Aorus Owner's Lounge

Associate
@Atom80
A while back you helped put me in touch with gigabyte support over my X5V7 I was having issues with. It was less then a year old and wouldn't boot up. It went into this constant boot cycle but would always fail.
I sent it in under warranty, and was told the motherboard had failed. The motherboard was replaced then returned to me. Unfortunately that honey moon phase only lasted about another year, as I am having the exact same problems as I was before. Except now my laptop is out of warranty, and getting it fixed again is going to cost over $1100USD.

Is there no warranty on repairs? I am really struggling with the idea of spending another $1100, on a $2500 laptop. With the very likely prospect of it dying in less then a year.
I am looking for advice, or suggestions or help really. What should I do?

I really expected to get 5 years out of it, and finish school. I am starting my last semester of an engineering degree on monday and my laptop is kaput.

Associate
Hey folks - stupid question, but I was poking around in the X7V7's bios but couldn't find the memory settings to enable Intel XMP. Any ideas??

Associate
Hey folks - stupid question, but I was poking around in the X7V7's bios but couldn't find the memory settings to enable Intel XMP. Any ideas??

the bios on the laptop is extremely limited with what you can do with it, the only way really is to modify your bios which is risky unless you 100% know what youre doing.

Soldato
Hi @Atom80 are you aware of any Aorus distributors in Norway? I can only seem to find Aorus motherboards and GFX cards over here, no laptops!

They have to be within Norway otherwise the 25% import tax makes it financially.... crippling!

thanks!

Associate
Hi @Shaun26 - sorry to read of your problem, we have spoken with repair centre this morning, and are looking into this for you.

@Atom80 did you get any feedback on this? Still having temperature issues and I can't replace thermal pads due the sizes being kept more secret than area 51's processes. Yet when I send it to the supplier as stated the wrong thermal pads are fitted anyway. I'm having huge issues with cooling for the cpu

Soldato
@Atom80 did you get any feedback on this? Still having temperature issues and I can't replace thermal pads due the sizes being kept more secret than area 51's processes. Yet when I send it to the supplier as stated the wrong thermal pads are fitted anyway. I'm having huge issues with cooling for the cpu

Can't you just measure the thermal pad thickness? I'd start on the thicker side and keep reducing until performance degraded, or just use TG Kryonaut.

Associate
Just wanted to come on and say that my Aorus X7 V7 (GTX 1080) has packed in. Same issue as the one posted in this thread.

I've had it since August 2017 so it is now outside the 2 year warranty.

The V7 was extremely poor in quality compared to the previous Aorus I bought (whichever one the 2x970M SLI was!) and you could tell Aorus/Gigabyte had poorly designed it this time around. The plastic on top of the laptop (screen side) when closed would "pop" in, it didn't shut flush, it felt flimsy, the lights on the front were blinding when using it in bed, etc.

I'm merely writing this to let others who read this thread and wonder whether it's worth buying one that, as someone who has bought several Aorus products, I will not be buying any more! I have a Razer Blade on order.

I will get a quote from Mendit and if the repair isn't too much (lol) I'll see if I can eBay this one after repair.

Just disappointed. A laptop that costs close to £3k should not be breaking after 2 and a half years with very (and I mean very!) light usage.

Associate
Just wanted to come on and say that my Aorus X7 V7 (GTX 1080) has packed in. Same issue as the one posted in this thread.

I've had it since August 2017 so it is now outside the 2 year warranty.

The V7 was extremely poor in quality compared to the previous Aorus I bought (whichever one the 2x970M SLI was!) and you could tell Aorus/Gigabyte had poorly designed it this time around. The plastic on top of the laptop (screen side) when closed would "pop" in, it didn't shut flush, it felt flimsy, the lights on the front were blinding when using it in bed, etc.

I'm merely writing this to let others who read this thread and wonder whether it's worth buying one that, as someone who has bought several Aorus products, I will not be buying any more! I have a Razer Blade on order.

