Apple Product Recall

Soldato
Apple has determined that, in a limited number of older generation 15-inch MacBook Pro units, the battery may overheat and pose a fire safety risk. Affected units were sold primarily between September 2015 and February 2017.

If you think you may have an affected device you need to go to the official Apple page concerning this safety issue: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/15-inch-macbook-pro-battery-recall

Then choose a store and take your laptop in to get the battery replaced. Not sure on the turnaround for this.

Soldato
I got this email too. I’m towards the end of writing my PhD thesis so I really can’t afford to be without my laptop for a second. If you manage to find out the turnaround time I would be most grateful!

The cynic in me wonders if apple forgot to build in planned obsolescence to the 2015 rMBP battery as I still find it a fantastic piece of kit... hence the recall!

Soldato
OP
I got this email too. I’m towards the end of writing my PhD thesis so I really can’t afford to be without my laptop for a second. If you manage to find out the turnaround time I would be most grateful!

The cynic in me wonders if apple forgot to build in planned obsolescence to the 2015 rMBP battery as I still find it a fantastic piece of kit... hence the recall!

The TAT is allegedly 2-3 weeks, as it must be sent off to Apple/approved repairer.

I know! I bought the 2.8GHz i7 with 1TB SSD and it is still a beast. It is only worth £350 against a new MBP though, so not sure if it is worth a trade-in. I've done a Time Machine backup, and will factory restore it before sending it off.

Soldato
Work at a store, can be anywhere from 5 days to 2 weeks depending on many different variables.

Depends also on what the depot do to fix the issue.
We have had some back with battery replacements (rather then topcase) in ~ 6 days
Longest wait we’ve had so far is one machine we booked in a few days after announcing the program which we only just her back to store recently - was a customers old machine so happy to wit

Soldato
Work at a store, can be anywhere from 5 days to 2 weeks depending on many different variables.
Depends also on what the depot do to fix the issue.
We have had some back with battery replacements (rather then topcase) in ~ 6 days
Longest wait we’ve had so far is one machine we booked in a few days after announcing the program which we only just her back to store recently - was a customers old machine so happy to wit

They're being sent to the Czech Republic aren't they, we've had a couple back quickly too though :)

Soldato
“We never sell any 15” .. it won’t be that bad” ...
Entire RR filled up with discharging and RFP 15” ..

We've not had a massive amount, couple a day maybe. Luckily I don't deal with the shop much, mainly just repairs, but I know our main shop guy got some stick when he told them the TAT lol. He was so happy when a few of them came quicker than expected.

Soldato
OP
Would you recommend factory resetting before submitting for recall?
We've not had a massive amount, couple a day maybe. Luckily I don't deal with the shop much, mainly just repairs, but I know our main shop guy got some stick when he told them the TAT lol. He was so happy when a few of them came quicker than expected.

Soldato
I don't really know why this time. We have had repair extension programs in the past for batteries which we have repaired in house. Think it might be because they are changing just the battery this time and also because they are dangerous. Usually it's a just a case of a whole top casing replacement (on models where they batteries are glued in).

Soldato
They replaced the top case on mine. Yeah, maybe if they're changing just the GLUED IN battery it makes sense to set fire to the Czech Republic rather than the Trafford Centre. ;)

Pro-Tip : Don't GLUE IN the battery next time and make it non-serviceable. Use screws like a normal computer company.

Soldato
Was only curious - in the retail store were flooded
Although it’s eased off now

I know, sorry if my reply seemed snappy, it definitely wasn't intended as so, I just wasn't sure if you meant me or not. :)

Most of our work comes through as insurance repairs, most of it OOW. We only have our shop because it's a requirement for us to be accredited etc so the shop side is not the busiest, certainly no where near what you guys must get in!

Back
Top Bottom