• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Apple M1 CPU

Associate
Big claims from Apple with their M1 chip!

'World's Fastest CPU performance per watt"
"World's Fastest Integrated Graphics!'

- 5nm l 16 Billion transistors.
- 8 core CPU (4 high perf, 4 high efficiency)
- 8 core GPU (integrated, 2.6 TFLOPS)
- 16-core Neural Engine

#AppleEvent https://t.co/BRCK8pGvhi

How does Intel's and AMD's latest offerings compare?

Soldato
Really depend on what you referring to as fastest. It’s not like a 100miles spring when it comes to CPU metrics. Sure that ARM based chip can do lots of instructions per watt. But compared with intel and AMD instructions they are not the same.

that CPU will clearly have lots of limitations on what it can and can’t do and will need loads of other dedicated cores or processors to fulfill what a Morden computer needs to do.

Associate
Hard to compare as honestly speaking, if I'm using apple hardware, I'm gonna use Apple software, final cut pro to what i've seen just blows away premiere, and the performance gap is gonna be bigger now with apple hardware.

Associate
Ironically, the most significant improvement here may well be the memory architecture which is completely separate from the move to ARM.
With the RAM being on the same package as the cores, the improved latency and bandwidth may be very dramatic.
This seemingly explains the performance gains being claimed for a chip with so few performance cores.

Soldato
It looks like a big improvement over the Intel U series used in the products the M1 will be used in, so I have no doubt on it being that much faster for low powered devices, but for it to be the fastest? We're going to need to wait for reviews. There's no Apple chip yet for the higher end MacBook Pros, iMacs and Mac Pro, and I doubt the M1 scaled up will outperform these. CPU wise there's probably not too much work (Even Apple commented on Intel's slow progression in their presentation) but GPU wise I can't see integrated graphics replacing dedicated graphics, unless Apple also comes with their own GPU chip as a super large SoC will just be too expensive even for Apple.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

Will be interesting no doubt, but surely the 16gb ram limitation is an issue with the target market? (Content creators, video editing etc)

I think its fair to say the majority of apple's target market are the type of people who will slurp up whatever product they give them lol.

Id probably wait until gen 2 or 3 of their ARM macbooks to get one as the 13" pro is what im looking for.

Associate
Will be interesting no doubt, but surely the 16gb ram limitation is an issue with the target market? (Content creators, video editing etc)

It's going in a Macbook Air, surely the intended market for this is reasonably light duty?

If you're going to put a super efficient chip that gives you plenty of battery life, runs cool, has mobile support etc this seems like the product to do it on.

Soldato
I think its fair to say the majority of apple's target market are the type of people who will slurp up whatever product they give them lol.

Id probably wait until gen 2 or 3 of their ARM macbooks to get one as the 13" pro is what im looking for.
What do you use the 13” pro for that other laptops can’t fulfill.

I am always asking the same questions to mac users, what is it that you need from mac specifically that you think you can’t get from windows based laptops or PCs.

It’s an odd one. No one can give a very satisfactory answers. All it really boils down to is they REALLY like the logo.

Soldato
They were showing off video editing software in the presentation as a "strong point". 16gb is more than enough for users who does basic editing, but for professionals 16gb will definitely be a bottleneck. I'm more curious how well the media encoder on the M1 chip performs in this regard, if it's close to CPU encoding quality then I can see why Apple put emphasis on it.

Soldato
Expect the tech press to hype it to the ends of the world. I think a few have shown benchmarks compared to desktop CPUs.However,what they convenient ignore is a few basic facts:
1.)Like all ARM based performance CPUs they HAVE to be on a cutting edge node,which masks the enormous amount of transistors they use at each generation.
2.)The M4 is basically a quad core with 4 lower power cores,but uses 16 billion transistors.
3.)Most of the benchmarks we have seen,appear to be lightly threaded ones too(so best case of maximum clockspeed boost).
4.)Also ignores that CPUs such as AMD Zen,use things such as IF which scale very well with more cores,but is a big part of the power budget of the CPU. The chiplets are designed to be scaleable to 100s of cores.
5.)Have much more IO capabilities unlike a laptop CPU,which does also required more transistors and more power.
6.)Still monolithic designs,unlike AMD who has realised new nodes are getting harder. AMD are prepared for this.
7.)Apple CPUs are tightly integrated with the OS which runs on them. You can see how even AMD and Intel CPUs can perform better under Linux for example.

A 16C Zen3 will probably use less transistors with two chiplets with 16C and 32 threads. Each Zen2 chiplet with 8C/16T is around 3.9 billion transistors. AMD Renoir is 9.8 billlion transistors and is an SOC.

So I would be utterly suprised if Apple is essentially making a 4C SOC with so many transistors on a cutting edge process,and they can't post very good single threaded and lightly threaded scores.

Last edited:

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

What do you use the 13” pro for that other laptops can’t fulfill.

I am always asking the same questions to mac users, what is it that you need from mac specifically that you think you can’t get from windows based laptops or PCs.

It’s an odd one. No one can give a very satisfactory answers. All it really boils down to is they REALLY like the logo.

I just want to be well versed in various OS's it be quite honest! I already have a great desktop PC which I use as my main, but as a portable laptop i would just have a macbook as its different to what I use on my main PC. But like I said, im in no rush, and will happily wait

Just to add to that, I would never consider a desktop mac, only laptops.

Soldato

iOS development. It's why I bought my first MacBook...

Back
Top Bottom