I will get a quote from Mendit and if the repair isn't too much (lol) I'll see if I can eBay this one after repair.

Just disappointed. A laptop that costs close to £3k should not be breaking after 2 and a half years with very (and I mean very!) light usage.

Yikes starting to put me off buying a £2300 Aorus laptop, might be better off just getting a budget laptop instead then buy a new one every two years.
Nothing seems to last long these days its all built to fail in one or two years and sometimes much sooner.

Associate
@baloney @Atom80 Hello. I've found this thread through google and noticed you guys replying so I've thought I'd try my luck here:
For some time now I've been having a BSOD issue with my x5v7. I get occasional stutters in games, and sometimes during one of these stutters the laptop crashes with a BSOD (DRIVER_VERIFIER_DMA_VIOLATION). This issue persists through Windows reinstalls. I've made sure to have the windows driver verifier disabled, and all the drivers on the system are the latest versions from the drivers update utility. I've contacted Aorus Support through the website, but they haven't been helpful.
hello, i have same issue with my x5 v7 2yo, warranty ended in April this year. and in may it stopped to work completely. i needed it back to life asap because had all my study on hdd, so i found this Eltham computer and laptop repairs here in London, so guy took my laptop and he was fixing it nearly 1.5 months and charged me £300 with new 200W charger. i asked what component he replaced i didnt get an answer. so when i get it back, it was working fine but was getting hot, and after several days it started to get this error(DRIVER_VERIFIER_DMA_VIOLATION). so i decided to re-paste with liquid metal, and again work perfectly only 2 days after started to get this error again. i re-installed windows and all drivers up to date. how to fix it?

Associate
I wish I noticed the same problem that Matzie had before my warranty expired. Now I'm asked to pay £400 for the replacement... not what I'd expect from a £2500 laptop

@Atom80 Are you aware of any way I can get this sorted out? The support ticket I have raised hasn't been very forthcoming and they seem to be ignoring the issue and asking me to pay the £400 to Mendit

Last edited:
Associate
Scratch that, I've just ripped the lid off this POS and connecting it to a monitor. Now I just need to figure out how to get it to boot from HDMI instead of the screen thats no longer attached (Because it figures that their terrible software wouldn't give an option like that in BIOS)

Ignore the above, I'm sick of looking at this PoS. It's now in 1000 pieces in the bottom of a bin. Just thinking of it makes me feel sick to the stomach without a constant visual reminder of being taken for a £2000 ride. Will never buy anything from a company that should be selling their products on Wish

Last edited:
Associate
Hi, Had the x7 v8 for 18 months and the power adapter blew all my electrical sockets today and packed in. Never been dropped or moved and never experienced this with any others before.
Trying to find a replacement is proving difficult and Gigabyte informed me it's Chinese new year and may be late getting back to me when I put a ticket request in.
Does anyone know if the 2 year warranty will cover it? Or of any alternative compatible power adapters?
Thanks.

Associate
Hi, Had the x7 v8 for 18 months and the power adapter blew all my electrical sockets today and packed in. Never been dropped or moved and never experienced this with any others before.
Trying to find a replacement is proving difficult and Gigabyte informed me it's Chinese new year and may be late getting back to me when I put a ticket request in.
Does anyone know if the 2 year warranty will cover it? Or of any alternative compatible power adapters?
Thanks.
Do you have the input/output of the power supply? I can probably send you the one from my V7 X7 if they match

Associate
Do you have the input/output of the power supply? I can probably send you the one from my V7 X7 if they match
Hi, thanks for that kind offer, i believe the v8 requires 250w and after searching all day it seems that the v7 is 230/240w? Input is 100-240v output is 19.5v.
I can't believe there's none available. I've messaged Gigabyte and the reps responsible for the uk, who knows when they will reply though. Might have to risk getting another brand with the same specs.

Thanks very much for the offer though.

Back
Top Bottom