

The OEMs surely would have discovered this in testing, if true. Entirely their fault for including high loss cables.

Soldato
I have done more research and problem is that the DP signal on AMD cards is too weak if crappy cables (like the one included) are used and this causes the signal to drop out.

Have you got a link for that? Because the 295x2 cards were tested at 4K, albeit with one of the split panels i.e. DP in MST mode, without issue.

Associate
OP
I guess MST mode is different but from what I have read (no absolute link) people have had the exact same setup and cable and had problems with r9 290 and not with Nvidia.
I have seen a post saying that the 295X2 did not have any problems and in the same topic people posting problems with r9 290/r9 290X.

I don't believe this: https://twitter.com/Thracks/status/478145362415194112

Last edited:
Associate
AMD admitted nothing, it was brought to their attention and are looking to fix. That right there is a shoddy driver that AMD messed up on. No-one else did.

Hello, I have posted a similar thread here and elsewhere, welcome onboard .. In the U.S at Overclock.net you can find people with the exact same problem.

I have even tweeted to some ppl at AMD and exchanged email with 1 guy from the Drivers Department.
AMD did not admit anything , instead of it they have tried to blame the AOC brand , then , when ppl with Samsung and ASUS monitors started to have the same troubles, they "started" to investigate.

But "it will take time " and in the meantime spin doctors from AMD will try to chase the issue away, because we are not many for the time being / I mean us owners od the 4K monitors /.

;);) stay tuned ;);)

https://twitter.com/Thracks/status/478145362415194112

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom