Apple Student prices vs elsewhere

Associate
My daughter is gong to university and has requested a MacBook Air (2017).

As she doesn't yet have a student id we can't see the Apple store prices for students for a MacBook Air to compare to other vendors.

Are the Apple store prices for students for a MacBook Air cheaper than that can be found elsewhere?

Soldato
Buy from these guys.

https://www.theedustore.co.uk

Cheaper than the Edu apple store. Legit, 4 year free warranty but you need ac.uk email address to buy so probably have to wait until she is at uni.

First year warranty is with Apple direct, last 3 years is direct with them, the warranty is not transferable though ( i asked them about this,)

They are an official apple reseller

Associate
Yea the air is basically a 2011 model, 6 year old shell at this point with a poor screen. I run a 12" macbook which is slimmer, much better screen and actually faster now.

Soldato
As long as you don't mind getting one with a US keyboard you can get decent pricing as a non-student, and sometimes a lot better than the discount on offer.

Apple Macbook Air 13.3 Dual-Core i5 1.8GHz 8GB 256GB Silver - MQD42 [US Keyboard] - £919 (Apple Price £1099)
Apple Macbook Pro 2017 13.3" Retina Dual-core i5 2.3Ghz 8GB 128GB Silver - MPXR2 [US Keyboard] - £1039 (Apple Price £1249)
Apple Macbook Pro 13.3" Retina Dual-core i5 2.9Ghz 8GB 256GB with Touch ID & Touch Bar Space Grey - MLH12 (2016 New Version) [US Keyboard] - £1249 (Apple Price £1749)

Just a few examples, I know lots of people like buying direct from Apple, for warranty and that sort of thing, but they don't realise that it is a worldwide warranty so end up paying over the odds for nothing extra, just lining Apple's pockets further. You might get a discount for the Apple care, but again that can be bought separately for a similar amount if you want it.

Associate
One thing to consider is that on top of the student pricing, Apple are currently doing a deal whereby you get Beats earbuds with Macs and iPad Pros... I think Beats X... you can pay a bit more for Powerbeats 3 or a load more for Beats Solo. But anyway, you could keep them or sell them to offset the cost to some extent.

Buying a Mac gets you Beats of your choice from, the Powerbeats 3, beatsX or Solo3 . You only have to pay for the solo or powerbeats the if you are buying an iPad Pro.

Back
Top Bottom