Aorus Owner's Lounge

Soldato
Did you go on a plane on your holiday? or did you travel by other means?

The battery could have swolen during a flight and stretched the cable enough to pull it out of the socket, i have disassembled aorus laptops before and the battery cable is really really short.

The power bricks also sometimes seem to stop working even though they have a light until you unplug and re plug the clover cable into the brick. I had a few issues with this in the past that are in this very thread where my laptop seemed to be completely dead.

Associate
nope its not replugging the clover cable and we drove here. I have popped the back off and the battery is firmly attached. does it need that battery to work even if its on main power? I have a spare battery at home as I replaced it to see if it would improve the laptop life when not on mains ( it didn't... this is very much a mains powered mobile workstation.. )

Associate
Ok sitrep for anyone finding themselves in this sitution.

So I took the back off again and removed the battery completely, then, with the back still off I plugged in the mains power and turned it on. Rejoice! the laptop lives. Better than this though on reconnecting the battery, the laptop still lives and claims to be charging the battery again.

So there you go. I suspect that my briefcase might have taken a knock in the travelling but we are back in the game :)

Associate

So I took the back off again and removed the battery completely, then, with the back still off I plugged in the mains power and turned it on. Rejoice! the laptop lives. Better than this though on reconnecting the battery, the laptop still lives and claims to be charging the battery again.

So there you go. I suspect that my briefcase might have taken a knock in the travelling but we are back in the game :)

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep

Hi @irtuk - read your post yesterday, asked advice from HQ, but seems that everything is now OK, great news.

Safe trip and enjoy.

Regards,

Team AORUS

Soldato
Im looking at possibly getting the Aorus X5 V7 with the 7820HK and GTX1070 for cheap.

15" model, is cooling as much improved as it is on my GE72 MVR when re-pasting with grizzly paste? Will the cooling be as good as my GE72 MVR, and also will the 200W PSU that comes with it limit the laptop, should I consider getting a larger PSU like a 250W assuming this is possible?

Soldato
Im looking at possibly getting the Aorus X5 V7 with the 7820HK and GTX1070 for cheap.

15" model, is cooling as much improved as it is on my GE72 MVR when re-pasting with grizzly paste? Will the cooling be as good as my GE72 MVR, and also will the 200W PSU that comes with it limit the laptop, should I consider getting a larger PSU like a 250W assuming this is possible?

I used liquid metal paste on my x5v6, to the gpu it made no noticeable difference, with the cpu it was cooler to the point it no longer thermally throttled. However this was a while ago so I cant really give you an accurate idea on numbers, they will be in this thread somewhere though most likely.

Associate

Larger PSU should be unnecessary, the X5V7 will give around 16K firestrike score with 200W PSU.

Get one, they're great.

Soldato
Found one going for 850 which I've took a punt on.

There is problems with the keyboard, num pad some keys don't work and backspace / delete keys, all else reported working no other issues and looks immaculate. I can work around this by re-assigning keys, this isn't a biggy for me as mad as that sounds, however if possible I'd want to change the keyboard for a working one at some point to help resale value.

I know it's a right punt but blimey £850, my laptop can still go for 1000.

Last edited:
Associate
Found one going for 850 which I've took a punt on.

There is problems with the keyboard, num pad some keys don't work and backspace / delete keys, all else reported working no other issues and looks immaculate. I can work around this by re-assigning keys, this isn't a biggy for me as mad as that sounds, however if possible I'd want to change the keyboard for a working one at some point to help resale value.

I know it's a right punt but blimey £850, my laptop can still go for 1000.

If it's the same kb as the X5V6 its a easy swap out. They go for around £90. MendIT will be able to stock you one.

Soldato
If it's the same kb as the X5V6 its a easy swap out. They go for around £90. MendIT will be able to stock you one.

Nice one will check it out. This might be a good side/upgrade for me in the end, still need a spare part for my MSI laptop as the adaptor for the HDD to mobo is slack and keeps disconnecting and feel this will effect resale value but once a new adaptor in should get more for this MSI than I paid for the Aorus.

Associate
Hi @Mahjii - Sorry to hear of your problem. We are checking with HQ (closed until Monday), and copy our service partner on the communication to see if the PSU is available to purchase and what cost to you.

We will post again when we have reply, early part of next week, hopefully Monday.

Regards,

Team AORUS

Hi @Atom80,

Any luck finding out if there is a place to purchase a new 255w power supply?

Many thanks!

Soldato
Windows tends to not like motherboad changes, It may unlicensed the copy of windows but i don't see why the OS itself would have issues as you said after a few driver tweaks.

The laptop comes with an activated copy so I guess when I fire it up it'll eventually activate ? I installed Windows before entering a CD key once and it was already activated, I assume Microsoft must check the mobo again a database?

Back
Top Bottom