app cost - how much should i expect to pay?

i'm looking at getting an app created for android in particular, but also iphone would be good.

i've no idea what the costs are for this so figured i'd see what you guys would suggest.

i'm simply looking for a quote and booking request system, very similar to what i've got here.

http://www.mayercarpetcleaning.co.uk/online-quote/

you can see the form asks which service you want, then collects basic customer info, then property details and a total is displayed, then if the user wants to request a book a couple clicks and it's done.

Associate
Not sure of the cost I've only ever made them for work but from a technical perspective what you want is easy so I'd be shocked if you were quoted thousands! It can be done for all platforms in one go too from one code base.

Associate
You have to ask yourself whether an app is required for this sort of task? Do you envisage people using the app regularly, as it seems like it would be more of a one-time thing?
If I am your potential customer, what benefit would I have in downloading your app rather than using a mobile-friendly website?
How would I find out about your app? It's quite niche, surely it would be easier to find your website on google than find it on an app store?

Soldato
You have to ask yourself whether an app is required for this sort of task? Do you envisage people using the app regularly, as it seems like it would be more of a one-time thing?
If I am your potential customer, what benefit would I have in downloading your app rather than using a mobile-friendly website?
How would I find out about your app? It's quite niche, surely it would be easier to find your website on google than find it on an app store?

Yeah would've thought a mobile optimised site would get more footfall than an app

Associate
Yeah would've thought a mobile optimised site would get more footfall than an app

And also in this day and age there are App Wrappers that basically just load a web-view inside them and act like a normal App. This is possibly easier and much cheaper overall.

Pho

Pho

Soldato
A mobile optimised site is much better. Unless you're a very big company I doubt anyone would bother installing an app - I wouldn't. You already have a working site, just apply some mobile css to it and away you go.

Soldato
Unless there's specific reasons, which there doesn't appear to be any in this case, for a native platform app then you're better off with a web app/optimised mobile site especially as it'll (generally) be more cost effective and it'll target a wider audience.

Plus most platforms support pinning shortcuts (with icons) to the home screen/app drawer for easy launching/access.

Associate
Your web form page is already responsive and displays ok on a phone so I would stick to that.

Maybe tidy it up a bit.

I don't know whether QR codes are widely used but you could perhaps include one in you advertising to direct people to your booking form web page.

Soldato
The first job for you is to make your website display properly on a mobile phone, because at the moment it's not perfect. It needs a few tweeks, e.g. the way the phone number displays so it doesn't block out the logo etc etc.

Then like others have said, I would create a booking facility on your website, mobile optimised of course. It's good that you are offering a discount for online booking, as that should drive usage.

Like others have said, creating a standalone app is unlikely to pay off, because you will have a problem with app discovery. However, Google is working to improve this, so your investment in an app might be worthwhile. Google is working on Android apps that install instantly. That said, it could all be achieved through your website.

Soldato
Already been said but just to pitch in, absolutely no need for an app for something like this. Even huge chain restaurants have no need for booking apps because a website does as good a job, if not better.

Associate
Agreed with everyone else. If a company forced me to download their app in order to make a booking or get a quote I would go elsewhere.

Soldato
OP
thanks guys for the advice. you're right now i think about it, and perhaps something for the future.

what i described really was the start and something i'd expand on over time adding more features for both customers and staff as having staff able to quote easily out in the field would be valuable, but as you say a well optimised mobile page will do that, and perhaps an app wrapper will be the way to go in the future.

part of the idea of having an app was the authority it brings. i'm in an industry that is full of here today gone tomorrow companies. we're now vat registered so now charging a fair bit more than our competition, and anything we can do to show we're a legit company helps. Even if the customer never used the app i'm sure seeing that we have one will help to get them to chose us.

Soldato
If you already have the assets for the apps then you'd probably only be looking around £250 - £300 for both then running costs unless you take over any updates and app store costs yourself.

You'd be better off with a mobile site for this as others have said. To be honest your current mobile site is quite nice as it is.

Back
Top Bottom