Aorus Owner's Lounge

Associate
tagging @Atom80 in this too
it only seems to happen with the models that have the per key rgb backlit keyboards, the older models like the x7 pro-sync didnt have the issue, it was an entirely different coating and i never experienced wear. the newer models have had an entire design overhaul and the keycaps are completely different.
i would also like to see a new keycap design for the affected models that have per key rgb lighting but at the moment, im not really getting my hopes up considering ive waited over a year for an rgb fusion update and my issues with it are still not fixed.
but if you manage to get something done about the keycap issues, that would be absolutely awesome as i do not want to keep having to get my keycaps replaced every few months.
thought id also mention that im already starting to see wear on these keycaps now after getting them replaced a few months ago, guess im going to have to request new keycaps again pretty soon, but would also like a set of switches too as theyre so easily breakable.

ZOwHpTZ.jpg

Blimey!! I do hope the key coating last longer than a few months. Was you seeing the coating coming off on a few keys then or just one like I am? I'm a little concerned now you're having problems with a new set of key caps. I don't like having things that look wrong, especially when its staring at you all the time. I do look after my things very carefully and only ever use recommended products, especially where maintenance is concerned. I know this single cap is going to stick out like a sore thumb, so that means me looking for a new laptop :D Does anyone know if we're going to see a mobile RTX Super? I see that Aorus don't have an RTX2080 laptop out yet either, although they do have a 15" 2070 and it's a full blown one! Still, it's a little bit chunky for me, travelling all the time as I do, the thinner and lighter for me the better. And P3D demands so much!! my X5V8 1070 is starting to cough and splutter under the strain :rolleyes:

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
@Atom80

Having trouble with a X7 DT V7

A few minutes from login windows outputs a random colour and the laptop is unresponsive until you do a hard reboot where the problem repeats itself.

I suspected faulty drivers so I did clean reinstall of all the drivers but no joy.
Tried a factory reset but I still get the problem.
Safe mode worked so I think it's faulty GPU.

If you could shed any light on this problem that would be great but I think it needs repair?

Joe

Hi @Therealjoe - sorry to read your problem. We have spoken to service this morning and yes, it looks like it needs to take a trip to the repair centre for analysis and repair.

Warranty Repair Center Details.

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

Associate
@Atom80 Hey , I currently have an Aorus x7 dt v8 and am thinking about re-pasting the cpu and gpu. I was wondering will i be ok to use liquid metal with the cooler system in this machine or would i need to use a paste? Im currently looking at thermal grizzly line of liq metal/pastes, or would u recommend something else with the laptop hardware?

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
@Atom80 Hey , I currently have an Aorus x7 dt v8 and am thinking about re-pasting the cpu and gpu. I was wondering will i be ok to use liquid metal with the cooler system in this machine or would i need to use a paste? Im currently looking at thermal grizzly line of liq metal/pastes, or would u recommend something else with the laptop hardware?

Hi @FrostFox - Liquid metal could and probably will destroy the cooling pad, cause its pure Copper. Best solution is thermal Grizzly Hydronaut

Hope that's OK.

Regards,

Team AORUS

Associate
@Atom80 and also the other ppl in this thread , after downloading the Intel XTU and MSI afterburner, and doing a little temp research Im a little worried about my cpu temps, after only booting up AC Odyssey and in game a few mins the following pic shows my cpu and gpu temp. GPU as far as im aware is ok but cpu jumps up very quickly and im thermal throttled. Could this be a build problem or do u think a repaste should fix it?

This is with the inbuilt OC options on max.

https://imgur.com/a/G8t6Bhz
G8t6Bhz

Last edited:
Associate
@Atom80 Hey, well after some tweaking at the weekend ive got some control over temps. I repasted the cpu and gpu and mem chips with TG Kryonaut(i know wasnt what was recommended). But still seeing erratic cpu temps and cant keep them from hitting around the 90 mark under load whether its around a 50% load in game or 100% utilization in a benchmark program. Now XTU will show thermal throttle in effect but doesnt drop the cpu clock below 4Ghz while gaming but will throttle to around 3.6Ghz under a benchmark.

CPU undervolted by -0.160 and clock set to 4Ghz
GPU undervolted to 925mV and clock set to 1898MHz

currently stable, GPU hits around high 70s to mid 80s depending on load.

Ive heard of a company in US who did custom paste and pad jobs to the x7 dt v8,could thermal pads instead of paste on mem chips be an option and if so what thickness on what chips? They also used liquid metal on cpu and gpu I know its not ideal for copper but worse on aluminium lol but reports of temps from machines with this setup tend to see high 60s to low 70s for cpu under load which would be awesome :D

edit:- Some pics of ingame stats AC odyssey on HIGH settings
https://imgur.com/a/JKuyZnn

Last edited:
Associate
@Atom80 I'm having problems with the deep fan control not saving the custom points I set. Everytime I boot up the laptop it's setting it to some random configuration not even the deep default. Any ideas what might fix it?

