Apple becomes most valuable firm of all time

Soldato
It’s interesting how people have different expectations. Something I do not do is transfer videos to my smartphone. Never mind the fact that my life doesn’t give me enough time to waste watching videos, who in this world wants to watch videos on such a small screen anyway?

My commute by train to work takes 30 minutes, I have lunch times at work - sometimes I take an hour, if I'm in work on an evening or weekend and it's quiet I might watch something on my phone. So yeah, I do watch videos quite a bit. To be fair these days I can just stream Netflix or Youtube on 4G so it's not actually as big of a deal as it used to be.

Soldato
It’s interesting how people have different expectations. Something I do not do is transfer videos to my smartphone. Never mind the fact that my life doesn’t give me enough time to waste watching videos, who in this world wants to watch videos on such a small screen anyway?

depends if you like 90s and 00s retro though

I remember back then copying video files across, and carrying a huge stereo around on my shoulder

would love to see a pic of someone carrying a large screen TV onto the bus. anyone?

Caporegime
Soldering parts on won't improve anything.

They are basically selling you a less capable and less future proof PC for double the price. The components are the same, only difference is the BIOS which is OFC locked down so you can't do anything with it.

I mean for the company it improves a lot it removes manufacturing steps and bulk and undeed parts etc

Apple eels it a products mainly on thin light and simple. Not upgradable

Caporegime

Surely though its quote common to transfer videos off your smart phone?

Associate
Yup, cpu is reasonable as you rarely hear of a cpu dying compared to other components. Soldering in ram, ssd, riveting in the keyboard are all measures to make sure the laptop has a pretty limited lifespan and that you need to fork over more money once one of the soldered components ***** the bed. That video i posted above of Louis Rossman shows a lot of this, to even replace a keyboard you have to remove 50-100 rivets and rethread the holes. A fisher price baby's first pc probably has more user friendly upgrade options than the apple equivalent.

I don't really get the hate towards the Macs, I have had mine nearly 5 years now, not had 1 issue with it, just open it up use it, close the lid.

This was my first ever mac before I had, had, Dell XPS's and some custom gaming laptop, all of these had a lot more issues than my mac.

Associate
Not heard of it but from a quick Google that only works ios to mac os?

Does it work to pcs or do you need iTunes like the poster said which caused the format problem?

I don't know, I was just telling you the best "common" way to transfer files of your iPhone.....

I use it to transfer files to my Mac, there may be a way to get it to work on Windows, Fortunately I don't have to use it anymore, apart from at work :(

Soldato
I'll be honest, other than my Ipod Shuffle that gets used a lot, albeit annoying to have to use Itunes to transfer new songs. I can't stand their other devices due to their ecosystem and being locked in.

Caporegime
I'm not sure why people feel locked in? I owned an iPhone before I owned a MacBook and I own a kindle fire despite having a Mac now.

I might well switch to something other than an iPhone in future I'm not particularly fussed there.

The reason for the MacBook Pro though was it is was simply it is well made, best trackpad and minimal fuss. Plus I couldn't stand the new windows on the Dell XPS I initially bought plus switching to Linux was a bit of a faff including compatibility issues with the high red display etc...

Soldato
I'm not sure why people feel locked in? I owned an iPhone before I owned a MacBook and I own a kindle fire despite having a Mac now.

I might well switch to something other than an iPhone in future I'm not particularly fussed there.

The reason for the MacBook Pro though was it is was simply it is well made, best trackpad and minimal fuss. Plus I couldn't stand the new windows on the Dell XPS I initially bought plus switching to Linux was a bit of a faff including compatibility issues with the high red display etc...

Macs don't spend 30mins doing updates though, so if your boss asks why you didn't meet a deadline you don't really have an excuse

Then another excuse the following day when the update breaks windows

https://www.theinquirer.net/inquire...keep-your-windows-10-users-bork-free-for-cash

Windows is good for coming up with excuses

oh, and my XPS 13 9360 nearly set a holiday inn on fire so there's that

Permabanned
Macs don't spend 30mins doing updates though, so if your boss asks why you didn't meet a deadline you don't really have an excuse

Then another excuse the following day when the update breaks windows

https://www.theinquirer.net/inquire...keep-your-windows-10-users-bork-free-for-cash

Windows is good for coming up with excuses

oh, and my XPS 13 9360 nearly set a holiday inn on fire so there's that

True, the mac at worked updated the other day and took 3 hours.

Soldato
Grats to Apple for finally Breaking the top 7! :p

dutchtradingcompare2.jpg

Soldato
Yup, cpu is reasonable as you rarely hear of a cpu dying compared to other components. Soldering in ram, ssd, riveting in the keyboard are all measures to make sure the laptop has a pretty limited lifespan and that you need to fork over more money once one of the soldered components ***** the bed. That video i posted above of Louis Rossman shows a lot of this, to even replace a keyboard you have to remove 50-100 rivets and rethread the holes. A fisher price baby's first pc probably has more user friendly upgrade options than the apple equivalent.

Yes and they stop supporting old hardware after 7 years afaik. So after that point you won't get any more OS updates (or security updates) and have to buy a whole new system.

With a windows PC you can slap in an SSD, some more ram and the latest OS and it will extend the life for many years. Microsoft won't cut you off.

What I also find dumb is Apple no longer updates OpenGL on their OS either. So Mac gaming is once again fading in to obscurity, because their own graphics API is crap and no one can be bothered to support it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Re the phones, I choose Apple now irrelevant if the hardware isn't quite the leader simply as a result of the coherent interface that is simple and won't melt your eyes with nasty typeface, colors and inconsistency. That's the problem with Android. To get anything remotely acceptable, it needs to be bare bones or heavily customised and even then it's not ideal. Have you seen the way the Samsung phone book looks, yikes.

Soldato
Apple make great hardware, I just don't understand why they feel they need to be so restrictive on what you can do with your phone. My S9+ can basically do anything a PC can, on my iPhone I'd struggle to transfer video files across because I had to use iTunes and they needed to be in a specific format. Plus there's no expandable memory, can't now use your own headphones. Way too restrictive on what is otherwise great hardware.

If you are trying to put video's onto the phone like a movie you can side load it into the VLC app within iTunes. VLC can play almost any video file format. VLC will also play from a plex library or directly from a network location.

Back
Top Bottom