Apple seen unloading new MacBook Pros and (possibly) iMacs at WWDC

I know I'm gonna be tempted with new MBPs but I'm holding out for Leopard now no matter what happens :)

Heard they might discontinue the mini, although I can only see that happening if they introduce a good enough reason to shell out for an iMac (e.g. sweet update ;))

i think the mini is a good thing... i dont see why they would drop it, unless they were bringing out something similar ?
it seems the mini has done a lot for them. giving people a chance to run a mac for the first time at little cost.

Robotica said:
i think the mini is a good thing... i dont see why they would drop it, unless they were bringing out something similar ?
it seems the mini has done a lot for them. giving people a chance to run a mac for the first time at little cost.

I agree, the reason they bought it out was because shareholders wanted them to produce a desktop Mac that was under £600, but apparently it was a rush for them to produce it. There is also rumours they will be bringing out new Mac Mini's with built in iPod docks, which would be quite handy and make it an ideal media server for living rooms.

The mini is a brilliant machine, but it's bordering on treading on the toes of the apple tv unit imo. Wouldn't surprise me if they dropped the mini and brought something in at a slightly higher price point, but obviously well below the base iMac.

Cant' see me upgrading either of my minis, but a macbook pro with decent battery life might persuade me to get the cash out :)

Here's a bit of a rumour round-up:

1. Mac Mini will be dropped. See here for a fairly well-written 'obituary'.
2. The 17" iMac will be dropped. See here (and a number of other places).
3. The MBPs will gain LED-backlit screens, starting with the 15" model. They may also move to the new Santa Rosa platform and receive a CPU speed bump to parallel that which was recently applied to the Macbook range. See here and here.
4. I've also read a rumour that a new 13.3" LED-backlit MBP will be introduced, harking back to the old 12" Powerbooks / iBooks, but annoyingly I can't find the source :p

I appreciate some of the above are a little old now, but it's always good to have things in one place :)

arty

That's where I get all my rumours from. I have them on RSS. Apparently the past ones that were made by Apple insider have been very accurate, so fingers crossed there will be something very good produced at Junes WWDC.

gumbald said:
If they do drop the Mini, will there still be stock available? :confused:

I'd expect them to be snapped up fairly quickly; to be honest, I've seen quite a bit of demand for the Minis from HTPC bods and the like so I'll be a little surprised if they are dropped.

arty

As you mentioned, with the Mini being out-specced by the AppleTV then there's definately something about to happen..

Whether Apple choose to boost the specs (Core2Duo, bigger HD etc..) or they choose to ditch the mini, then it's anyones guess.

It'd be perfect for my parents as their main computer, but I was reluctant to get one while there was still Core Duo in them, as I was expecting an impending upgrade...

Reckon I should bring forward buying it, or wait and see what happens?

gumbald said:
It'd be perfect for my parents as their main computer, but I was reluctant to get one while there was still Core Duo in them, as I was expecting an impending upgrade...

Reckon I should bring forward buying it, or wait and see what happens?
Can't hurt to wait.. at least you'll know if they're going to upgrade / ditch it :)

Well, IF they are ditched then they wouldn't just pull the mini's off the site overnight.

You should be able to get one for a while on the UK site, either refurb or new like they did with the iMac G5 when the intel Mac was released.. just had to look harder on the site :)

Well they'll be on the UK site (to buy new) for a while afterwards, as I said ^

i really doubt they would just drop it..without having a similar product in place.
although they may feel like its not doing much for them now. what they really need is a mac for the enthusiast, something people can customize at home with GFX RAM and HD but not at the price of a macpro.. somthing like a mac pro jr.

something around £700-800

Robotica said:
i really doubt they would just drop it..without having a similar product in place.
although they may feel like its not doing much for them now. what they really need is a mac for the enthusiast, something people can customize at home with GFX RAM and HD but not at the price of a macpro.. somthing like a mac pro jr.

something around £700-800

I read a rumour about a slightly lower spec Mac Pro for around £1000.

EVH said:
Well they'll be on the UK site (to buy new) for a while afterwards, as I said ^

Talking of updating and removing models, does anyone know if a MacBook Pro was released on 11th June at WWDC, how long it would be until it was available in the UK?

Justin said:
Talking of updating and removing models, does anyone know if a MacBook Pro was released on 11th June at WWDC, how long it would be until it was available in the UK?

AFAIK, it should be 3 to 5 days, if not, 24hrs (plus delivery time e.t.c.)

They usually update the sites when the keynote is on...

Back
Top Bottom