Apple October event - Scary Fast - October 30th - 23:59z for the UK!

Soldato
Now I'm really interested to see what Qualcomm brings with its X lineup, given its promising 50% higher performance than M2 which would make it faster than the M3 lineup. Apple could be about to lose its performance efficiency crown

Only if the software supports it. Show me a Linux or Windows machine that runs on ARM with great performance

Soldato
Now I'm really interested to see what Qualcomm brings with its X lineup, given its promising 50% higher performance than M2 which would make it faster than the M3 lineup. Apple could be about to lose its performance efficiency crown
Given Qualcomm can’t compete with mobile processors I’m not overly confident. If they do, I suspect it’ll come at the cost of efficiency.

Associate
Only if the software supports it. Show me a Linux or Windows machine that runs on ARM with great performance
Tried a WOA laptop recently… utterly mince, even with supported software. Returned within a day of receiving it. They’re not even in the same time zone, never mind in the room!

Insane that WOA on an M series Mac via virtualisation is better performance.

Don
Soldato
Qualcomm does very well in the smartphone space. You're too focused on benchmark numbers.

They do, but Apple are still ahead.

In terms of performance and experience, current gen Qualcomm is usually equivalent to the previous gen Apple silicon.

Benchmarks are, ultimately, one of the more consistent methods to calculate performance.

Soldato
It'll be interesting to see the long term effect of Qualcomm purchasing Nuvia which was a load of ex Apple lead Silicon engineers, some of their ARM stuff looks pretty interesting.

Soldato
I think of all the announcements that happened at the event, the cheeky little "shot on iPhone 15 pro" at the end was the biggest. Not a single person knew that it was, nobody would have guessed and that is outstanding. I dont think it'll be much longer before these devices are used to shoot budget series for netflix and similar given whats on offer.

Soldato
I think of all the announcements that happened at the event, the cheeky little "shot on iPhone 15 pro" at the end was the biggest. Not a single person knew that it was, nobody would have guessed and that is outstanding. I dont think it'll be much longer before these devices are used to shoot budget series for netflix and similar given whats on offer.

Given how "meh" the actual announcements were, I have a feeling this was the entire rationale behind it.

Soldato
In theory? They could merge. In reality? It's not going to happen.

Why would they merge? MS profit last year was more than qualcomms worth.

MS could “easily” buy if they wanted. The market you could say is pretty saturated as well with Apple, Intel, AMD and Nvidia all competitive in the space so don’t think it would be ruled out as a monopoly move either.

Having said all that. I agree it won’t happen.

Last edited:
Soldato
Why would they merge? MS profit last year was more than qualcomms worth.

MS could “easily” buy if they wanted. The market you could say is pretty saturated as well with Apple, Intel, AMD and Nvidia all competitive in the space so don’t think it would be ruled out as a monopoly move either.

Having said all that. I agree it won’t happen.

Merger or acquisition is technically about the structuring of the deal rather than how you pay for it. Deals of this size are often handled as mergers rather than acquisitions. MS is paying all-cash for Activision Blizzard, but it's still structured as a merger when you read the fine print.

Regardless, this is a technicality about how they want to structure the new business and has no bearing towards Microsoft's ability to do it or not (of course they do).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom