Aorus/Gigabyte X570 - Buildzoid Ripple tests with AORUS & ASUS

Soldato
Pushing video work , professional then would push Aorus, more so for connectivity
AVX workloads are what those flagship are for and running workloads 24/7 .

I'd always look towards professional boards rather than consumer versions regardless of brands for use with professional workloads. Fair enough if it is a home PC, that you use for a bit of creativity work, or a PC you build for an educational course etc. but the extra 'features' usually do more harm than good when it comes to stability and compatibility.

Looking forward to seeing how 16 core Ryzen works with Geomapping along with nvme PCIe 4.0
I've used/designed systems based on X99/299/TR4 for use with Photogrammetry and Geomapping, specifically for use with the ability to run many NVMe SSD's at a time and HCC CPU's, the release of 4.0 is nice, and once Samsung bring their new controller out with the 128-layer 3D NAND in tow next quarter, we should see some proper PCI-E 4.0 speeds of 6500 MB/s on a 4x M.2 slot.

Soldato
OP
@Journey, you've just reminded me to get in touch with samsung about pcie 4.0 nvme drives .

funny, seen a few comments on videos, news sites and threads saying AMD should have demo'd NVMe on pcie 4.0 by its self of raid .

guessing Gigabyte would have done the same but NDA isnt allowing the system to run at all .

Soldato
OP
@Plec
Seems kit guru got breakdown of VRM

lF1vtNu.jpg

Bare in mind, you've got to take away 2 VRM for SoC, for its 14+2, 12+2, (7*2)+2 and I believe the ITX is 8+1 . 1 SoC VRM is top right and ram is next to it at the bottom

This time around ultra and pro using IR units , most likely IR3553 and Master uses IR 3556. Z390 elite to Ultra all used 12 DrMOS 50a units

Soldato
Its true that Gigabyte do make very nice boards, they did also with the X470 range, its just a shame their bioses suck eggs, big time too, I had the worst experience with the flagship Gigabyte X470 board and I tried the flagship from every top manufacturer, ASUS, ASRock, Gigabyte and MSI, I settled in the end for the MSI X470 Gaming M7 AC and will be buying MSI again this time where X570 is concerned.

Soldato
OP
Its true that Gigabyte do make very nice boards, they did also with the X470 range, its just a shame their bioses suck eggs, big time too, I had the worst experience with the flagship Gigabyte X470 board and I tried the flagship from every top manufacturer, ASUS, ASRock, Gigabyte and MSI, I settled in the end for the MSI X470 Gaming M7 AC and will be buying MSI again this time where X570 is concerned.

why would you need to change from X470 M7? VRMS are naff compared to Aorus 7 but still should be able to handle ryzen 12 cores enough with 12 phase design:)

save yourself some cash!

Soldato
why would you need to change from X470 M7? VRMS are naff compared to Aorus 7 but still should be able to handle ryzen 12 cores enough with 12 phase design:)

save yourself some cash!

If the X570 boards turn out to be quite pricey, what existing motherboards would you recommend for someone looking at buying a zen2 8c/16t chip for gaming and whatever overclock is achievable? I'm not really fussed about anything else the boards have to offer.

Soldato
If the X570 boards turn out to be quite pricey, what existing motherboards would you recommend for someone looking at buying a zen2 8c/16t chip for gaming and whatever overclock is achievable? I'm not really fussed about anything else the boards have to offer.
If you don't need the x470 features the Asus ROG Strix B450-E - probably has the best VRMs in the B450 range next to the MSI Carbon. Approx ~£140. It slipped in relatively unnoticed last year and isn't widely available in UK - but easily sourced if Googled.

SBRjSGk.jpg

Soldato
@Plec mentioned, That strix had 10( 5x2)+2 phase set up and would easily handle ryzen 3***... think is though, for same or cheaper price, X570 Gaming X with better features and phases is roughly £10-15 cheaper, @matt1

Ah good to know. I thought one of the x570 boards may offer reasonable value for money but there is a lot of negative rumour about high prices. Thanks for your advice.

Is the X570 Gaming X board one that will be offered by multiple manufacturers? I'm way behind the curve, running a 3770k and I've been exclusively reading about the new CPUs up to now.

Last edited:
Soldato
@Plec mentioned, That strix had 10( 5x2)+2 phase set up and would easily handle ryzen 3***... think is though, for same or cheaper price, X570 Gaming X with better features and phases is roughly £10-15 cheaper, @matt1
Which, Gigabyte are you going for, Orbi?

I'm a but underwhelmed with the designs - i.e. Elite/Pro (Xtreme obviously looks the part) - but then mine will be hidden from view.

Soldato
Nice to be taken more seriously this time around.
So why there are those retarded IO-covers sabotaging VRM cooling?

It's not really the fan I'm criticising (although I'd prefer a passive design, it costs more). I'm taking issue with the incredibly restrictive cover they have fitted over the top of it on the master board. Seems very much as if they've prioritised how the board looks over how it functions. The fans in the cheaper boards will be quieter and probably perform better because they don't have metal slats impeding the airflow.
Design by assthetics and marketroids, who shouldn't be allowed to captain even citizenship...
For those who would neither qualify for handling it, if it required passing logical thinking ability test.

And of course we all get to pay retarded pricing for all that sabotaging of functionality.

Soldato
OP
Which, Gigabyte are you going for, Orbi?

I'm a but underwhelmed with the designs - i.e. Elite/Pro (Xtreme obviously looks the part) - but then mine will be hidden from view.

Ultra, need the wifi (Though might just keep the Aorus 7 - eye on Intels 10 core goodness, but will cry at the pricing) - though ITX is tempting ! Elite looks better then Pro visually but VRM and heatsink design is better in the Pro .

though still tempted to grab z390 master and 9700k ....

that or give one last mod before retreating to no sleep. wanted to do dual ITX and ATX in Lian Li dynamic Case, new ROG dynamic will allow me to pull it off better

Soldato
Ultra, need the wifi (Though might just keep the Aorus 7 - eye on Intels 10 core goodness, but will cry at the pricing) - though ITX is tempting ! Elite looks better then Pro visually but VRM and heatsink design is better in the Pro .
Yes, the Pro looks like it was designed as an afterthought - but could well be my board :/

though still tempted to grab z390 master and 9700k ....
Great - will enjoy taking the pee, for the duration of ownership due to timing of purchase - plus @EsaT's evaluation :D

Can't wait for Zen 2 or just want to play with 9700?

(my posts aren't uploading properly today - you having props?)

Last edited:
Soldato
If you don't need the x470 features the Asus ROG Strix B450-E - probably has the best VRMs in the B450 range next to the MSI Carbon. Approx ~£140. It slipped in relatively unnoticed last year and isn't widely available in UK - but easily sourced if Googled.

SBRjSGk.jpg

Cheers. Looks like a well received board, sorry I read your and orbitalwalsh posts together assuming both were from him (on my phone).

@orbitalwalsh
Is the X570 Gaming X from a particular manufacturer or will there be a few variations?

Soldato
OP
Cheers. Looks like a well received board, sorry I read your and orbitalwalsh posts together assuming both were from him (on my phone).

@orbitalwalsh
Is the X570 Gaming X from a particular manufacturer or will there be a few variations?

Gaming X is Gigabyte , Aorus is Sub brand of Gigabyte .

Like how Asus made ROG - Republic of Gamers and then Strix, which just outsold and was more popular then ROG.

No worries @matt1 - plus @orbitalwalsh has his finger on the 'silicone pulse' with leaks/prices with the x570s so would follow his lead.

Could be wrong , hard when everything is bought in dollars, and then 2 months before hand . Spire, Asus distributor for UK hasn't seen them yet (pricing ) , nor in their warehouse yet .
So why there are those retarded IO-covers sabotaging VRM cooling?

Design by assthetics and marketroids, who shouldn't be allowed to captain even citizenship...
For those who would neither qualify for handling it, if it required passing logical thinking ability test.

And of course we all get to pay retarded pricing for all that sabotaging of functionality.

Still putting on 1.5mm thick thermal pads :(
Other vendors using thermal pads that are half the conductive rates :(
Least Asus have finally learnt with laptops using liquid metal

Soldato
With so many phases/power stages, so long as the contact with the heatsink is good with just some airflow, the size of the heatsink can be minimal really. But yeah, regardless I would never like to see aesthetics get in the way of functionality, especially cooling.

Back
Top Bottom