Aorus/Gigabyte X570 - Buildzoid Ripple tests with AORUS & ASUS

Soldato
>snip<

TLDR: This ITX board should not be used with "Auto" selected for vTT as this value should be fairly strictly tied down to 1/2 vDDR. Auto will only be useful to get you started and will severely limit your memory oc and stability. If you have a particularly bad case of voltage drift or sensitive modules to vTT you may have issues posting even at 1.35v/XMP. I hesitate to call this a design fault, but its pretty close.
Great summary - should help members a lot with have similar problems until a fix appears.

@tamzzy - have you noticed anything similar on your x570i? I know you had that one dodgy stick but did you tweak your voltages to clock your sticks to 3600MHz etc- i.e. did you test/monitor at auto?

Associate
Great summary - should help members a lot with have similar problems until a fix appears.

@tamzzy - have you noticed anything similar on your x570i? I know you had that one dodgy stick but did you tweak your voltages to clock your sticks to 3600MHz etc- i.e. did you test/monitor at auto?

I'm going to have a chat with my HQ about this, glad they came back to you and sorry it took so long, like you say I presume it was testing related.

Man of Honour
@MrPils @Plec yes I have the vddr overvoltage on my aorus x570i as well. Overvolts by 0.03v. using 2*16gb sticks. Not played with ram overclocking except to run it at 3733 at xmp latencies at 1.4v reported (1.37v set)

Soldato
I'm going to have a chat with my HQ about this, glad they came back to you and sorry it took so long, like you say I presume it was testing related.
@GIGA-Man - you quoted my response rather than @MrPils summary (not a problem). I only mention it as you may want continuity within the thread to help collate your feedback when reviewing info for replies or passing on info to HQ etc...

*Totally understand how confusing keeping track of posts/threads/request must get...

Associate
@GIGA-Man - you quoted my response rather than @MrPils summary (not a problem). I only mention it as you may want continuity within the thread to help collate your feedback when reviewing info for replies or passing on info to HQ etc...

*Totally understand how confusing keeping track of posts/threads/request must get...

Agreed, my bad. Stupid busy at the moment and did it by mistake.

Soldato
Agreed, my bad. Stupid busy at the moment and did it by mistake.
As mentioned, totally understandable given your obvious commitment in keeping forum members up to date.

Bet you can't wait for the release of the B550's and it all starts again :D

Associate
This positive drift on the vDDR output is causing a vTT issue as you increase vDDR. The formula for Auto vTT in bios is using 1/2 REQUESTED value, as a result it is setting vTT too low. Depending on the amount of positive drift and the memory in use this has varying negative effects on stability. You can confirm this effect by loading optimised defaults in bios, manually setting vDDR to 1.45v and touching nothing else - result is a no post until you manually configure vTT to 1/2 REPORTED value instead of Auto.
Fantastic insights, thanks for sharing.

Man of Honour
I bet your system has been gasping for that ~gram of MX4 these past couple of days
Probably. But it has been rock stable for me, despite the voltage issues. Not that it has stopped me from overclocking the ram pretty painlessly. (Note: might be the luck of the draw) Load temps whilst gaming is 75-78c. So I'm pretty happy with my purchase decision so far...

Soldato
So I'm pretty happy with my purchase decision so far...
Can't see you getting disillusioned anytime soon considering the recent weather - especially as your temps should drop with re-applied TIM and Autumn knocking on the door.

These tiny micro cases: ignoring the 'mandatory' glass panel, clever use of GPU risers and favouring sleek compact designs with decoratively designed vents have really challenged the larger case ethos. I'm amazed at the lack of Micro-ATX boards released(?) - full ATX is still the most popular platform despite the majority of average users using 1, possibly 2 slots (i suppose it gives options in the future if people hold onto systems).

As mentioned, your build has made me look hard at our 'hardly used entertainment systems' in the sitting room - but it would be an expensive toy. Justifiable, if i sold Xbox one X and Switch thingy - i don't use them - but sure kids could be talked round once they had all their games loaded on Steam (ignoring Nintendo games issue - but that's pants anyway.).

May be a hard sell to the wife - but then again she hates clutter...

Last edited:
Associate
B-Die is pretty resilient to vTT being wrong, I was surprised how resilient. It has some really weird effects though, several times it would complete HCI memtest 16 threads at full memory capacity to 1000% or more, then no post and clear cmos on reboot. Having now set vTT correctly for my modules im at exactly the same timings and voltage (but slightly higher mhz due to a sneaky 101bclk) compared to my MSI B450i running the other 2 sticks of this quad set. Previously I had to run looser primaries and higher voltage to pass HCI memtest. I also had odd audio crackling and the odd pop up about USB errors when running 36x or higher memory multi in addition to random no post/cmos clear on restart or power on. This has all now gone away.
My 4GB sticks are AFR, but I get minimal overvoltage with 4gb dimms so no effect on those.
My 8GB sticks are early Micron and max out around 3000mhz. These are the worse affected and will even do a rare random no post and cmos clear at 1.25vDDR requested. Very sensitive modules.

The bios does report slightly higher than if measured from the back of the socket, however vDDR goes up by about the same amount under heavy load so using 1/2 reported is very close. I dropped it by one "notch" of 5mv? I think and that is perfect for my sticks under load. I only need to get it perfect running 3800mhz, 3733mhz is happy enough at 1/2 reported.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
@Plec

finally, this is for you!! NO FAN!

might have to wait and see how dollar to pound works out though, seems pricing here is more then US counterpart . fingers crossed.
Master isn't to much higher and ITX

but damn, Gigabyte UD comes in at $160 or £130... thing would sell like hot cakes at that price !!!!!!!!!!!