Soldato
@Atom80 Really need some idea what I can do with my Aorus X5 V7, I want to use it, I was it to have some degree or sale value when I eventually sell it, however there are two major things I need to fix with it.

Replace the keyboard and 2 the screws on the IHS no longer have heads (I dremelled grooves as they were knackered and I couldnt get them tight enough, theyre not tight enough but I can't remove the HSF if needed, so need to know if I can in anyway get this repaired.

Associate
@Atom80 been a while since i last heard anything about this, any news on the fixes ive requested for aorus fusion? starting to wonder whether they will ever get fixed. also turns out that setting up macros in the program is also completely broken, i wish i could use the macro engine program from my old x7 pro...

Associate
Been through the mill with Aorus support centre (MendIt) in the UK.

I contacted them about a faulty gpu on the laptop back in early July.
I sent video evidence of the fault and the engineer agreed it would require a gpu swap. (Here is what I sent them https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYLuasYWln8)
Sent it back at the cost of 67 euro because I live in Spain at the moment.
They told me I could pay for cosmetic repairs and a keyboard swap for an aditional £280 but I just said carry on with the original repair because it was only a broken led.
So off they go "fixing" the laptop and once its done I pay the return postage of £68.

Received it back and I read the customer repair form turns out they just did a software update and a couple stress tests, no repair is actually done because they couldn't replicate the problem in their office.
So I boot it up thinking "surely they repaired it I'm just the stupid one" and it seems to work fine for a couple of hours until the dreaded gray screen of death which means either the "fix" didn't work, didn't happen or I'm just hallucinating.

Now I'm £135 short, laptop still broke and my warranty expired because its now August.

Associate
I'm hoping a rep can help me here.

I recently had the mishap of changing the thermal paste on my laptop as a routine procedure. Unfortunately this time the unit would not boot up after this. I used your authorised repair centre I.e mendit, who said due to being a self inflicted fault I.e me changing the thermal paste this has invalidated the warranty. So that confirmed I'd you change the thermal paste yourself your warranty is void

I've paid out for a new £1100 motherboard and fitting and got said unit back however, the temps on the cpu where sky rocketing to 97degrees by simply just being idle on the desktop!

I've complained and they've had the unit back, 4 weeks later I've got the unit back and it still has this issue, yet the report has told me the have worked with gigabyte closely and determined no issue which I find very worrying.

I've opened the laptop up and and found varying thermal pads stuck on, some missing where should there be one, some double stacked on top of another making a thickness of over 2mm at least, and some even not in contact with the heat sink as too thin.

You've listed your thermal pad sizes, told us it's confidential yet when we use your authorised repair centre you dont even fit the right one yourselves! I appreciate you don't want people doing self repairs case fault but for christ sake even if your own repair centres don't use the right sizes and sticking some on top of one another what bloody hope do we have here at all. It honestly felt like a job completed at curry's rather than a professional it centre

Associate
Hi All,

can anyone tell me where i can get the cable below?. Its the sata cable to add a hdd to a 15-x9. I cant find where to get one or any detail on it anywhere

lead.png

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
I'm hoping a rep can help me here.

I recently had the mishap of changing the thermal paste on my laptop as a routine procedure. Unfortunately this time the unit would not boot up after this. I used your authorised repair centre I.e mendit, who said due to being a self inflicted fault I.e me changing the thermal paste this has invalidated the warranty. So that confirmed I'd you change the thermal paste yourself your warranty is void

I've paid out for a new £1100 motherboard and fitting and got said unit back however, the temps on the cpu where sky rocketing to 97degrees by simply just being idle on the desktop!

I've complained and they've had the unit back, 4 weeks later I've got the unit back and it still has this issue, yet the report has told me the have worked with gigabyte closely and determined no issue which I find very worrying.

I've opened the laptop up and and found varying thermal pads stuck on, some missing where should there be one, some double stacked on top of another making a thickness of over 2mm at least, and some even not in contact with the heat sink as too thin.

You've listed your thermal pad sizes, told us it's confidential yet when we use your authorised repair centre you dont even fit the right one yourselves! I appreciate you don't want people doing self repairs case fault but for christ sake even if your own repair centres don't use the right sizes and sticking some on top of one another what bloody hope do we have here at all. It honestly felt like a job completed at curry's rather than a professional it centre

Hi @Shaun26 - sorry to read of your problem, we have spoken with repair centre this morning, and are looking into this for you.

Back
Top Bottom