90afea76-5280-48ef-8e45-49227982c58f.jpg

https://hexus.net/tech/reviews/mainboard/133952-x570-aorus-xtreme-motherboard/

Last edited:
Associate
I've had another reply from Gigabyte support. Seems to be a different person this time, and we've gone full circle and come back to them saying the 30mv overvoltage they see in bios on their board is a reading error and expected. Im now asking the same question again that I asked over 3 weeks ago, is my board faulty? I'm now stable with manual vTT obviously, but back to wondering if the 50+mv overvoltage I get indicates a supply problem that puts my memory at risk of damage over long term use. This is 2 sticks of 4 from a £1000 Corsair kit I bought 4 years ago on Amazon, so I have no Corsair lifetime warranty and they're out of Amazon warranty.

I'd love to know if anyone with this board has the same overvoltage as me with 16GB sticks (50mv+) or whether they always only see the "expected" 30mv reporting error in bios regardless of memory density. It would be good to know if matching vTT to reported value with B-Die helps anyone else too. Is it just my board and I've been led a merry dance by support for the last 3 weeks?

I'm going to swap the PSU out later as I've seen people on overclock.net reporting that a PSU swap has sorted out their random issues. Grasping at straws as its a known good EVGA 850w G+, the rails look fine in PC Health and all problems go away with Manual vTT. The review I posted for the board to claim the steam voucher is probably a load of crap now too. Frustrating is not the word, should've sent it back for a refund last Friday when I had the chance.

Associate
Everyone on Aorus boards have this overvoltage the more density sticks have more of it.. 16 gb has most, 8gb a bit less and 4gb sticks almost doesnt have overvoltage. I DOUBT gigabyte is going to sort this out.

Associate
Yes I have seen that behavior myself, read it in various forum threads around the internet and accepted it as simply how Gigabyte boards work. However, apparently I was wrong. This is a direct quote from my Gigabyte support ticket:
"Hello,
We have tested with 2 X 8GB, 2 X 16GB, 2 X 32GB BIOS. The VDDR is set to 1.35V and the display is 1.38V. The actual voltage measured by the meter is 1.35V. There is no issue that the VDD voltage is too high, as shown in the attached pictures."
The pictures they attached are bios screenshots showing 2x8gb, 2x16gb and 2x32gb installed all giving exactly the same reported vDDR (a reading of 30mv over set voltage which is actually exactly equal to set voltage).

There are various comments across hardware forums with the exact same results I get (and not just limited to the ITX board I own), so I know the behavior I'm seeing with my board is not a one off. What I don't know is if its manufacturing variance, a fault or whether its compatibility with something in my component selection. Literally the only pieces of hardware I haven't swapped over between my MSI system and this are the power supplies, so if its not that then its not my component selection. There must be a reason for this, there cant be this many "faulty" boards floating around that don't behave the same as Gigabytes own test boards.

Soldato
OP
@MrPils - ive ran my xtreme 4000hz ram kit at over 1.5v for standard use . bit of a pain if something isn't being displayed 100% but if your ram isn't running 1.7v 24/7 then not to much worry with its life span

if meter is reading correct then its a piece of mind . 50% of owners just slap in RAM and Enable XMP and never measure a thing . Extreme overclocking I can see miss info would be a bit of a pain

Associate
This is a direct quote from my Gigabyte support ticket:
"Hello,
We have tested with 2 X 8GB, 2 X 16GB, 2 X 32GB BIOS. The VDDR is set to 1.35V and the display is 1.38V. The actual voltage measured by the meter is 1.35V. There is no issue that the VDD voltage is too high, as shown in the attached pictures."
The pictures they attached are bios screenshots showing 2x8gb, 2x16gb and 2x32gb installed all giving exactly the same reported vDDR (a reading of 30mv over set voltage which is actually exactly equal to set voltage).
So Gigabyte have confirmed their X570 ITX motherboards are reporting DRAM voltages that are approx 0.03V more than actual?

Associate
Yes they say that it is a display error only, it always displays 30mv over, but when measured by a mutimeter should match exactly what you have set in bios. Auto VTT should therefore work fine.

My board does not behave like this. I get 50mv over in bios and up to 70mv over in windows under heavy load according to software reported voltage. I get around 15mv to 20mv less when measured with a multimeter using the 24pin as ground.

Associate
@MrPils - ive ran my xtreme 4000hz ram kit at over 1.5v for standard use . bit of a pain if something isn't being displayed 100% but if your ram isn't running 1.7v 24/7 then not to much worry with its life span

if meter is reading correct then its a piece of mind . 50% of owners just slap in RAM and Enable XMP and never measure a thing . Extreme overclocking I can see miss info would be a bit of a pain
100% correct, but I'm not worried about the voltage being high, i'm worried about power delivery being clean. Both the multimeter and software readouts point in time average, you need an oscilloscope to see any ripple. In my experience faulty power circuits have ripple, and ripple kills hardware when running hard. This is really my only concern, I'm happy that I've found a workaround for the bad memory overclocking I was getting and my gut feeling is that its fine as I would expect it to clock badly if there was ripple. If support tell me they think its fine as well I'm happy to roll with that and take their word, but if they tell me its fine and my memory dies later you can be damn sure I'll hold them accountable for it.

This doesn't help understand why its happening of course or why support cant replicate what a proportion of their users are seeing.

Last edited:
Associate
Yes they say that it is a display error only, it always displays 30mv over, but when measured by a mutimeter should match exactly what you have set in bios. Auto VTT should therefore work fine.

My board does not behave like this. I get 50mv over in bios and up to 70mv over in windows under heavy load according to software reported voltage. I get around 15mv to 20mv less when measured with a multimeter using the 24pin as ground.
Thanks.

My reported DRAM voltage is, depending on load, in the region of 0.04V to 0.06V higher than the value I set in BIOS.

Back
Top Bottom